GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old March 22nd 2005, 19:25

flared fenders

Why is it only the german suppliers have those amazing looking widened flared fenders. I contacted Glass Action and CCC and they have no intention on making such fenders, no demand, although they said they do have those ugly flared fenders from the 70's. What gives? Anyone know of a North American supplier of such fenders?
Old March 22nd 2005, 19:29

nope....and you probably wont.
those fenders are popular in Europe because of the Kafer Cup cars.
you will just have to order them from Germany...

I am sure you will be happy with ordering them from Germany, as things
in Germany have to be made to TUV standards. The quality should be
very good....

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old May 9th 2005, 12:19

order them from www.kerscher-tuning.de

These are the best!

gr ron
Old May 9th 2005, 16:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollandbugpower
order them from www.kerscher-tuning.de

These are the best!

gr ron
Is totally CORRECT!!
Old May 10th 2005, 07:31

I ordered 4 flared carbon fiber fenders from CSP in Germany 2 months ago (would take 4-6 weeks to make them they said) and haven't heard anything from them since
Old May 10th 2005, 13:52

Common someone must be intrested in manufacturing these in North America. Just look at these long wait times and the ever so rising Euro Dollar.
Old May 23rd 2005, 00:02

www.kerscher-tuning.de

the ONLY perfect ones

gr ron
Old May 23rd 2005, 12:44

markvfiberglass.com has some widened fenders
Old May 24th 2005, 17:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeetle73
Common someone must be intrested in manufacturing these in North America. Just look at these long wait times and the ever so rising Euro Dollar.
sounds like you have a business opportunity. :agree:

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old June 7th 2005, 09:31

Speaking flared fenders - any old timers on here recall what I believe was a Hot VW's article (but might have been VW Greats?) titled: Down Under Ground Shaker? (Or ground pounder?)
It featured a Porsche Red Beetle, neat flared fenders with a nicely rolled-down lip, like a 930 style flare, whaletail (but subtle, not the huge tails like CCC sell), molded front bumber cover with integral air dam and top lip that extended back to near the body, full house 2180. Neat looking and tastefully done car, a precursor to the German Look and built by an Austrailian outfit that specialized in high-end VW conversions and tuning at the time. This has to go back to around the early 1970's? Best looking flared fenders I've seen, before or since.
Anyone remember this car or have the magazine it was featured in? If I recall correctly it was also shown on the cover in a small pic?
Jeff
Old June 8th 2005, 10:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS guy
Speaking flared fenders - any old timers on here recall what I believe was a Hot VW's article (but might have been VW Greats?) titled: Down Under Ground Shaker? (Or ground pounder?)
It featured a Porsche Red Beetle, neat flared fenders with a nicely rolled-down lip, like a 930 style flare, whaletail (but subtle, not the huge tails like CCC sell), molded front bumber cover with integral air dam and top lip that extended back to near the body, full house 2180. Neat looking and tastefully done car, a precursor to the German Look and built by an Austrailian outfit that specialized in high-end VW conversions and tuning at the time. This has to go back to around the early 1970's? Best looking flared fenders I've seen, before or since.
Anyone remember this car or have the magazine it was featured in? If I recall correctly it was also shown on the cover in a small pic?
Jeff
Hi

Used to work at the place that built those cars, in fact my 1302 had the same body kit for many years until I updated to the Aerolook which was developed by fellow forum user Big Als dad. The red Beetle from the article still exists and comes out everynow and again.

Steve

Old June 8th 2005, 12:42

THAT'S IT STEVE!!! :righton:

Dang, I was just hoping to find someone who still had the old magazine - never even considered someone would be around who actually worked on the cars themselves!

Man, that's cool. I still love that look! Have any more pics with the flared fenders? How about any others with a similar kit? A little hard to see the nicely contoured flare with the yellow paint, it sort of blends out the shape of the flare. Very nice looking though!
Is the company still in business that built those - or another with the original tooling? IMO - still the BEST looking 930 take-off look for a Beetle ever made.

Maybe a longshot, think the owner of the original red car would provide a pictoral and text update? I'm imagining the car has undergone some updates in the drivetrain dept since then - which BTW had what I think was the original "hideaway" style exhaust system.

Seeing your can and remembering the red one one - makes me want to build another Bug!
Thanks for the memories!!!
Cheers, Jeff

PS - check out that front spoiler/bumper combination. Again - IMO still the best looking and most thoroughly designed air dam for the Beetle front end.
Old June 8th 2005, 18:33

Hi Jeff

I still have the Hot VWs article, I will scan it and post the photos. It was around 1978 I think. The kit has fallen out of favour down here, I believe that he still makes them. The car stilol carries the sames driveline etc from the article.

Steve

Some more of my "look" Sorry about highjaking the post.

Old June 8th 2005, 22:20

I really like that bug! This is awesome to see the connection here.
Old June 9th 2005, 02:24

nice!!

back to flared fenders. Has anyone pondered making their own? It'll be a little tedious, but i think i am going to flare one side of the car, and make a pattern at 90deg, 75deg, and 105deg with a center-point at the wheel hub to match up the flares on each side. anyone have and metal shaping skills?