GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 19th 2002, 14:19

TypeI upright cooled TypeIV help.

Now that I've got the phernomonal braking and handling, I want to be able to come out of a bend, as fast as I go in!

I have 2 TypeIV motors, a 'CJ' and an 'AN'. The CJ is from a 2.0 camper, and the AN is in boxes, fully stripped. It was bought with an unfinished kit car and is supposedly one those blueprinted 2 litre . This engine was never even fired up, stood for years and the camgear had turned into 3" thick mass of Al. Oxide. The case has cleaned up mint. The heads are like new, still bead-blast finish in the cumbustion chambers.

I've got the heads off the CJ, took the valves out and the guides are shot. The clean heads that came with the AN engine have different exhaust ports, I think they are 1.8. I have good heat exchangers for these heads, so I know they're NOT 914.

Which parts would make the best engine? Will the heads be OK on the otherwise stock 2.0l? A mate has healthy collection of unhealthy TypeIV engines and is keen to help.

He has donated a centre mount twin-choke Webber manifold which I intend to mount a K-jet throttle body. Another thought was to use the stock Solex's as throttle bodies for the K-jet system.

I want to keep my '79 Bug fuel injected, and will go for the K-jet system off a MkI Golf GTI I can have for nothing.

I eventually want the full-on 2.4++ Porsche fan, EFI motor but for now the stock bits I've got WILL have to do.

I intend to adapt T1 cooling/charging and make up an exhaust before the engine gets fully over-hauled. Where can I find the infomation I need? (Other than on here ) I'm aware of a US manual that gives all the help and comes with diagrams and such.

This is my winter project, but I can't sleep until I know what I'm going to do.

Any thoughts/help would be muchly appreciated,

Matt \X/
Old August 21st 2002, 04:10
VW consumer products reseller and researcher

Post ....

Use the 1.8l heads, a bit p&p and seat machining will help to get the most out of the otherwise stock engine. Another tip is, that you machine the piston tops 2mm down, so the piston chamber get smaller. Same has to be done to the cylinder sealing surface, but check your top-clearance before.
You can't use the 40's as butterflys for the K-Jet, as the K uses it's own system, the big air washer under the air filter is highly important as is the dual throttle/butterfly to get the correct torque/rpm's your engine needs. Okok, there are ways for all, but I wouldn't do that for sure. Use the injection manifold of 1,8l busses and redesign the jet mounts for the k-jet jets. Build the butterfly part from the rabbit to a homebuilt flange, that you weld on the center part of your injection manifold and go from there to the original air filter box.

Just my 2 cents!