GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 1st 2011, 15:44

Well I havent posted here in awhile but I have a big project.

Type 4 POWER!

Currently the powertrain is a stock 1600dp with pointless ignition and an svda. Im really looking forward to having some extra power driving the rear wheels, and perhaps a higher geared trasmission for better highway cruising since I have a smaller diameter tire on my car.

I have been searching for a 1.8 liter 914 engine on craigslist for a couple years and last week I finally found what I wanted. A pretty clean longblock and duel solex carburetors. the engine came with everything, all cooling tin was intact.

After the engine was torn down to the longblock

At this point the engine was completely dissasembled.

I did find some funky stuff in the sump plate, seems like it was never cleaned out. What looks to be a rock of some sort, some wood or bark, and some type of plant seed or bug or something. Donno

I only had one concern about the engine while I was tearing it down. The engine didnt come with the flywheel (ok since I wont be able to use it anyway) and when I got it home I realized there was about a 1/4 " of play in the crankshaft, I could literally grab it and move in back and forth in the case. Im sure that this is not good but i didnt notice anything considerably wrong when I opened up the case. Bearing wear and thats about it. Have any ideas what it could have been?

Here are some internal picks including the heads (large valves!), main bearings that I can see, camshaft lobe wear.

Looks like something got loose in this cylinder at some point in the engines life. I believe it was from a previous rebuild as I didnt see any marring or damage in the corresponding piston.

Definetly has some funky camshaft lobe wear as well as what looks to be some indentation in the lifters.

Different wear

And finally some main bearing wear, they look pretty crappy if you ask me.

let me know if you guys can give me any hints as to what kind of life this engine has lived, I plan to build a 2056 with rat cooling so almost all parts will be replaced including crank, rods, p/c, valvetrain. I am planning on getting the heads rebuilt with 46/34 valves, I will be sticking them in the oven soon to check for cracks.