GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 6th 2003, 18:09

Thumbs up

congrats. that is great news. enjoy it. i know i will when the time comes.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old April 7th 2003, 01:27

Exhaust

Does anyone know if the BAS bus exhaust will fit in a Splitwindow bus with the rear bumper on? If not then what about the FAT exaust?
Old April 25th 2003, 08:50
Administrator

Post An Update ...

Well I've been running the car in the evenings for 3 days now, making sure everything is up to par before I start driving it daily starting this Monday.

I still can't get over the power when compared to stock !

I WILL NEED a kafer-cup brace really soon. When I cut my decklid, I didn't make the cut low enough. I need to trim it by about 1/2" towards the bottom of the decklid. In hindsight this was good because it made me aware of the brace problem.

I had these weird scratches on my newly painted fan housing .. turms out that the engine is 'Dropping' when I accellerate really hard and the fan housing is scraping on the decklid in the area I made the cut.

So hopefully the cup brace will cure this problem. I'm sure it will.

Another thing, I was driving behind a dodge Dakota last night and we were approaching a hill, a type of hill that I would not dare attemp a pass with a stock 1600cc. Well I passed him in 3rd gear like I would pass someone going downhill with my 1600cc after getting a good run !

I guess I can now confidently pass while driving ! AMAZING to me because I could not do this before. This engine really woke up my bug, and I can now drive like I'm driving a modern car with power, but is still aircooled !

I will post some engine temps and more experiences during the latter part of next week, when I have some driving time into it.

Later.

Sandeep
Old April 25th 2003, 09:25

that is great Sandeep!

I cannot wait to get my engine done...

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old April 27th 2003, 16:59

Awesome work!

In a related story, I was at The Hershey Pa Porsche swap meet and I met up with a guy selling a running fat shroud'ed 2.0. He didn't believe me that with a small cut you can fit it in a bug. If I had gone there with the intent of buying an engine, it wouldn't be on the back of his crew-cab bus.

Enjoy and good luck!

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old April 28th 2003, 08:38
Administrator

Post Temps update

OK,

Drove it to work this morning. The trip is about 15 minutes, with one valley (up and down, moderate incline for about 1 min) and the rest pretty flat.

The head temp (monitored at #3 cyl) varied between 150 and 250 deg. It was a pretty relaxing drive, 80 kph (50mph) speed limit. Oil temp hit 180 deg (fan turned on) when I pulled into the parking lot.

I accelerated up the hill in 4th !

I'll have an even better idea of how this engine performs when I go the Boxer AG meeting this Wednesday. I'm taking the long way there, about a 30 minite drive and I'll get it up to 90 - 100 mph for sure !

BTW, I cooked a 165/80 on the weekend .. had to buy some el-cheapo 195/65 's to get me by until I can put on my 18's.

The muffler is still a bit too loud on the car (Dynomax Super Turbo 2 1/2", like a Porsche / Corvette muffler, inlet and outlet on the same side, mounted like 1/2 of the BAS system .. STEALTH !

I will need to put some stereo sound insullation on the firewall in the passenger compartment. I LOVE the whine of the Porsche fan ... It makes me want to drive faster !

Later.

Sandeep
Old May 7th 2003, 13:21
Administrator

An update ..

I've been driving the car for a while now, really happy with the way things have turned out. I have ordered some fatter idle jets and that should cure my low end backfiring.

Driving impressions .. The car drives great, easy to start, runs well and has power to lay scratch in 1st and chirp the tires in 2nd (195/65/15).

I've had it up to 90 mph on the freeway for 10 mins before I had to slow down due to traffic, head temps hit 350 deg (#3 cylinder) and oil temps hit 190 deg C. The 96 plate mesa with fan keep the oil between 170 deg and 190 deg. At startup I get 60 psi on the oil (Penzoil 10w30) and 20 psi when at idle when warmed up.

The head temps stay about 250 deg during my daily drives and when I step on it, hit 350 deg, but cool right down again when I get off the throttle.

I'll be taking it to a racetrack in the next few weeks to do 5 laps and see how the temps stay.

I NEED A CUP BRACE BADLY ... I've embarassed my self twice now... trans pops out of gear halfway through the intersection .. (once racing a WRX and once racing a Riced out Civic.)

Sandeep
Old May 7th 2003, 18:42

Hmmn, amazing, thats the same temps my bus engine runs, but it has a STOCK cooling system, 9:1 CR on a 2200cc engine (stroker)
Old May 7th 2003, 19:24

:sleepy:
Old May 8th 2003, 08:55

Alex....LOL

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old May 8th 2003, 09:44
Administrator

Well then,

I have nothing to worry about if my engine is cooling within the correct range. Looks like I am not overcooling with my combination then.

Saving for the 100mm birals and LN heads now.

Sandeep
Old May 8th 2003, 10:31

You should get your engine (IDFs) tuned and adjusted too. This is will help also.

Alex
Old May 8th 2003, 13:38
Administrator

Getting it done this weekend

Sandeep
Old June 19th 2003, 14:51
Administrator

Post Update

I have made up some covers to fit around the Fat shroud. The area it covers is behind (in front) of the fan pulley towards the rear apron, seperating the top from the bottom of the engine. Its like the tin on a type 1 where the hoses go through to the heater boxes.

The idea here was to stop the 911 fan from sucking in air past the BAS header, kind of like preheating the air before the fan inhaled it. This worked out great because I can't get the head temp (measured at #3 spark plug) to get past 325 deg when I really drive it hard.

Also my fan stays alot cleaner now becuase it isnt sucking in dusty air from under the car .. only clean air from behind the decklid now.

Alex suggested I put a bead of silicon between the gap in the shroud and the fan so with this and these plates it looks like I save 25 deg on my engine.

Sandeep
Old June 19th 2003, 17:43

WOOOOOOOOOO Sandeep

What a nice motor you have... it's finger likking!!!!

That is a motor i want in the future....:silly: :silly:

Or will I go for a WBX with G-loader (from G-60 motor), Turbo , dumbvalves, intercooler, etc....

Just kidding..

When is it going on a dyno?? I want to now howmuch HP you have??

Grt. Wiebrand