GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old September 22nd 2003, 11:42

35, married 15 years, 1 girl, 1 boy, 13 and 7 respectively. 4 years in the Air Force. (1989-1993) Was trained as an Engineering Asst. (basically, I draft what the Engineer dreams up) and was able to carry on the same work as a "civillian" but now the job is called "Drafting Technician." You'd think I went to ITT Technical Institute for that title.

I have been working at the dump now for 10 years as a Drafting Tech. I like my job, get paid well, but don't love it.

Fear the Four-Eyed Speed Demon. He will pass!
Old October 2nd 2003, 21:47

I like this one. nice to see what your fellow vw buddies do all day.

21, no wife, no g/f, no kids, oh and right now, NO CAR!!!!!!!!! (soon very very soon....) and I'm a gardener, 30+ hours a week. I cut yards, trim hedges, etc...yea....exciting :silly: Boss is pretty cool, i actually rent out his front house, (he lives in the back house) so its kinida weird, but way cool, (and CHEAP!!). I just can't stand the DIRT BOOGERS!!! AHHH!!!!

Anyway, i'm also a full time student (12 units/semester) over at Pasadena City College. I'm taking a Television Operations class, a really basic (prerequsite) computer class, and for fun, a beginning acting class. It's all good stuff, (nice to be back in school...NEVER thought I would say that!!), except I don't know what I really WANT to do. Of course my dream would be to get good, and do what JAKE RABY does (specialize in T4s), but on the west coast (AWESOME!!!) or race cars for a living, LOL!! Just recently I've thought about getting into aircraft engines and such, to support my nasty habit, seems like it could pay well. Anyway, I really don't where I'm going...but life isn't about getting "there" its all about making the trek, right!?!?!

Laterz guys, DubLuv, GLF

Last edited by Eurolook71; October 2nd 2003 at 21:51.
Old October 2nd 2003, 21:54

I'm 23 engaged, no kids- Thank god. I'm a master certified auto
tech, and I work in a private shop that does everything. I have 4 years experience. I have a 70 bug (Macht Schnell) an a 59 ragtop(Rosie). I have 2 other cars
also, but my 70 is getting a nice rebuild right now.
Old October 2nd 2003, 21:58

well i'm 32.
the shipping manager for a computer cooling and modding specialty store.
married 6 years no kids.
just bought a new house.

i'm an ex armoured personell carrier driver from the Royal Regiment of Canada. lots of fun runnin around on 6 wheels.
now i stick to 4 wheels. my 73 super gl in progress and 97 golf
Old October 3rd 2003, 08:32

Its good to see what most of you do most of the week when you're day dreaming about working on your VW!

I'm 30 with a wife and a 4month old daughter. Currently working as a civilian mechanical engineer for the US Navy for the past 7 years predicting and evaluating ship and submarine performance www.dt.navy.mil

Its interesting work - I get to go out on the newest ships and subs to instrument them and "see what she'll do". All the while, the job makes me a jack of all trades - a lot of project/people management, setting up networks, designing and installing instrumentation, machine work, technical writing, etc.

However, I've decided that my true passion is in the automotive field - anybody got any leads on engineering positions in the automotive field (preferably a company that needs a German speaking engineer)? If you do, PM me!
Old October 8th 2003, 19:23

26, married, baby girl coming in a month. Union electrician L.U 98 in Philadelphia. Love my job, but I think I would rather work on cars. Dog, Iguana. 4 VW's and an Audi on the way. In progress: '74 Super 2276 EFI Turbo and '83 Rabbit GTI. GTI's almost finished. You name it, its been replaced. Used to have an '84, but got t-boned a few mos. ago, and decided to build another, but better. Basically I have a "new" Rabbit without the car payment.

accident pic:
http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...ght=rabbit+gti :reallysad

"If you are under control you're going too slow" - Parnelli Jones
Old October 8th 2003, 19:32

Congrats Julian on the new baby girl.I have 2 girls with the xwife,9 and 10.Ialso have A 2 more, 8 and 10 with the Fiancee,3 acvws 57,66,71 super,2 cats,1 fish,1 100lb Bulldog,1 African scorpion,and they all seem to think they have to eat every day?Go figure ...Donald..
Old October 9th 2003, 19:08

I work In Los Angeles California, live in the San Fernando Valley just 18 Miles north of Downtown. Graphic designer DVD menu design. Work evenings.
Old November 11th 2003, 20:46

I have a girlfriend of 5 years, 4 cats, 3 cars, 2 motorcycles, a truck, and a couple of guitars. My life is bliss.

I like my work, sometimes I don't like who I work for.

I'm a mechanic at a small independent garage. I mostly work on automobiles, and light trucks, but we will take in most anything.

I've worked on a Puch moped, and a John Deere 7020 4WD in the same week!

42% of our clientelle own vehicles with over 100,000 miles. I think I should change my job title from "Mechanic/Shop Foreman"
to "Garbage Technician"

Yetibone
'83 928S 4.7
Old November 11th 2003, 20:51

You can drive down and help me put my super diff in my swingaxle .My parts are on the way.....Donald
Old November 11th 2003, 23:26

What does everyone do for a living.

Hi, their i see some of you guy's are in the field i want to get into ( computer's ). Well i am 31, not married yet, girlfriend of 2 year's she's cool, one 1972 beetle with 1835cc engine soon to be 2270 or 2316cc type . Currently doing my A+ certification in computers so that i can get on to doing what i realy want to do, games designing. One crazy mixed bread dog as a pet ( spot ). Hey can any of you guy's tell me how to break into the games industry. Oh buy the way my job isn't that bad it's in telecoms.
Old November 12th 2003, 05:52

I'm 32 married with a baby due any day now! I work as an IT director for a messaging company in Sydney, Australia with lots of travel to South East Asia (good for those Japanese shows). My wife is interested in VW's too and owns a 1500S Notch. She bought me a 58 356A for my 30th birthday! Life doesn't get better than that!

Cheers

Steve
Old November 12th 2003, 10:14

I'm 37 although my wife says that I act like I'm 10. Married, and I have two wonderful boys ages 6 and 7. I spent 11 years in the Navy as a Aviation Maintenance Administration Man (1986-1997). I now sale factory new and surplus aircraft parts to the DOD, and foreign militaries (www.aarcorp.com). I have three VW's, a 56, and 63 beetle, and a 1974 Ghia. My wife is very understanding of my addiction, she loves animals and has three dogs, and three cats. I think it's a fair trade off!
Old November 12th 2003, 13:48

I'm a 37 years old Business Development Manager for a large consumer electronics manufacturer. Been married 11 years with one step-son (20), one son (5), one dog (Pug), two VW's ('99 Jetta and '69 Bug), and no time or money...
Old November 12th 2003, 14:54

Hi, i am a computer artist, I work for www.siliconknights.com
If you want to break into the games industry, go to www.gameasutra.com, there are job listings there
Bry