GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old May 19th 2005, 23:13

You would think with the production of that shroud, R&D would have been done and they would have realized unequal cylinder cooling and adapt the vanes accordingly. Especially when adapting it to Beetle engines....

Just my noobie 2 cents, but wouldn't a + shaped vane placed closer to the fan blades, of course, sized to where the sizes of the "sqaures" are proportional to where the airflow comes be the optimal wy to divert cooling? Vanes closer to the blades prevents any turbulent "void" for the air to be in....couldn't that atleast help the cooling characteristics?

I remember in high school physics class I had a project of explaning why a ceiling fan, doesn't output the same amount of air in all 360 degrees when it's drawing the same amount of air in all directions. It output more air in certain areas. I can't remember why, but couldn't you just produce the vanes according to that fans' optimal air output areas?

I have no idea if that sounds jumbled...I'm on a Starbucks caffiene buzz....work sucks.
Old May 20th 2005, 09:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBTAIL
.Also the T4 heads seem to poorly manage the heat once you get in the 200bhp range the underside of the head seems to hold the heat in and distort the sealing surface.
My 2 cent fwiw

Paul
I just reread this and I think you have a point: Why else would Klaus make an eleborate 'under-side-cooling' ducting for his cooling shroud system and why would Remmele adapt the existing Lackstätter design (basicly the engine plus heads) by adding huge amounts of fins underneath the heads?

FWIW, I never understood the 5th-stud design where they only make an extra head stud at the top of the head stud pattern instead of underneath...
especially, as the bottom row of studs are not only longer, but also have an extra 4mm of stud spacing! Obviously, if there is a problem, it lies at the bottom of the heads...Because of the aformentioned 2 issues, the exhaust ports being at the bottom may not even matter that much (hence the Remmele design where the exhaust ports are at the sides and he still gave it extra fins at the bottom).

Paul , you get your 2 cents returned

Last edited by Wally; May 20th 2005 at 09:30.
Old May 21st 2005, 00:49

I think even Porsche got headaches thinking about it. They just went water cooled and don't worry about cooling anymore. Uh, Oh. Sorry could not help it...

Randy
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old May 21st 2005, 03:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Massive Type IV
The fan was designed for the engine and the engine designed to work with the fan as a unit...

I think Russ's 911 shroud works fine for what he does because the engine is more closely related to the 911 than a TIV or any other radial fan equipped engine. I would like to get some data from all 4 cylinders of russ' engine to see how they compare to what I have seen with the TIV head based engines and even what I have seen with my billet heads and the DTM. It might help shed some light on why some things occur.
Worth noting that Russ has used the same cooling setup from 100 hp all the way to 400+ and always using the stock undercyl shrouds
In 10 years of racing i think he still is using the same crank and rods (we keep telling him to push the boat out and treat himself to some new stuff!!)
Its true he's had less sealing issues now he's got 911 heads on but it could be for more than 1 reason i.e better sealing technique, better air managment of 911 heads etc
Old May 21st 2005, 07:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperRSi
I think even Porsche got headaches thinking about it. They just went water cooled and don't worry about cooling anymore. Uh, Oh. Sorry could not help it...

Randy
Haha, no, afaik, they couldn't comply with the stricter sound (noise) levels when they kept using aircooling
Old May 21st 2005, 11:08

^^^ Yeah, my buddies 89 Carrera 4 runs at MOST 180 just sitting there idling on a hot summer traffic jam day in Florida according to his gauge. That's pretty cool compared to alot of water boxed engines. Just my little blurb of useless info