Old November 15th 2005, 12:13

Here are the dyno day results
Click here

Sandeep, I dont think Pete was able to bring his Super this time

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old November 15th 2005, 18:37

4800kms round trip

I guess my adventure started when i broke a rocker shaft on the Dyno here in Toronto, tuning for the Dyno Day at Fishers (Wed night 11:30pm). After pulling a all nighter, getting the bug back to my house, swapping a set of old JSC rockers, found out i couldn't adjust the pushrods enough cause they were too long.

Big :agree: for Nigel in the Yellow 73 for taking my spot!

Thurs, afternoon, left with Lanner(VDubEngineering), without the car, and headed for the border. At the border we were turned around, because half of his T-shirts were made in Vietnam, even though they were bought/printed in New York. So according to some Textile subsection Law, they said no entry. So stashed them at a local Windsor shop (nice owner), till we got back.

Got word, the VKG/Germanlook guys were ONLY 2hrs ahead! Tried to catch up Got caught doing 93 in a 70 south of Atlanta ($380US) and told if i want to fight it, show up in court on the 28th of Dec.

---->>>> I paid the fine/bond and we were on our way. Does anyone know if Georgia is a state that communicates with Ontario? AJRacer? and thoughts if my insurance will know of this?

The Dyno day had me Giddy all day. The screaming motors were awesome! The event was well organized, it was like 28degC, bugs and HP everywhere. Even when you needed to cool off stepping into the AC'd store, stuffed with VW parts of Fisher's was great!

I enjoyed the Bug Jam. It was really cramped. Even in the far north we give each other some room. Saw a lot of quality cars, had a good time! The T-Shirts are a little chezzy and it will probably sit in the closet. Picked up a few other shirts from the vendors around, that will get some wear.

Took tons of pics (300+), and a few 20 sec clips on my camera from the Dyno. Even though i didn't have my car down there, had a long great weekend!

I will be down again, the chezzy BUG JAM shirts/cramped show, won't keep me away. The good people/great cars will keep me going back!

Thanks Guys! Was really awesome, and worth the trip!

By the way, that wed night: with the broken rocker shaft, the Super made 165HP and 150Ft-lbs at the wheels with the fan belt on!

The 2 top HP guys at the Dyno Day had their fan belts off. In my opinion, the 2332 Split all motor bug that was 3rd was the winner of the day!

Last edited by petevw; November 20th 2005 at 08:54.
Old November 15th 2005, 18:46

Last edited by petevw; November 20th 2005 at 08:55.
Old November 15th 2005, 22:50

This is what i did the night before Florida...

Motor didn't sound right, I thought i had lost a cam with all the racket! so figured its not going to Florida might as well kill it on the Dyno. Did a couple pulls and netted 165HP and 150Ft-lbs of torque!
After the couple runs on the Dyno, I drove it home. The rocker was kept somewhat in place by the head/valve cover.

Last edited by petevw; November 15th 2005 at 22:54.
Old November 19th 2005, 23:35

"Got word, the VKG/Germanlook guys were ONLY 2hrs ahead! Tried to catch up Got caught doing 93 in a 70 south of Atlanta ($380US) and told if i want to fight it, show up in court on the 28th of Dec.

---->>>> I paid the fine/bond and we were on our way. Does anyone know if Georgia is a state that communicates with Ontario? AJRacer? and thoughts if my insurance will know of this?"

Pete:

My understanding with MTO is that the inter State - inter Provincial
transfer of Moving Violations only apply with Border States; ie. Michigan,
NY, etc. but a quick call the a MTO office should be able to confirm for
you on Moday.

Allan Mayhew
ajracer
Old November 20th 2005, 20:54

This was in the Star today and said that New York and Michigan will contact Ontario who then apply dermit points and fines. Other States MAY contact ontario. So its a gamble. Thats all I know

jamie
Old November 21st 2005, 02:02

Georgia didn't have a contact with Maryland years ago, so I doubt they will contact Ontario.
Old November 23rd 2005, 02:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajracer

"Got word, the VKG/Germanlook guys were ONLY 2hrs ahead! Tried to catch up Got caught doing 93 in a 70 south of Atlanta ($380US) and told if i want to fight it, show up in court on the 28th of Dec.

