GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old June 28th 2008, 19:11

hi jason/ jeff.
glad to hear things are going well in your part of the world , i have my beetle on the road at the moment and am fitting the new fuel injection next week , i have had to go to 560cc injectors on boost to stop the detonating and believe me it goes like stink , i am of to bugjam on the 18 july with the bug and ghia so helen is putting the ghia down the track and i am doing the bug , we are looking at a new house at the moment so the car spending may come to an abrupt halt in the not to distant future . Hope Pam and Michele are well.
cheers jon
zx7rr
Old June 29th 2008, 02:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
I saw the car from a mile away, just didn't think it was a CHP!!

Jason
ha ha ha I feel ya on that one bro, been there dont that ALOT!!! I bet the cop couldnt beleive the car could do that kind of speed. Oh yeah ya got any new pics of the beast? I cant wait to see it in person. I am almost done with my new rebuild but it isnt even close to the drivetrain you have going on!
Old June 29th 2008, 04:02

We DEFINATELY need pics/video of the bug and the ghia at the track!!! Didn't you say you needed to get an HD video camera? Helen's a lead foot you know...

Good luck on the injector install, how 'bout some more pic updates? Where is your thread anyway!!!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old June 29th 2008, 20:43

...And how about some pics of the other event?!?

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old August 6th 2008, 20:08

I ordered a new radiator yesterday. The old one had suffered too much at the hands of vicious pavement, and finally the leaking would not self repair. The new one will be 3" wider and about 1" shorter, so I'll gain and inch of clearance. I'll also be fabricating a sort of cage to protect it from future damage and finally get on to making the duct system to feed it air, although so far airflow hasn't seemed to be an issue.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old August 8th 2008, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkdent View Post
although so far airflow hasn't seemed to be an issue.

Jason
This is very good.
VKG Bastage child
Old August 8th 2008, 11:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic View Post
This is very good.
Yep, after your tales of temperature, I was a little worried. I have to tell you though, I suspect an air bubble is the culprit in more situations that airflow or water volume or radiator size. I had originally bled the air with the car just sitting. After I hit a few things, I was losing coolant rapidly so I was adding on the fly and BLEEDING on the fly, engine running. Bubbles were all over the system. Once I just let it sit there for a bit then bled it, no troubles at all. I couldn't keep the temps right before I bled it properly, it was always running a little hot, but not too hot, once the bubble were gone, perfection!

I just hope the new one will be able to cope with 300hp...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old August 9th 2008, 22:57

Gotta stop hittin things!
Old June 2nd 2009, 20:33

OK, long time no update!!!

Well, the new radiator is TOTALLY out of harms way, so I'm assured of no further issues there. I would seriously wreck the under belly of the nose and the frame head before the radiator would be affected.

Cooling was a little bit of an issue, as the new rad is not in airflow at all. I needed to cut one of the rad hoses a little more than I did so it made an odd angle and a high spot in the system that allowed air to be trapped there, but by manually milking the air to the bleed spot I think I got most of it out.

Still needed some airflow though, so before Bugorama(the night before in fact) I made an ABS scoop by heating and forming. It's quite lightweight and doesn't even do a particularily good job of forcing air through the rad, but it works SOOO well!!! The fans wouldn't come on at all unless I sat idleing for quite awhile. I will probably build another lightweight one like this that is the standard scoop making it completely sealed to force air ONLY through the rad, while the one I'm working on with the M3 lip would be more track only as it's lower and a higher risk of being ripped off because it's much more stiff.

The track runs at Bugorama went fine. The best time as shot by Humble(Will) was 13.5, but the biggest problem I was having was the shifter not being smooth due to issues with the Porsche shifter not really having a good gate setup. I'll work on that. The other problem was my little stock 1.8t intercooler sitting behind my seat. It gets no air flow, so by the end of the track it was totally heat soaked.

On Monday coming up I have an appointment at 034 Motorsport to have the intercooler plumbing squared away. I already have the intercooler and I'll fab up the mounts this weekend. Once that's squared away I can start working on the quarter window scoop that will deliver air to the intercooler plenum, then out the stock rear window ducts.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old June 3rd 2009, 01:48

Can't wait to see pics! 034 does outstanding work So i'm curious to see what they do for you
Old June 3rd 2009, 02:29

That's sound and looks like tons of fun. 1.8T's are great little engines. Curious to see the new intercooler setup.

Pete
Old June 4th 2009, 12:04

Volkdent,

Nice to see that this project is still alive and that you are making such good progress. Time flies by(since your last post) doesnt it eh? Plus, I didnt know that GErmanLook is online again(because obviosly I still had Germanlook.com in my bookmarks )
Old June 9th 2009, 00:19

Light Wallet

The day was spent at 034 Motorsport. Mike did a bang up job getting the plumbing done for the turbo. I got the intercooler mounted where I think it will work out really well. You can see I cut out the space behind the IC where the hot air will exit through the stock grill. Cutting those out also gives me access to that compartment to get the LEDs installed for my 3rd brake light. There is more lag now as the path is longer and the volume larger, but the power just keeps coming. On one end the alumunim is hot, and on the outlet side it's totally cold! When the GT28RS is installed, it will be a necessity, so I might as well get used to a little more lag now.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old June 9th 2009, 06:49

Hi Jason,

A very impressive installation!

One query - Will the intercooler actually vent through the rear grilles under the rear window? I thought this was a high pressure area that under normal circumstances is the cold air inlet for the carb(s). I assume that you will be taking the cold air feed to the intercooler from the side windows? If that is so the air pressure/air flow is not too good and may not overcome the high pressure under the rear window.

Clive
Old June 9th 2009, 12:12

I do hope you plan to beat on this thing for a while before any major renovations ... I wanna hear about some street exploits .

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child