GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Transmissions

Old September 6th 2006, 11:20

Gearbox advice/comparison/HELP!

I have a 1961 split panel van. I will be fitting a 2366 T4 engine later this year. Mild-ish build 140 BHP at the wheels. I'm looking for reliability and power not all out racing, although I cant honestly say it will never be launched or raced...

I have the chance to buy a rebuilt and tested type 1 IRS box with the following spec superbeetle main shaft, steel shift forks,welded first and second gears, close ratio third and fourth, type 2 output shafts, quaiffe diff installed, brand new ring and pinion.

I realise this is more of a race box and I will want something that isnt going to rev the motor to death when cruising at motorway speeds. I cant help thinking tho that is a good deal and should last a long time whereas a Porsche box would have better gearing but I guess not the same strength?

Also the IRS box will drop straight in whereas the Porsche box would take a fair amount of surgery and expense to fit.

Help me decide !

I'm open to suggestions...
Old September 7th 2006, 04:33

If the price is right, I'd get it and put longer 3/4 gears in it and a 3.88 ring & pinion if not already installed..
Rich
Old September 7th 2006, 06:11

Porsche the better choice.

I would take the Porsche gearbox, cause itīs not only one gear on top, but a better gradation (hope this the correct word) from each gear to the next. Thatīs a great advantage compared to making only third and fourth longer. The step between the 2nd and the 3rd will be too long then. There will be more than enough situations were you will feel this.
140 PS is no big deal for a 901 or 914 gearbox, but lots of adjustments and improvements are necessary to make the type 1 gearbox stand power and torque of such an engine. Also keep in mind that a Splitty is no Bug what concerns the weight of the car.
Porsche gearboxes of the old type 901 were designed for and used in sportscars. So they are that what the manufacturer wanted them to.

Martin
Old September 8th 2006, 16:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugat5speed
..... lots of adjustments and improvements are necessary to make the type 1 gearbox stand power and torque of such an engine.....
Apparantly you didn't read Darren's post. The Type 1 gearbox he is looking at already has all the strong bits. All that needs to be done is to put stock gears in it. Likely, he could sell the close gears for the cost of having stock gears installed.

Seems to me this Type 1 gearbox choice is a no-brainer.

If someone was starting with a SSC IRS Type 1 trans, all that needs to be done is switch out the fine tooth Beetle gears for coarse tooth Bus gears, and install a Superdiff using 10x15 gears. This is good to 200hp, easy.

Last edited by Bruce2; September 8th 2006 at 17:09.
Old September 9th 2006, 07:43

@Bruce2:

I undestood, that these changes were already made to the gearbox. But tell me, does this cause no expenses?

901 / 914 gearboxes were used in serial cars (sportscars) with upto 180 PS (serial version) and they easily stand 50 - 60 PS more.

Never forget the argument with having one gear more (not on top, but spread over the whole range of your standard gear ratios).

But itīs always a question of liking an idea, or not wanting it.

Martin

Bug @ 5-Speed
Old September 9th 2006, 14:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren
I have the chance to buy a rebuilt and tested type 1 IRS box .....
.....that is a good deal and should last a long time ...
What is the price of this gearbox?