GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Wheels

Old November 19th 2009, 03:58

Who's running What??

Hey guys Soo I'm Starting to Shop for tires for my Wheels
and just wanting to know who's got what or tried what?
anything good for the Summer and a few track days??
any good Picks on Makes
BTW I need 225/45R17
235/50R17

thanks

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old November 19th 2009, 06:43

I am hugely impressed with Goodyear F1 GSD3. I've tried others and keep coming back to them for good grip, excellent feel and handling, good wear. I've never used them on the track but have for autotesting and they stood up to all the abuse. If fact I've still got the set should I autotest again.

You may consider a separate set of tyres (on wheels) for the track as unless you have the power say, >200bhp then those tyre sizes will actually slow you on the track. Besides, its disheartening to then drive around on massively scrubbed tyres on the street (unless you're into posing of course - a bit like knee sliders on bike leathers on the street)

Clive
Old November 19th 2009, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
(unless you're into posing of course - a bit like knee sliders on bike leathers on the street)

Clive
that funny right there
Old November 19th 2009, 12:07

Those are some BIG shoes to fill! lol

back when my car was more GL I used to run P195/50R15 Yokohamas. They don't make that particular model now, but it has been superseded by this:
http://www.yokohamatire.com/tires/s.drive.aspx

those tires were STICKY, and they lasted a long time.

Alex
Old November 19th 2009, 14:30

thanks guys I'll Look into those.
anybuddy got anything Different, Alex I was Looking at those tires just last night too Seem like a good tire
and at a Far price, and you Say they are Sticky and wear is good too ?
Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old November 19th 2009, 15:41

I'm running Continental SportContacts on my TDI. Real nice. They grip very well, but they wear quickly. They are pricey, but lots of fun.

Have Kumho 712's on the super. Cheap tire, decent quality. They fought hard at last year's track day to keep the bug on the track with the 1600. Could spin that 235 tire at will with the 2332. Not impressed.

Pete
Old November 19th 2009, 15:44

With tires that big and sticky moved by a 1641cc, they'll last a LONG time

Alex
Old November 19th 2009, 17:18

I've gone through a good number of tires, usually at least 2 sets per car per year. I blame the I-can't-help-but-drive-fast mountain roads. I see mostly sunny weather here, a month or 2 of constant rain in the winter and sometimes up to 4-6 inches of snow, yeah even in California 9 miles from the ocean. So here's what I've burned through:

Yokohama S.drive
pretty grippy in dry and wet, not really affected by cold weather >45F. Great street tire and lasts very long with hard driving, but on the track it leaves you wanting more, a little pricey though, great for street though

Yokohama A032R/A048R
grooved R compound tire for street/track use. sticky like duct tape on duct tape, wears like butter on a hot skillet but you'll never be able to get that stupid grin off your face. Do not expose to cold temps below 40F, tires will harden and lose life, they are like plastic at those temps anyway. great for track and you can drive home on it (I do to scrub rubber off) not so good for the street

Kumho Ecsta MX/XS
more grip than the S.drive and they get stickier when they heat up. pretty long life on the bug so far 10k+ and maybe 50% to go. Good in the wet too but in the cold >40F they just slide. good track/street tire

Hankook RS2/RS3
a lot like the kumhos but they stick more and wear a lot faster. got about 8k miles (stretching it) a set. these tires were fantastic in the wet and reacted like there was no water at all, good track/street tire

Continental Contisport Contact 3
like the hankooks but cost twice as much, however they are not as good in the wet, good track/street tire

BF Goodridge gforce t/a kd
very sticky tire more than the hankook, not so good in the wet, useless in the cold, expensive and asymetrical so you can't rotate staggered wheels at all, but a great track tire that will survive on the street

Bridgestone potensa re050a pole position
expensive, better than the hankook and last as long as the kumho's, good tire and you get what you pay for. not very good in freezing temps good track/street tire

Bridgestone potensa re-11
very sticky tire, great in the wet, great on the track but wears fast like the continentals. not good in the cold

As a general rule I stay away from firestone, fusion, and sumitomo because they don't make any sticky tires.
Old November 19th 2009, 18:14

I had the Eagle F1 GS-D3 on my T-Bird Super Coupe, used them for summer street driving and some open-track days. Nice ride and great grip, killer wet grip too, which I really loved.

Obviously comparing apples & oranges as far as the vehicle type here, but I've ridden with a few students at track days with those tires on various cars, and they've great on everything.

