GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old August 14th 2002, 10:43
Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by trevorbrady

I have received mixed reactions from people about the choice of wheels and their colour, but I don't care. I'm happy with it.
and that's all that matters
Old August 15th 2002, 05:26

Quote:
Originally posted by Superman
One thing I wondered, how does everyone feel about my CCC Porsche 911 Carrera style Whailtail... is that Germanlook? [/B]
Just so long as you don't have ferrari style "vented" fenders, a la Mulholland Look, you'll be alright. As for the different "looks" to these cars, I've gone more in the direction of function over form. T-4 engine, kaefer-kup braces, 80mm front struts (Topline), tuner wheels, etc etc. I'm gonna paint it monochrome Maroon(maybe?), only because I can't afford any sort of graphics or detailing, and I'm sure as hell not going with big vinyl stickers all over the car like the ricers around here do. I don't like calling the German Look "German Look," it's more Porsche performance to me. The "Euro" or "French" looks are straigh tout Tuner performance to me, with the tuner wheels, Hi-Po motors, extravagant paintjobs, and all. If Fast and the Furious were about Bugs, Euro/French-look VWs would be the basis for the movie, not Supras and S2000s... All in all the look of your car is YOUR look. You can try to generalise you VW if you want to, but your individuality will always seep through somehow, thus segregating your car from the norm...

I'm sure all this has been said before, but I had to state my ideas, too, not being one who likes to be left out of the conversation...

DAVID MANN
Old August 16th 2002, 20:31

I would hate to see germanlook have such rigid parameter's as cal look. Don't get me wrong, I love cal look-except for for all the "rules". If we say porsche stuff only, the segment is just going to turn into all the cars looking the same-exactly what gets annoying with cal-look.

I figure my project as german look, and there isn't a porsche part on it. Brakes are off a Dodge stratus and wheels are 17" chrome momo's- body will have all fact. chrome. To me german look is just about making an old car more updated with wheels/tires/trans/
engine/suspension.

just rambling.
Old August 19th 2002, 22:33

Purple Super (1303)

Can any body tell me where I can find pictures/more info on that cool looking Purple Super Beetle (1303) featured on the back inside page of every Volksworld issue in the HIC insurance ad, for the last 7 months? Thanks

Chas
Old August 19th 2002, 22:56

It was covered in the Volksworld mag in April 2001.
I do not have a scanner. Sorry.

Alex
Old August 20th 2002, 21:48

Thanks,
Old August 21st 2002, 04:11

That purple 03 is my favourite German looker....
Old August 22nd 2002, 22:59

"VolksWorld" Summer '02 Definition

Just got my copy of the Summer issue of "Volksworld". A gorgeous looking "Euro Looker" is on the cover and warrants four pages. The car is an 1982. The owner lives in Holland. The articles author states that:
"Both German-Look and Euro-Look cars are externally very similar, but we use the term German Look to describe equally impressive underpinnings. If a car looks the part but doesn't have the big Type 4 motor or Porsche gearbox and brake conversions, we refer to it as a Euro-Looker. SImple, huh?"

Sueme, in his piece in the same issue refers to the GL as "... you know, big Porsche wheels, four wheel discs and a big Type 4 engine ..."

By the way the car has a little Remmele type roofspoiler courtesy of Franky's VW Services.

Jeannot
Old August 29th 2002, 04:17

That was interesting reading...

I do not think that there is a written statement of what a German Look Beetle should look like, if there was all GL Beetles that matched the German Look would look more or less the same.

As far as I am aware, German Look was a term cooked up by Volks World after seeing this type of car at the shows on the continent. Correct me if I am wrong.

All beetles are individual, and I think all the cars that have been mentioned have that "German Look" slant. This is why we are all on this site! The individuality makes our cars interesting, and opens up discussion like this. The only German Look ones that I perhaps question are the pre 1967. But this is my opinion.

Im my opinion the best Geramn Look is a late model ('70s), perferably a '03 with modern big wheels (not 17inch BRMs) with wide lower profile tyres, and colour coded bumpers, tinted windows, high performance type 4 out the back and a BAS exhaust and a oil cooler under a vented front valance, roll cage, modern interior with lots of carbon, lack of chrome, and all trim colour coded, braced under the bonnect, lightened and drilled where appropriate, uprated supsension and roll bars, five speed box, limited slip diff, etc, etc...

I think the idea of the German look is the look of the Kafer-cup cars, and most of these modifications were done to make the cars more competetive.

I would descibe my car as a type of German Look, but I am going to have a large type 1 out the back, instead of the favoured type 4, and it will have a Turbo Muffler, which is more Cal look. This is more due to budget etc..

