GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old January 26th 2004, 01:27

I'm not familiar with the Uni-techs, but I know some refurb stock rods are a proven formula, they work well...

A set of after market rods that are said to be great quality, SCAT I and H beam series rods.

The I-beams can be had for I thik its $150, over at aircooled.net, the H-beam are more expensive...can remember the price.

Just throwing Ideas at ya....I'm sure you are certain on the 1914 combo you spoke of before, and one that would be reliable, and still a bit fun....

keep your compression rate on the light end, i wouldnt go higher than 8.5:1. And you would want to run high octane gas of course. Thats not saying you CANT go over 8.5:1, but the higher you go, the hotter your heads get, the more revs you turn, and over all more wear you put on the entire engine. but in time it wont last long....that compared to a lower CR.

Bigger valves will help greatly, the 40X35.5s would be a great choice, and with a dremel tool, you could lightly de-purr the ports (and match them to your manifolds), and give it a mild polish too...and save yourself hundreds. I havent flycut heads before, so I cant say much their, but there are shops around that could give you a 3-angle valve job, flycut (this gets you to the desired CR), and bored out for 94s, for less than $200-300....but those prices are just what I'm GUESSING that would all cost!!

Jezz, I'm rambling on and on....

Hope this helps!

ever need more help, e-mail me!
eurolook71@hotmail.com
Old January 28th 2004, 02:35

I have been thinking a little and looking around. like you guys said, doing a 76mm crank would be better for torq.. and i want torq for sure!

If i was to get a 76mm crank (same price as the 69mm) what other things will i need to modify to allow a different stroke? im talking ANY clearancing. will i need to change the specs of the rods, pistons/cylinders?
What would a 76mm stroke, and a 90.5mm p/c set be for displament? as sounds like a good combo for torq, HP and a longer cooler life?

Thanks
Jonathan
Old January 28th 2004, 03:19
Administrator

I have a budget beater T1 engine going together right now. Most of the parts are used but not very much. I got a set of old school Cima 94 p/c's, oil pump, solid shaft rockers push rod tubes and 6 cut push rods(clue #1), 2 Scat cams and a good AH case (stock) from a friend for $200 all where very lightly used. Also scored a pair of lightly used S/E heads (big valves) for $275 and a full 45 Dellorto set-up(dual) with rebuild kits at a swap meet for $200, 1 3/4 merged S&S with a ceramic coated MangaFlow fat boy $200, Mallory dist. for $30, traded for a new Kennedy press plate and disc, etc, etc. I have bought a new cam and lifters(Web Cam) and will have about $1000 in a 2275. I have just taken my time and collected stuff as I find it.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old January 28th 2004, 09:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O
I have a budget beater T1 engine going together right now. Most of the parts are used but not very much. I got a set of old school Cima 94 p/c's, oil pump, solid shaft rockers push rod tubes and 6 cut push rods(clue #1), 2 Scat cams and a good AH case (stock) from a friend for $200 all where very lightly used. Also scored a pair of lightly used S/E heads (big valves) for $275 and a full 45 Dellorto set-up(dual) with rebuild kits at a swap meet for $200, 1 3/4 merged S&S with a ceramic coated MangaFlow fat boy $200, Mallory dist. for $30, traded for a new Kennedy press plate and disc, etc, etc. I have bought a new cam and lifters(Web Cam) and will have about $1000 in a 2275. I have just taken my time and collected stuff as I find it.
you da' man Dave

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old January 28th 2004, 15:49

Do delloroto 40mm DRLA carbs bolt right up to Wber IDF maifolds, and use the same hex linkage?

That set of dells on ebay for under 200 sounds like my ticket if i can use weber maifolds and linkage.

Later
Jonathan
Old January 28th 2004, 16:01

as far as i know they do. and that guy is also offering those carbs pre jetted for you. man i'd swap my spare shot block for a pair of those.
Old January 29th 2004, 00:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by super vw
Do delloroto 40mm DRLA carbs bolt right up to Wber IDF maifolds, and use the same hex linkage?

That set of dells on ebay for under 200 sounds like my ticket if i can use weber maifolds and linkage.

Later
Jonathan
Dude is that ebay guy the alfa71 or whatever? if so Make the buy now! He kicks ***. I got carbs from him. Thyere the cool euro models with the cable pull enrichment circuits. I bought a weber linkage kit from ebay for $100 and it was basically everything but the carbs. I used a weber 40mm kit for my dellorto 36mms. it works perfect. no problems with dell compatibility whatsoever.
Old January 29th 2004, 00:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by craazy Cooter
Dude is that ebay guy the alfa71 or whatever? if so Make the buy now! He kicks ***. I got carbs from him. Thyere the cool euro models with the cable pull enrichment circuits. I bought a weber linkage kit from ebay for $100 and it was basically everything but the carbs. I used a weber 40mm kit for my dellorto 36mms. it works perfect. no problems with dell compatibility whatsoever.
YES! SO... so are his carbs clean?
Old January 29th 2004, 01:04

Yup! no corrosion or anything . they run so smooth with such good response its amazing. Get two gasket kits too. he sells them also. he's like the dellorto god of europe or something. I even used the gaskets that came with em. they looked like 10,000 mile carbs.
Old January 29th 2004, 01:19

Quote:
Yup! no corrosion or anything . they run so smooth with such good response its amazing. Get two gasket kits too. he sells them also. he's like the dellorto god of europe or something. I even used the gaskets that came with em. they looked like 10,000 mile carbs.

Does he always have carbs for sale. I'm not ready for carburetors yet.
But I don't want to miss a good thing.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old January 29th 2004, 02:16

Yeah theyre always on there but 40's are on and off. what displacement will your engine be?
Old January 29th 2004, 02:50

Quote:
Yeah theyre always on there but 40's are on and off. what displacement will your engine be?
Right now its looking like a 1641 since I have most of the parts already. But I think I want to build a 1915 or 2007 EFI turbo. When I'm done running them as carbs I want to turn them into throttle bodies.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old January 30th 2004, 00:47

Not sure if this is right or what, but I was looking at the newest issue of HotVWs, and found the 69 forged crank for $189. Right under it was a 78 crank for the same price....I THINK that what is on the CB Performance web site is a TYPE-O!! Its actually a 78 that is selling from the same price (NOT a 76), which is great too, but requires more than radiused con rods to make fit.

Maybe I'll call CBP, to get the real skinny.
Old January 30th 2004, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurolook71
Not sure if this is right or what, but I was looking at the newest issue of HotVWs, and found the 69 forged crank for $189. Right under it was a 78 crank for the same price....I THINK that what is on the CB Performance web site is a TYPE-O!! Its actually a 78 that is selling from the same price (NOT a 76), which is great too, but requires more than radiused con rods to make fit.

Maybe I'll call CBP, to get the real skinny.
Hmmm.

Well, i think im fairly set on a 69mm this time around. Next engine (after i have experience building) i might consider building a stroker, or a type-4
Old January 30th 2004, 19:05

Well i got the Dellorto DRLA 40mm's for $169+ 34 shipping...And manifolds, linkage and all the hardware NEW for $75 shipped!
So i have a grand total of $278 bucks for the whole setup without filters!

I think i got myself a good deal Eh?

Later
Jonathan