GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old November 1st 2011, 09:14

Modern screens are daylight visible and self adjusting to ambient lighting or you can use time of day to change the gamma settings. Things have come a long way since I was looking at this even a few years back. With solid state drives also now becoming affordable and screen technology having advanced its much easier. You could even slap a small tablet PC into the dash and take it away with you. That would run all the tuning software and anythign else you wanted it to do
Old November 2nd 2011, 06:01

Quote:
You could even slap a small tablet PC into the dash and take it away with you.
Yeah that would be cool,although space is pretty limited on a bug dash.There is a lot of really cool stuff nowadays,though.I really like to see what these freaks are doing.
Old November 2nd 2011, 09:05

These freaks are dragging you lot kicking and screaming into the 21st century!
Old November 4th 2011, 09:46
Administrator

Thanks Guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricola View Post
Do you have a plan on how you are going to do that left brake master cylinder pushrod? Looks like it will get sandwiched in with the body gasket...
2 heads are better than one Thanks for that, didn't even see the issue. I will fab something up to take care of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_kaholik View Post
These freaks are dragging you lot kicking and screaming into the 21st century!
Right On !!

Al ... that is a nicely done installation. I'll be using a pico ITX box with an AVR microcontroller intercepting the data feed from the DTA S60 Pro, and then passing on to the ITX box that runs the software to make my touchscreen look pretty. I want to incorporate a GPS feed because of all of the driving I will (eventually) be doing.

The smaller the interface box the better, because the car does not really have an interior (2 seats, steering wheel and shifter )

Sandeep
Old November 4th 2011, 09:58
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
NICE Sandeep!! ... At night a normal screen is quite distracting (to me) because it´s usally a little too bright and if there is movement on the screen away from your immediate view of sight, I tend to always look over to it ...
Good point Mark. Perhaps I'll write some code to flash a small LED in the tach or somewhere on the dash to indicate if any of the gauge data is reading high. That way, I can have a quick look at the screen and see what the #$%% is causing the issue

Sandeep
Old November 4th 2011, 12:04

If you can program that, you could also program a light sensitive sensor that dims when it's dark or when sun light hits it, it brightens.It makes life much easier if you have a "glass ****pit" i.e. a display unit for all your engine data etc.
Old November 4th 2011, 14:15
Administrator

The touchscreen does that automatically, light sensitive screen that reacts to the ambient light around it.

Working towards having this pig on the road for 2012

Sandeep
Old November 4th 2011, 14:42

Wrong animal Sandeep, but I won't mind this time ;-)
Old November 4th 2011, 15:00

Sandeep - happy to have a chat off this board on any ideas/help or just to chew the fat....

You can PM me and we'll exchange emails. Pico is the way to go - I'll be updating my board at some point in the future I think SSDs are the way forward.
Old February 18th 2013, 15:59
Administrator

Time to update this thread after about 15 months away from the project

I've started building up the 2413cc T4 Turbo (80mm x 98mm) and have it completed to the shortblock.

80mm Raby / DPR ion nitrated crank

Crank assembly completed with Magnum straight cut gear and Scat 5.325" H beam rods with ARP 2000 bolts

Crank assembly installed in case, along with cam assembly clearanced for TP DS billet pump. Green lube is Joe Gibbs Driven assembly grease

Case halves prepped with Curil K2 and ready to close up

Shortblock together with ARP throughbolts and starting to add some external bits. Curil T under all case washers and through bolts to prevent oil leakage

10mmx1.0 to -3AN adapter for turbo feed line in place of oil pressure sender. I will add a new oil pressure sender somewhere else in the system, possibly in the oil cooler block off plate somewhere, to clean up the exposed wiring around the engine. The oil cooler block off has had a new oil path drilled in to it to permit passage of oil.

Block as it sits right now
Old February 18th 2013, 16:16

Great to see progress here!
Tnx for the pics.
Old February 18th 2013, 16:16
Administrator

Clutch solution based on pinched ideas from other members on this board (Wally) and the internet

VW type 4 automatic flex plate with original flex plate rivets drilled out to reveal this finely machined factory peice (right). Pre-86 Chevy V8 button flywheel made by Tilton (left)

Some fine machining / TIG welding by Robert Gross to mate these two peices. They were pressed together with 10 tons of force with an interference fit before welding. Lets hope this assembly holds together

Rebuilt Tilton 7.25" dual disc clutch with 620 ft/lbs of clamping pressure (Ebay Nascar find) along with Porsche G50 ring gear

Now need to machine this peice out of aluminim to connect the ring gear to the flywheel assembly

Final unit should look like this once completed

More updates as they happen ... need to keep the momentumn as the goal is to be ready for the Berlin Klassik in September
Old February 20th 2013, 09:16

Looking great Sandeep! I really like your idea on the flywheel and clutch set up!
Old February 20th 2013, 15:59
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Great to see progress here!
Tnx for the pics.
Thanks Wally ... hope you don't mind the pinched clutch idea .. or the pinched G50 installation

Sandeep
Old February 20th 2013, 16:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Turbobug View Post
Looking great Sandeep! I really like your idea on the flywheel and clutch set up!
Thanks Mark ... but I can't take credit for this one as the information was already out there on the 'net. The cool thing about this flywheel setup is that it cost me ~ 100$ not including the welding.

The issue right now will be the final weight once completed as the whole assembly including clutch and discs should come in at about 8.5 lbs. It may be a biotch to drive in traffic, but that is not the goal of the project

Sandeep