I have all the trim, some is left in Chrome, quarter lights etc. But I still think mine is GL, it is defo not Cal Look.

Let me know what you think
Old August 30th 2002, 01:12

Nicely put, Andy.

I think that germanlook is simply a non-traditional approach to aircooled VW performance. We're modernizing our cars to perform in all aspects of driving. It's not just the going fast, it's the stopping fast and the cornering fast. Callook cars can't really touch us when it comes to spanking that curvy stretch of mountain road.

And I strongly agree that the GL is best suited for late model VWs. Late models have the best performing suspensions, lend themselves better to the modern styling of the equipment we use on our cars, and they also have the best visability through the larger windows.

I would think it would suck to look up at my mirror and see mostly headliner and a little oval of road behind me. I'm not trying to bash early model GLs because they can pull it off like no one's business. Anyone else see that turbo-ed oval GL at the last sac. bug o rama?

check it out here

Anyway this is all opinion. I just think it's about performance, not the size of the rims and the name on the brakes. The only thing I would say you would HAVE to have to have a GL would be low profile tires.

All this from a guy who's planning a type 4 engine, single pot 944 brakes and big porsche alloys. Sounds traditional GL- except that I have a full interior, a nice stereo, and all of my trim intact.
Old August 31st 2002, 19:06

'82 Black Mex bug-German look

Can anybody tell me where I can find out more info on that BLACK '82 Mexican bug that was featured in the Jan '01 Super VW magazine as well as the the June '02 VWtrends? I like his Remelle rear spoiler the best. Clean and nest. I really like the black German-look bug. That bug got me started on this information search.
Old September 3rd 2002, 16:58

Stealth German Look??

Ok, I've been watching this thread for a while and decided to throw my two cents in....for what it's worth (probably less than 2 cents).
German Look/Euro look, the name means little to me. I like the no rules, go for the performance concept. I think Jak has that one down!
Here's my project that is a little more than half done:
'68 irs beetle, chrome strips removed, stock steel fenders, '73 tail lights (the flat ones, no not the clear ones!), front turn signals removed/filled, H4 headlights with driving lights and turn signals built in. Early euro blade bumpers because they are cleaner and less bulky.
902 Porsche 5 speed, I just screwed an old Hurst "T" handle on it (I miss my old muscle cars)!! That should mess up someones preconceived notions!
2.0L type 4 with 911 cooling, 10-1 compression, custom cam, many high tech coatings used in and on the engine, engine is built, I am currently building a header for it.
944 disk brakes, early, easy to mount, if I need more I will call Wilwood and go for the big stuff.
'82 911 SC seats
914 tach in the speedo hole
912 speedo in speaker panel
VDO ****pit gages to cover the other vitals
912 steel wheels/hubcaps with 195s in front and 205s rear
Looking at it you may think it is a Callook until you step closer and see what is really under the skin.
I'm about a year longer than I thought but still under the $6000 budget (until paint). I am fortunate to be able to do all the work myself (except engine machine work).
Things I'm thinking about-full roll cage, 1" sway bar to fit my 2" narrowed beam, racing buckets, OOPS there goes the budget!
To be quite blunt-if GL goes the way of Callook with rules, it will become the same boring cookie cutter type cars (I think that dead horse is starting to smell!).
Looks can be deceiving,
ken
Old September 4th 2002, 09:05

Re: Stealth German Look??

Quote:
Originally posted by kdanie

914 tach in the speedo hole
912 speedo in speaker panel
VDO ****pit gages to cover the other vitals
I like that idea! my dash is a padded 1303 dash, with the make believe wood, but I assume that the 944 tacho would go in ok. Is it a fairly easy mod?

But where the hell could I put the speedo? all other gauges are at present in a tunnel mounted console, would like to move them upto eye height, but where?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old September 4th 2002, 10:52

Andy, I've never seen a 1303 dash in person so I can't be much help. Both my type 1s are '68 standards, one swing axle one IRS. I'm sure some of the forum members would be willing to post pictures of thier dash set ups.
ken
Old September 4th 2002, 11:00

Andy, you either have to mount it above or below the dash, or mod the dash to accept the tacho. The dash is made of metal (under the foam). Heres how to mod the dash to accept for dials:

- Remove the foam from the dash, best remove the whole dash to do this.
- Cut off the speedo housing, and surrounding area.
- Create a new dial pod out of aluminium sheet, hows about a nice curve following the curve of the steering wheel? Or a 911 style dash?
- Fix the new pod to the dash with rivets, or nuts and bolts.
- Fix in a plate to hold your new dials.
- Paint the whole dash in matt black or body color, or how's about carbon look stick on film? Or get it trimmed in leather!

Chris