GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old June 7th 2010, 07:56

Mike, I think both the '86 and '87 have 23.5mm TBs but it won't harm taking the later model ones. Hint: check the diameters and the stamp on the inner end (Links & Rechts) as it is not unknown for the TBs to get swapped out for the wrong one. They will be identical but will have been loaded differently so it is imperative to put them in on the correct side.
I understand your need for the stiff front spring rates and of course your static front weight is higher than originally(?). One thought that occurred to me is that if you are using front 2 1/4" coilovers then it would be worth investigating motorcycle monoshock hydraulic adjusters that appear on touring orientated bikes as they could provide an easy, convenient way of adding preload to get you away from the bumpstops.
As an aside, I was scanning some Porsche racing data on suspensions for their 935/76 race cars (as you do on a boring Sat night!) and came across the spring frequencies of 147CPM front and 137CPM rear - well stiff. I don't think they carried a front ar bar but the rear was variable but typically 22mm with a blade type adjuster that had a variation ratio of 8:1 and was adjustable by the driver to account for the reducing fuel load centred over the front axle. the weight distribution was a dry static 40/60 that increased to 47/53 with driver and full fuel load. Also, the brakes were identical front and rear with twin m/cs of 17mm dia front and 22mm dia rear that gives a front bias 1.67:1 although this could be adjusted through the balance bar arrangement.
I've raised these Porsche figures only because of the similarities in layout and weight distribution to a well sorted bug.

Clive
Old June 7th 2010, 10:51

The springs on the front are 2.5"

For interests sake I weighed my beetle on the weekend at the trucking scale on the highway, with me in it and probably half a tank of fuel. Weight saving was not a huge factor when building it, but from the looks of it maybe it should have been!

front: 420 kg
rear: 650 kg

39.3 % front
60.7% rear
Old June 7th 2010, 11:56

Thats over a tonne! I thought the typical weight of a bug was around 850kgs so I would go back to the trucking scale and ask when they last had it load checked! Seriously, did you check it with two wheels on at a time? If so, did you get a total weight as well? the last time I weighed a vehicle on a weigh bridge the sum total of the axle weights exceeded the total weight. If you use the weigh bridge then only use the front/rear weights to show distribution % and calculate the actual from the total weight.

Clive
Old June 7th 2010, 12:19

haha, I did front and back, and then the total and it added up. I presume they have them calibrated fairly regularily.

And for reference its about 100lbs more than humble's street car, He has a stereo with subwoofer and I have a big radiator out front and subaru and turbo out back (including stock cast iron exhaust manifold) So not surprising? I could have saved weight up front with an alumnium rad and aluminum rad shroud, and an exhaust header out back.

Mike
Old June 16th 2010, 23:21

I noticed that qa1 makes a 2.5" coilover spring with a progressive rate of 100-200lb/inch. This would puts us in a sweet range. The only issue is its a 12" spring. Anyone try progressive rate springs or main/tender combos?
Old June 17th 2010, 09:44

Sbeetle, also be aware that the eyelets are all standard size, not metric..

I just emailed them yesterday and they confirmed no metric sizes..

Maynot be an issue for you.. so just an FYI
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463