GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old October 22nd 2006, 15:10
vwdevotee

What do you think?

I am planning my first GL project (I'm hoping to start it in a little over a year), and was hoping for some input on my plans. I want to start with a '75 super and go from there, but if I can't find one within a reasonable distance, I might end up going with a pre'75 and just converting it to rack and pinion. Any thoughts are appreciated.

9" x 19" Fiske 5S Front Wheels
12" x 19" Fiske 5S Rear Wheels

235/35ZR19 Continental ContiSportContact 2 Vmax Front Tires
315/25ZR19 Continental ContiSportContact 2 Vmax Rear Tires

Brembo 380mm front brake kit with 8-piston calipers
Brembo 355mm rear brake kit with 4-piston calipers

Bilstein coilover shocks
Narrowed rear trailing arms

Sparco Corsa Racing Seats
6 Point Racing Harnesses
14 point chrome-moly rollcage
Aircraft grade fasteners

G50/54 6-speed transmission
9ff built twin turbo 996 engine
993 Litronic headlamps
Old October 22nd 2006, 16:33

So do you figure it will cost about $50,000 without labor?
I think you will be restructuring the entire rear of the car for the engine transmission you spec. Probably should just go tube frame and while you're at it make it midengine. You should look at Hugo's V8 Audi car for ideas.

Thanks,
Randy
Meyers Manx Signature #85 , 79 Convert
Old October 25th 2006, 04:50

Can you post some pics... thanks
Old October 25th 2006, 09:13

it could work...
my major concern would be on the suspension though. toooooo big wheels and to low profile tyres. it isn't the best combo imo cause it will probably reduce suspension travel a lot, and give you a very harsh ride. i would try to get tyres with less difference in width ( personaly im planning on running 225/40 18 and 285/40 18 and then going for 265/40 at the back as max). I dont believe that there is any point of getting widened fenders first and trying to fit everything under. Im going the opposite way, leaving the fenders last. As stated you will need major bracing at the back and it would be wise to try and tie the back into the rollcage if not going for a tube chassis.
Also you need very precise calcs for wheel offsets, and keep in mind the increase in turning circle, due to wider tracks.
Cost... If you have the money, sky is the limit. the only thing is if you believe that its worth it.
The problem is that you could spend enormous amounts of money and still don't get there. The drawback is that the beetle is an old design, revolutionary at its time, but lacking many features of modern chassis technologies. Also remeber that even if you find a low mileage car, it will be at least 30 years old, and its not the same with a new chassis... Fatigue evelves through time and considering your req's for the project, the car will deteriorate quickly. Dont get me wrong. the only car I have is a 1973 1303 and wont change it for anything...

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL
Old October 26th 2006, 04:02

So about 500bhp+ through a fairly stock chassis?

What do you want to do about fitting the engine within the body, you will have a big bulge to fit that in the back of a bug.

As said above, I would serously consider a new mid-engined chassis, sounds like you have money to burn anyway so I wouldn't be constrained by any existing chassis!

Rich
Old October 27th 2006, 17:44

not much more to say than "ditto". that is a lot of unsprung weight and a large package to fit in a small area. better off to start ground up with the right chassis (tube) to support those specs.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old October 29th 2006, 22:44

Buy a new Porsche.

http://www.Type1R.com
Old November 1st 2006, 01:04

You may be suprised what 200HP will do in a well preped beetle. big and more is not always better.

We have a customers at our shop that has a 700HP Porsche 911 twin turbo (on a sc and late 80's carrera chassis w/993 bodywork)... thats wicked fast, im talking **** your pants fast. but the thing is that the whole package dosent work. even with the 19" wheels with 335/35 R19 tires and uprated suspention the chassis is STREEESSED OUT... and no fun to drive other than in a straight line, it dosent even make it a good track car unless you can go 180-200mph a lot of the time.

If you want to do mundo HP with big wheels...ect you need the whole package to work together, the suspention needs to suport the wheels and brakes, and all that needs a strong chassis to back it up

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old November 1st 2006, 16:07

just to add a bit on super vw's post...

springs and dampers must be calculated to the frequencies of the wheel movement (this would be suspension travel), the pick up points must be able to handle the increased loads on the suspension due to the bigger wheels, and then the chassis must be stiff enough, with good torsional rigidity, and bending stiffness. then the tricky part will be to setup the suspension geometry/ damping rates and spring stiffness ( equal f/r?, increasing and if to what rate?) so that the car's handling will be predictable...

This applies to every car being designed from scratch, and the limitations when redesigning a car to work with very different components ( ie wheels) are many. Also a bigger motor produces more loads (static on a chassis) and even more dynamic loads due to the highier torque output ( at least use uprated engine mounts)

Chris

1973 1303 going towards GL