---->>>> I paid the fine/bond and we were on our way. Does anyone know if Georgia is a state that communicates with Ontario? AJRacer? and thoughts if my insurance will know of this?"

Pete:

My understanding with MTO is that the inter State - inter Provincial
transfer of Moving Violations only apply with Border States; ie. Michigan,
NY, etc. but a quick call the a MTO office should be able to confirm for
you on Moday.

Allan Mayhew
ajracer

Nopes...they all communicate. I live in Florida and got a ticket in Connecticut and Viginia (not during the same trip )...trust me, they communicate

Posted on the Site News thread without reading this, but here's the post:

I would be really pissed if I had a 2332 and only pulled 143HP at the wheels....especially considering a 2276 pulled 164HP and even worse that a 2165 pulled 184HP....But I guess you can't say much to people who don't run fan belts on thier run Estimate on what they're run with the belt on?

What's up with Tony Hendersons TQ #s...what was he running boost wise?
Old November 23rd 2005, 02:51

Any more pics of John Henns Split? That thing looks intense as hell.... :agree:
Old November 23rd 2005, 08:00

No Man! I was on the laughing gas. You know the nitrous. The only thing was i lost a carb linkage. so the hp was screwed and i had to shut down. the those cars that made big hp numbers were the real deal.i dont think the fan belt made that much of a difference.as far as engine size those engines could have been a little more mild than the smaller ones. also the air was a little different which caused things to be screwed up a little on some cars not mine but some.
Old November 23rd 2005, 09:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
Nopes...they all communicate. I live in Florida and got a ticket in Connecticut and Viginia (not during the same trip)...trust me, they communicate.

I would be really pissed if I had a 2332 and only pulled 143HP at the wheels....especially considering a 2276 pulled 164HP and even worse that a 2165 pulled 184HP....But I guess you can't say much to people who don't run fan belts on thier run Estimate on what they're run with the belt on?

What's up with Tony Hendersons TQ #s...what was he running boost wise?
I'll find out tommorrow if they communicate with Ontario.

I think the fan belt makes a difference. Talked to Mel at the Jam, and he figures the motor puts down 165 with the belt on.

I think the 2332's in the 140's had small carbs. I think Kevin has 44's? I believe James's car with the fan belt on would have been in the 130-140's too. The 2165 was badass and pulled it in 4th gear. Most guys were dynoing in 3rd. Heard the dyno was calibrated so guys do 3rd gear runs. i think James and Mel were the only ones hitting 4th? Make a diff? i don't know..... If all the cars were sampling a RPM signal and used it to compare the rate of change of the rollers, would the higher MPH of using 4th gear, and the same RPM range, interpret the numbers differently? no clue....

Sorry Tony, my opinion is your TQ was a little off. I was filming your car by the door of the Dyno computer dude, and heard the RPM pickup of your motor was not all there. A little slow, like in half. Seems like it was sampling 3 times for 6 RPM's. This would explain the high torque numbers to me. Changing the rate of the rollers 40-80MPH while thinking your doing it in 500-3000rpm, instead of 1000-6000rpm probably was giving off a monster torque reading. Wasn't that the number from the last run, which you sprayed? Standing there on the last run it didn't sound good when you went into 3rd, i think thats when the linkage came off, and you ran spraying only 2 cyl (i erased that run from my camera, because it didn't sound good/right). Guess i should have kept it.. I was the only one close to your car hiding behind my little camera. Everyone stepped back after you purged the nitrous.

The Dyno dude also mentioned the Mallory ignitions were giving him big sampling problems all day. Which also explains Joe's run. Who is running those Mallory's?

This and not having my car there, was all i could think about driving home.

When the snow melts, i plan on throwing my car on the Dyno, to answer some of my questions. Do runs in 3rd and 4th, with the belt ON/OFF.

I had a blast down there, and these are just my observations. I hope nobody takes it the wrong way.
Old November 23rd 2005, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by oicdn
Any more pics of John Henns Split? That thing looks intense as hell....

Old November 23rd 2005, 10:04

Old November 23rd 2005, 12:01

What kind of fan setup is on the split?

[/QUOTE]
VKG Bastage child