GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 7th 2006, 17:41

advice needed on turbocharging type4

hi guys this is my first posting on this forum so a big hello to you all, i would like a little input on my set up please i am building a 2lt type4 engine to put in a 72 bug lowered to hell with flared wheel arches, what im doing with the engine is this. it is stock 2lt with a stock reground crankshaft, stock rods ,a web camshaft on order from la performance,stock dished pistons , 1800 heads with mild porting work on the exhaust,thick copper head gaskets, the turbocharger i have was advertised as a garrett t3 but when it arrived i swear it is a garrett t4 it is a/r.50 compressor housing and 0.70 on the exhaust. the carburettor i have is a renult 5 gordini turbo webber 32 dir twin choke wich renault used as a drawthrough on the 1.4 gordini so i intend to use it on the 2lt type4.so i have all the parts i need once the camshaft arrives and i will put it all together and go beyond the point of no return im trying to keep it simple but at the end of the day once assembled and in the car i would like it to work so any pointers on anything i may have overlooked is much appreciated thanks...
Old April 15th 2006, 13:12

Bugdawg,

It seems as though your turbo is too big. To spin that you would need big carbs, big heads and an 8000+ rpm capability. It would also work well for high boost applications. Further, I think that for a draw through design, the carb is WAY too small. A smaller turbo (T3 turbine) would work fine with this carb if it was a blow through setup.

We use a lot of turbocharging here in Brazil and we don't waste time on draw through.

If I can help you any further, don't hesitate to contact me
Old April 15th 2006, 15:13

off topic possibly, but does anyone know about adapting the CB hideaway piping and so on to a T4?

Last edited by krems; April 16th 2006 at 14:01.
Old April 16th 2006, 09:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by krems
off topic possibly, but does anyone know about adapting the CB hideaway headers and so on to a T4?
It would be as easy as making one from scratch
Old April 16th 2006, 09:43

just courious what gears are you running? and also what 1500 said you would need a much bigger turbo i would personally reccomend above a 600 cfm
4-bbl. i have a 600 cfm on my type 1 and it does great but i dont know much abought turbo on a type 4.i also wanted to ask how many lbs of boost do you plan on running. also what wastegate are you gonna run

thanks bow

Last edited by bow; April 16th 2006 at 10:02.
Old April 17th 2006, 06:37

thanks for the reply guys the wastegate i will be using is internal but it is a bit diffrent to the ones i normally see on garrett t2 & t3 turbos this one shares the same housing as the turbine but has its own outlet so i will need two pipes coming off the back of the turbo main one bolted to the turbine outlet and a smaller pipe above that bolted to the wastegate outlet. so is that internal or external most turbos i have seen with external wastegates have the wastegate far away from the turbo and the turbos with internal wastegates i have seen share the same outlet? the 2bbl progressive carb is a bit small i think but i will use it just to get the engine running and see what leaks oil and what knocks or rattles etc etc. this engine will be mainly road but will also be used at the track and the odd traffic light sprint when i have to make a point i was thinking about holley carbs but what i have read of them so far indicates that they are only good for the track as they deliver great wot power but on the street in every day driving conditions they are not ideal is this true ?
Old April 30th 2006, 17:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonas_linder
It would be as easy as making one from scratch
cool, i get you.

time to come up with my own design then :agree:
Old May 3rd 2006, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugdawg
i was thinking about holley carbs but what i have read of them so far indicates that they are only good for the track as they deliver great wot power but on the street in every day driving conditions they are not ideal is this true ?
mine personaly does alright but kind of does weird on cold days