GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 5th 2003, 19:15

Type IV 67 Camper

Hey I am puttin a T4 2L in a 67 camper with a set of Kadrons. What I was wondering about was whether I would half to get my carbs modified for this motor and where could I find an exaust system that will fit underneath my rear bumper? I would like to have the option of putting one of those phatboy mufflers on my bus but I am really just looking for something that will fit! I would also want to know if there is any way I can use th heater boxes from this motor on my bus? I almost forgot...I am also lowering my bus with dropped spindles and the rear swingaxle lowering kit. Any ideas, suggestions, or pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old April 7th 2003, 01:24

Exhaust

I have seen that BAS have a muffler for a bus 2.0L but I am not sure if the clearance for a later model bus is alot different from an early model. They seem to not have an e-mail address so I can't write them and ask. Does anyone know of someone running this set-up in an early bus? I have also noticed that FAT has a muffler and would like to know what people's experiences are with their product. Theres gotta be someone who knows something.
Old April 17th 2003, 19:53

About 4 to 6 months ago there was a Split Window (23 Window) in Volksworld that had the BAS exhaust on it. I emailed the owner and he told me it fit fine.

I have a 66 i the garage now with a upright T4 1700 in it. I went with a cheap EMPI T4 header with 411/412 J-Tubes. It sticks out to far for the bumper. I'm going to shorten the J-Tubes for now and try and put the muffler on the side.

As for the Phatboy muffler; if you're going to do a custom steup. Buy the Muffler from jegs.com. The same muffler that's comes with that setup, 17734, is $35 plus shipping. The local shop gets $150 for the Phatboy setup and you would have to cut it to fit.
Old April 18th 2003, 07:15

I do not think that the 2,0 T4 bus enine fits in an >67 bus a good deal of cutting in the sheet metal, if at all.
But if you use the >78 model bus engine /heaterbox/exhaust, that should fit without much trouble.
But everybody I have seen and talked to said there was a problem with the cooling, so they converted it to an upright version.
Having said that, I know evrything is possible. It just requires more time
Old April 18th 2003, 17:46

I already have it converted to the upright conversion, so I don't have to cut anything. Its just the exhaust sticks out too far for the bumper to go on. I figure that I may have to fabricate the linkage and an exhaust system