GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 25th 2010, 19:56

Koni Sport Yellows for 1303 (On Koni Europe Site)

Was at Borders the other day, and I noticed in one of the mags that Koni europe had a sport yellow application for the 1303.

Was curious if anyone else was familiar with these struts and if they have used them.

Pic from the Koni site with part numbers:

1303 / Super Beetle (USA) Sport Yellows
Front: 86-1980Sport
Rear: 80-2149Sport

When I searched on the web the part number it came up as a 924 strut.. I am familiar with a short version, but was unsure if the threaded section was similiar and usuable with the VW topmount..

http://www.dcdezign.com/cheap/315759...1980sport.html

I also checked the usa site and they had the part as a 1303 part.
http://www.koni-na.com/pdfcatalogs/2008_Full.pdf

Has anyone use these, as they are single adjustable.. assume rebound and with a little dremel action, I can put some collars and coilover springs and run these instead of the maxx struts I have.. I would assume these would be lighter and I would not have to worry about machining rabbit inserts for the beetle..

I called about a pair of yellow I had from a 944, and I will assume like those are NOT rebuildable.. but when I have time will call and double check..

VR
ALex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old April 26th 2010, 05:54

Alex, I have fitted 924S 2 bolt front struts (identical to 944) to our 1303 with 1303 Spax inserts and 924S 4 bolt top mounts. I used the 4 bolt top mounts in preference to the 3 bolt 1303 mounts because they appeared to offer a better bearing and stiffer rubber as you would expect from a strut needing to cope with a heavier weight. TBH I cannot see what the fuss is about relating to the substitution of 924S/944 struts as my experience shows the 924S/944 ones to be dimensionally the same although of undoubted better quality.

In using 924S/944 struts all I would say is you have to use the appropriate springs and dampers as the 924S/944 ones are obviously for a much heavier front engined car.

Clive
Old April 26th 2010, 09:29

Clive,

Thanks for the heads up.. I has thinking on my way to work, to look at the physical dimensions of the 944 top mount as I have a set of complete struts laying around..

As far as your first sentence, was trying to avoid the whole insert approach, if possible, hence why I like am liking the 1303 Koni struts.. They only thing I need to check is if they are rebuildable.. otherwise, I hear you, and I was thinking the same as far as using a 944 2 bolt strut casing with some koni 944 inserts. I figure I can call Koni and for some additional $$ get them set up with the same specs as the 1303 that they offer. While I do have the topline set up, all ready to go, I think I will hold these for my other car a 78 vert, and I don't like the lack of adjustablity for rebound, and minimal height. As I will be corner balancing car, and the topline doesn't offered the same type of adjustablity as a strut collar. Plus the weight, is a little high on these..

The other area I need to investigate is the threaded area of these struts, to determine what topmount to use for the 2-2.5 inch springs as well as how they would fit under the 944 hats as is done with the topline struts..

I have some coilover sleeves just sitting around so looking fwd to investigating once I have some free cash..

Can you take some pics of the 944 hats on the car.. do you need to clearance anything from underneath.. If no issues, I may pursue some ground control topmounts, drill the extra holes, and use them on this koni setup.. they have an integrated top hat for 2-2-5 inch springs, and provide camber adjability..

VR
Alex
Old April 27th 2010, 08:00

Hi Alex,
From the catalogue I thing the Koni's are all inserts for the front, whether Classic or Sport. I would be surprised if either reference referred to a coil over strut.
If you have some serviceable 944 struts then putting coilover sleeves on is eminently practical and I can't see why you would bother with whole coilover units. Dimensionaly the 924S/944 struts are the same as the 1303 ones with the exception of the bulge at the top for the insert retaining nut and the generally thinner construction. As I said the whole 1303 kit fitted the 924S struts perfectly without mods.
the 944 top hats were a squeeze and drilling the extra bolt hole was not easy due to large drill casing but the end result works quite well along with the strut brace as you will see.
I kept the standard 110mm dia springs and I rely on the TCA and stub axle camber adjusters (I reckon that that is the best place for them for a whole shed load of reasons).
I will e-mail my photos to you as I am chronic at posting photos - if you wish to post them on my behalf please do.

Clive
Old April 28th 2010, 03:59

for the camber adjustment i cut the inner tca bush of and put a rose joint on. even with the 944 stub axle i could get -4.5* of camber. now i have gone back to the 03 stubs i can get crazy camber.
i run golf mk1 inserts in cut down 944 cases and a coil over conversion. the golf inserts damper settings work well with 130lb springs i run. would like some adjustable inserts for when it comes out again along with some adjustable shocks on the rear.
going to go to a compresion strut for the castor adjustment for next year as well. also means i can get a adjustable front anti roll bar on there as well.
Old April 30th 2010, 12:20

Last time I was in europe i picked up a set of each. Got a good price. Yes they are adjustable. although not top adjustable, must compress the rod and turn clockwise or counterclockwise. I was talking to a Koni rep and he told me that these koni sports part # are still hydraulic shocks not gas. They have a stiffer setup than the equivalent red's. He also stated that they are excellent for lowering since the start rate is equivalent at any height in the shock. Apparently they are rebuildable, also becareful not to bottom them out as this would probably damage the adjusting mechanism.
Old April 30th 2010, 12:23

Sorry forgot to mention, that they are inserts in the front. Actually the same part # is used for the early 944's.
Old May 1st 2010, 18:38

Sbeetle,

Thanks for the heads up.. Clive's assumptions were correct..

@clive.. no issues with inserts... just looking for something different.. Guess I will be going down this route.. with a can of School bus yellow

Thanks everyone
Alex