GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > German Look Tuning

Old May 18th 2013, 21:14

fitting mallory or MSD distributer with porsche fan

Hi there, can anyone offer advise or experiance on fitting aftermarket distributers with a 9 blade porsche fan please.... My engine is serious typ 1 , 86 x 94, arpm case, super flow heads, idas, currently running porsche fan and 009 distributer, would like to fit MSD dizzy but it is much larger for obvious reasons, will have to move fan over alot to fit which worries me about cooling evenly. Dos anyone have pictures or ideas or options on better ignition. Regards brent
Old May 20th 2013, 18:43

You can fit an MSD or Mallory type dizzy. You will only need to open a window (cut down a part) on the left strapping belt at the point were the dizzy interfears.
A picture of my Petronix dizzy on my 2332 and an 11 blade Porsche fan.

On the other hand you can always fit something like this (crank trigger kit)

http://www.cbperformance.com/Product...oductCode=2094
Old May 20th 2013, 23:50

Thank you powerbug. Im alittle confused how you mean cut down the shroud? steel strap? My shroud was made here in NZ and maybe the machined block the fan sits on was positioned closer to the 009 than your one? The only way i can see it fitting was to build a new fan mounting block moving the fan over then having to modify or build and new shroud to fit. Quite a big job.. I had been researching trigger systems but never came across the one you have suggested. It looks great can you tell me the quaility, reliabiilty and performance of that one please? the price seems great. Kind regards Brent
Old May 23rd 2013, 18:44

Hi Brent

With regards to fitting the MSD dizzy when I mentioned that you can cut a part out I meant on the left steel strap that holds the fan down.
Made a small schematic to help you out.

Although your shroud and the block that the fan sits on may have been produced in NZ I don't think they differ that much from the ones sold here at Europe. After all they are all pretty much copies of each other!!
Do you have a picture of your shroud and fan bolted together along with 009 dizzy?

Wrt to the quality of the trigger system that CB sells it is very good. Have a couple of friends that use it and they had no problems with it.

Another system you might want to look at is the one from VW Speed Shop in the UK and it's this one

http://www.vwspeedshop.com/product.p...cat=494&page=1
Old May 24th 2013, 02:52

Thanks for that Powerbug, yes i see how you have cut a hole in the strap now, The picture helped thank you. I will see if this offers me enough room to fit larger dizzy now., I also looked at the other crank trigger system you suggested, definately another option for sure.. Tried 3 times to load picture.. I seem to struggle will get me son to attemp.
Old May 25th 2013, 03:07

Brent

One easy way to upload a picture is to upload it first to a hosting company's site like imageshack or photobuket. Once uploaded there copy the direct link they will provide for the photo and paste it here like this
[img]......direct link........[/img] and it will appear.
Old May 27th 2013, 17:46

Do you have the sharpbuilt 911 kit from Australia ?
Old May 27th 2013, 20:10

Not sure, if you go through one of my old threads...1303 steet legal race car in NZ, there is a picture or two showing rear of my car. It is many yrs old but i still have the same shroud. Cheers Brent