GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 31st 2007, 15:08

CLKWRK's Ghia

I have searched and have not found any info on CLRWRK's ghia. Anyone know what series of 205 tires he has on his ghia. And if he used dropped spindles or adjustable beam or shortened beam? I have a 74 ghia and have some 16x6 1/2 wheels, with a 46 offset being delivered tomorrow. I want a low enough profile tire because I want to lower the front end in the future. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old May 31st 2007, 17:28

hiya,

17" Konig rims off an accord, on 205/40/17 falken tires all around, the offset is 40mm
Up front:
2" CB drop spindles with adjusters (that are set to max so they arent really used) ,bilstein yellow shocks, whiteline 22mm sway bar, stock brakes with redrilled rotor 100x4, stock torsion bars and stock width. I had a 2" narrower beam in before but the wheels diddnt fill the wheel well as nicely and tended to rub when turning full right or left.

Back:
bilstein shocks, bugpack 24mm sway bar, golf 2 calipers, empi redrilled rotors 100x4 with 3/8" machined off the face to tuck the wheels in, stock torsion bars.

this combo works for me and handles quite well even with the weight of the turbo hanging out the back.

One thing to note, I have raised the car up about an inch since those pics were taken, it handles much nicer and still looks good

Bry

Last edited by CLKWRK; May 31st 2007 at 17:35.
Old May 31st 2007, 18:46

Hey CLKWRK,

Have you dyno'd your Ghia to see how much power and torque it produces?

I'm really curious as to how the transmission is holding up as the early Porsche 5 speeds are reportedly not able to withstand too much torque. I would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks

DORIGTT
Old June 1st 2007, 02:31

How wide are your rims?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLKWRK View Post
hiya,

17" Konig rims off an accord, on 205/40/17 falken tires all around, the offset is 40mm
Up front:
2" CB drop spindles with adjusters (that are set to max so they arent really used) ,bilstein yellow shocks, whiteline 22mm sway bar, stock brakes with redrilled rotor 100x4, stock torsion bars and stock width. I had a 2" narrower beam in before but the wheels diddnt fill the wheel well as nicely and tended to rub when turning full right or left.

Back:
bilstein shocks, bugpack 24mm sway bar, golf 2 calipers, empi redrilled rotors 100x4 with 3/8" machined off the face to tuck the wheels in, stock torsion bars.

this combo works for me and handles quite well even with the weight of the turbo hanging out the back.

One thing to note, I have raised the car up about an inch since those pics were taken, it handles much nicer and still looks good

Bry
Old June 1st 2007, 08:57

CLKWRK,

Before you raised your ghia 1" do you think it would have been possible to run a taller tire? Like a 205/45/17.
Old June 1st 2007, 10:50

There was no extra room for bigger tires, especially in the back part of the rear arch, bigger tires would make the front valance rub if I turn the wheel too far.

I am aware of the 901's weak 1st gear so I am very ginger with it at lights, its more of an autocross friendly tranny than a drag tranny, so far the transmission is holding fine. Presently the engine is out getting some more goodies put in, then fresh paint and maybe some dyno time.
It does feel like a 200 hp car, but I have never dynoed it.
7" wide rims

-B-