GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old July 12th 2007, 08:43

I've been chasing the same issue for two weeks -- and just now found this thread.

I've got a BJ Beetle with new CB 2.5" narrowed beam and drop spindles. The RHS is +/-0 degrees with the stock eccentric bushing set to neutral and the best I can get on the LHS is +2 degrees with the eccentric fully cranked. I can get to +1 degrees on the LHS with an aftermarket eccentric, but want -1.5 degrees. The springs pocket grub screw locations are correct (sides to center). Looks like I need to double-check the beam...

Last edited by Kafer_Mike; July 12th 2007 at 08:46.
Old July 12th 2007, 09:16

i would reccommend bending the arm the other way is alot of work
zx7rr

Last edited by speedy; July 12th 2007 at 09:21.
Old July 21st 2007, 17:27

I pulled the beam apart to check the upper and lower tube alignment. They were equal. I replaced the spring stacks with a new set from CB (the old ones were a set I had cut down), put the beam back together, installed the spindles -- same issue. It has to be the spindle...

Speedy and Bill K -- It's been over a year since you posted on this topic. What did you guys end up doing to correct the problem??
Old July 22nd 2007, 22:10

Mike, there is no easy answer , i tackled the beam and added camber buy extending the bottom tube but this is difficult .Many people have said to bend the top arms in with a hydralic press 10mm will correct it but it is weather you can find anybody to perform this .
I have read that people have heated the top arms to bend them and have had no problems but i personnally wouldn't heat them .
If i was to do it again i think i would have the bottom beam rubber bushes made out of ptfe( hard self lubricating plastic )that is often used in bushings and extended 10mm further out , a cheap fix as they are not difficut to make in a machine shop and cut down an old set of springs and redimple them 10mm further out .
I must stress i have not done this but would if i needed to change the camber again rather than tackle the beam.
hope this helps
jon
zx7rr
Old July 23rd 2007, 13:23

My untested solution was to buy replacement upper and lower arms. When I get around to installation, I'll report on results. But don't hold your breathe...
Old July 24th 2007, 10:19

Thanks guys. I double-checked (and triple-checked) the alignment of the beam tubes, spring stacks and grub screw locations. All are correct. I pulled the CB drop spindle and installed a stock spindle -- and the positive camber issue is still present. Keep in mind that the RHS is okay. The only thing left is to replace the LHS upper and lower control arms. I'll let you know...