Another one to look at is the Dunlop Direzza Star Spec, they are a max. performance tire, one step below an R-compound really. I have these on my Taurus SHO, which I put together primarily for doing track days with, but didn't want to be switching wheels & tires when I got there. Stiffer ride than the GS-D3, but grip is a level beyond for sure, and wet grip is quite impressive too. The first time I was out in the car this year for the Solo I school, I was basically driving by almost all of the other instructors in the pouring rain ... pretty funny when I had never been out on the track with the car before, and I had no idea where to set the shocks and tires.

cheers
Ed N.
Old November 19th 2009, 21:22

WOW Humble thanks for the Tire Bibel
I guess I have alot to think about...

thanks to pete and Ed.

Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old November 20th 2009, 01:06

I recently had some good success, with AVON Tech R, which as the name implies is a R compound slick racing tire..

I ran them on my DD for a weekend HPDE.. really liked them.. was not able to exploit them as the stock suspension did not really let me push as hard as I would have liked.. But if you do push them past their sticking point they were not as progressive as a street tire.. so you have to pay attention.. But as far as wear they were good, and they heated up pretty quick with the 3 series I was driving..

As you can expect the traction limits are much higher than street tires..
Hope that helps.
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old November 20th 2009, 03:32

From what I've found on the beetle is that you can expect longer life from tires because of it's light weight. Even sticky compounds that would otherwise wear very quickly, the bug is relatively easy on them, assuming you have done a 4 wheel alignment and you're not running crazy camber.
Old November 20th 2009, 08:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevw View Post
I'm running Continental SportContacts on my TDI. Real nice. They grip very well, but they wear quickly. They are pricey, but lots of fun.
Pete
I tried a pair of Conti SportContact 2 as the F1s were not immediately available. I concur with you regarding the wear rate that is not surprising since they don't supply the tyre with enough rubber! They are all groove - you could cycle round the tyre in the size of grooves they supply - that must be reason they are good in the wet. Without being too dogmatic the Goodyear F1 GS-D3 is very predictable and I reckon I have sacrificed ultimate grip for it but perversely it makes me faster because I'm more confident.

I had a set of Pirelli PZero's that gripped extremely well but the car always seemed to sit down in the corner as if taking up the squidgy side wall before it became stable - it didn't provide much confidence.

I want to try some Kuhmo Ecsta V70 motorsport (road legal) radials on the bug.

Clive
Old November 20th 2009, 12:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilC View Post
I want to try some Kuhmo Ecsta V70 motorsport (road legal) radials on the bug.

Clive
Me too!
Quote:
(Humble)
Kumho Ecsta MX/XS
more grip than the S.drive and they get stickier when they heat up. pretty long life on the bug so far 10k+ and maybe 50% to go. Good in the wet too but in the cold >40F they just slide. good track/street tire
Totally agree. I run this tire on the front now. Its a '(ultra) high performance' rated tire, better than most, but its no semi-slick.

What you guys in the us call an 'R-compund' or semi-slick is what works best, period. There are tade-offs in noise and lifespan, but as Humble also says (and I agree again): the bug is usually more gentle on them than most other heavier cars.

So for real grip, you want an R-rates tire or semi-slick as I call them.
You can also look at the ' threadwear' rating on the side of the tire. Its a UTCG rating with 3 different ratings. The other two are for temperature and ...?
Try to shoot for 60-120 for the threadwaer rating. Normal tires have 250-280 or so and even the before mentioned ' ultra high performance' tires have usually no less than 200. Its says how ' soft' the compound is but its relative to that manufactorer. Still, it gives a good reference I think.

I have just bought a slightly used set of Toyo R888's (threadwear 100) for on the rear when the current Bridgestone (or was it Dunlop?) 'SP super sport race' are worn.
Hopefully I can find the Kumho V70's or another set of 888's cheap as well for the front for next season.

Last edited by Wally; November 20th 2009 at 12:10.
Old November 20th 2009, 16:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble View Post
Kumho Ecsta MX/XS
more grip than the S.drive and they get stickier when they heat up. pretty long life on the bug so far 10k+ and maybe 50% to go. Good in the wet too but in the cold >40F they just slide. good track/street tire.
Well after reading and Some thinking I have Order a Set of the Kumho's
thanks for everyones help and when they get put on the Bug I'll let everyone know how they are

thanks again
Chris.
07 Chevy 3500 Dually