GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old October 9th 2008, 15:00

air suspension

I have a sneaking suspicion on what the answers are going to be but here I go anyway ,

I am looking at different prospects for my next GLer. One car I came across is "bagged." I have written for details on the car itself. I have also done the world wide search on the questions I am about to ask but all I see are manufacturers and owners singing the praises and YouTube girations. So,

How do cars (air-cooled VeeDubs in particular) actually ride and handle with these set-ups?

I was thinking back when I still had my '71 Super with the Kamei spoiler on the front and thought maybe this would be an interesting solution when dealing with speed bumps and the like rather than approaching at angles.

On the other hand, my Super handled fantastically the other 99% of the time and I wouldn't want something that would have detracted it from its performance.

While I am asking,

Do these set-ups have any longevity to them or are they a constant source of breaking down?

During my search patterns, I came across some problems that repeated themselves. I am curious if this is the result of poor workmanship, poor preventive maintenance, or a necessary evil one must accept if they are going to have their car bagged.

I am not interested in slamming a Dub just for the sake of slamming it ... just so you know where I am coming from.
Old October 10th 2008, 00:30

I've been looking at the same thing after running across..

http://www.praxissystems.com/

http://www.airkewld.com/pages/welcome.php

http://www.ridetech.com/

It seems that you CAN have a performance oriented air ride suspension setup. I think it warrants more research. Do some reading and you will see that there are quite a few good handling street machines that are running air bag suspensions.
Old October 10th 2008, 10:03

Thanks. Many I found were like Praxis -- vehicle-specific without a VW-specific application. I saw Ridetech earlier in my search and felt encouraged that they weren't slamming for just the sake of slamming and they seemed okay with custom work as they did not have a VW-specific application either.

Airkewled was the only one I found that was Beetle/Super Beetle specific, but I have no experience with them. My guess is the car I am inquiring about has this system by default. I have not heard back from the seller yet and I won't take a two-state journey on a wild goose chase.

Nevertheless, I am learning stuff from a dark side that is new to me. Scary...