GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Interior

Old November 28th 2011, 15:00

911 gauges in a VW

I have seen 914 and 911 gauges used in a variety of Type 1 vehicles. Do 914 gauges need special senders or anything else to make them work? Same question, but for 911 gauges as well.
Old November 29th 2011, 20:38

I don't think you will need any special senders for any porsche gauges.
They come with VDO senders OEM and will work with universal VDO senders, and as long as the necesary senders are already on the bug, the Porsche gauges will work with them. For example my 911 gauges work with the original fuel tank sender very well.
For other gauges, like oil temp/oil pressure, you will have to buy the VDO senders. !!Be careful to get them in the same measuring range as the gauge (for example there are 0-5bar and 0-10bar oil pres. gauges). Otherwise they will show wrong data.
There's a different situation with the tachos: If it's from a 914, 924 or 944 then great! On the other side, if it's from a 914-6 or a 911, then it's calibrated for a 6cylinder engine, and it will show a reading of 2/3 of the real RPM. There are ways of re-calibrating them but it's costly. I for one am still searching for an alternative method which will not envolve opening up the gauge and breaking it's original seal.
Oh, for the speedometers, you wanna buy a mechanical unit. They are fully compatible with the beetle speedo cable. The electronic ones are driven by a sensor inside the gearbox, and as long as you don't install that too, you won't have the speedo signal. There are some adapters available, but as far as I know they don't work as they should off the shelf, and need some tampering with.

On that note, but a bit offtopic, if there's anyone with good knowledge in electronics please hear me up:
I'd like to make a little piggy-back unit, to place on the signal cable in between the coil and rpm meter. It would get the rpm signal from the coil negative side (or the Megajolt tach-out pin in my case) and increase the frequency by X1.5 fooling the tacho into believing it's a 6 cylinder engine.
I'm pretty sure it's an extremely simple thing to design and probably costs less than 10 dollars in parts, but I can't seem to get any of my buddies that know electronics to sit with me and think this over.

Last edited by Xellex; November 29th 2011 at 21:00.
Old November 29th 2011, 22:15
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellex View Post
On that note, but a bit offtopic, if there's anyone with good knowledge in electronics please hear me up:
I'd like to make a little piggy-back unit, to place on the signal cable in between the coil and rpm meter. It would get the rpm signal from the coil negative side (or the Megajolt tach-out pin in my case) and increase the frequency by X1.5 fooling the tacho into believing it's a 6 cylinder engine.
I'm pretty sure it's an extremely simple thing to design and probably costs less than 10 dollars in parts, but I can't seem to get any of my buddies that know electronics to sit with me and think this over.
$85 will solve your problem without having to learn any electronics.

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.c...rod/prd127.htm

...or find someone who knows electronics.

-Dave
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old November 30th 2011, 19:46

Wow, that looks awesome. I think it's gonna do the job! Thanks alot Dave!!!
Old December 4th 2011, 23:52

I had issues with my my 914 tank gauge , the stock sender did not work, i made a custom sender but is not very accurate, it shows 1/4 gas when the tank is empty
for the 911 oil pressure - oil temp i use the vdo two pole sender for 150 psi for pressure and a 300 F oil temp sender , those works well

the 914 Speedometer is great, very accurate , a little expensive to have it in KM/H , i had to buy it from Ebay Germany , but was worth every penny .
Old December 6th 2011, 13:43
Administrator

My 914 fuel gauge also shows 1/4 tank when the tank is empty (with 1302 sender).
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old December 30th 2011, 02:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O View Post
My 914 fuel gauge also shows 1/4 tank when the tank is empty (with 1302 sender).
did you try moving the fuel sender arm up , so it would show empty when empty and full when full ?, i tried that , but with no luck
Old December 31st 2011, 11:25
Administrator

I think it that the range of the 1302 sender is not a perfect match. I just have to remember to stop for fuel before I hit 1/4 tank.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe