GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old May 11th 2005, 09:09

2.0 from a 912e in a 1302

Would a 2.0 liter from a '76 Porsche 912-E work with a 1971 Super with a stock tranny? What mods might be necessary? What exhaust would be suggested?

And most importantly, would this be a good candidate for a future 2270cc and an upgraded tranny?
Old May 11th 2005, 12:32
Administrator

Yes it would be a great engine for a swap. You would need the standard stuff to put a Type 4 into a bug. If you don't need heat, the new A1 exhaust would be what I would go with. If you want heat look for a set of shortened 411/412 heater boxes/bus header.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=7973207024
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old May 12th 2005, 10:29

Hmmm, I have 35 hours (unless someone uses the But It Now feature) to investigate precisely what "the standard stuff" is. The engine upgrade was originally listed as my Phase Four so my Type 4 investigating has been casual up until now. I may have a line on a good 912-E engine -- prompting me to speed things up. 88hp would be a nice upgrade until I can get the rest done.

The A-1 sure seems nice from what I've read. I did some measuring and scaling from the pic of the A-1, and I'm afraid I'll be doing some scraping on my driveway. I thought I read of another option being researched and developed. I don't know.

Maybe, I should check out the engine first. If it is as advertised, I'll just mothball it until the other particulars are figured out.
Old May 13th 2005, 08:16

jake and tuna have some great details on their sites about the needed parts for the conversion. need to get some of that info on the front page here one day.

as usual, it depends how far you want to go. if you want to drop it in as is plan on at least:
cooling - $500-$1500 (boygenius has a DTM for sale)
exhaust - $500-$1000
misc (tune-up parts, etc) - $100-$400

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old May 13th 2005, 10:04

Yup, their pages are a great read -- I just hadn't committed anything to memory. The price ranges for the as-it-is set-up was extra useful. Thanks!

The doodle with the smashed 912e couldn't get it to start ... and claimed he said as such. I apologized for misunderstanding but when I got home and double-checked his e-mail, he bragged how well it ran despite the car's frontal rearrangement.

Oh well. It might have been too much of a financial distraction to do things out of order anyway. But if a genuine opportunity falls into my lap in the future, I'll be more ready. I'll just hope the seller is, too.

Thanks, zen and NO_H20. :agree:
Old May 19th 2005, 11:18

I just scored 4 complete running 914 spec 2 liter engines.... They were pulled to install six cylinders and one only has 60K miles on it!