GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old July 28th 2005, 07:02

Smile

OK!

My father worked for RCCL for a long period, so i know a little about shipping.

Did you watch the "insane norwegians" videoes?

http://dvs.skynetblogs.be
Old July 28th 2005, 18:20

That's really cool that you got to meet him!

I too love my VW, but my Subaru (00 2.5 RS) is so much fun to drive!
Old July 29th 2005, 08:41

thanks for the pics. good timing as i am starting to consider a STI or Evo MR. i haven't test driven either. i know the rants and raves on the STI are strong. haven't heard many real world comments on the MR. the styling on both are a wash for me mostly as they are both ugly in their own way...but ugly in an acceptable kind of way...just odd enough to work thing. i used to weigh on the side of Sub, but lately have seen some Evo's that are swinging me that way and now this subby starts me back the other way. it may stay out of the lineup though as i can't go for a new one. need a 10k mile used one so someone else can eat the "drive off the lot" depreciasion.

although i think i am asking a biased crowd , thought on comparing the two (and have you driven both?). i am not overly concerned about the .000001 time differences, but more about comfort, daily traffic tolerance, fun factor, warranty, dependability, etc.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old July 29th 2005, 09:05

Zen,

I have have driven an STI, as well as an EVO.. not the MR though..

Both as you mention have their pros and cons... While I haven't tracked the EVO.. it was a blast to drive around town.. Very communicative, If that is a word..due to the Very quick stearing rack.. which at times makes this car very dangerous.. turn the wheel a little and your over two lanes on the highway.. Evo was a little firm.. but then again.. I run a stiff STI suspension based setup.. so that is not an issue to me.. but if I compare out of the box stiffness STI< EVO.. which makes the STI a nicer around town car..

As far as looks.. I like the EVO's more aggressive stance and look.. but at the same time my ugly duckling, as well as the STI, have a place in my heart..

It becomes a toss up as to what you want to do with the car.. Track or town cruiser.. for track I think out the box the MR package is hard to beat.. plus a lot more tuning has been done to that block vs the STI's 2.5 lt (which is relatively new).. On the other hand the STI with some upgrades is probably more than a handful..

I run a 02 WRX which has some suspension, brakes, and Scooby sports power upgrades.. it is fun around town, as well as on the track.. Granted it may have only 260-270 hp.. down a few to the STI.. but it just means that you have to drive cleaner, and smoother to go faster.. I haven't had a chance to run against to many STI's or EVO's yet.. but the one that I have run against, I have managed to out drive the STI driver, making me quicker..
All together a cheaper package than the STI.. which might be worth considering.. but again day and night from an out of the box STI..

I to am waiting for someone to take a depreciation hit on their STI..
I will wait for 06 models to come out.. and most likely try to acquire an 05 vs 04 next year.. Baby/Family priorities > New Car.. plus I need to fix up the GL's.. Not enough money for both..

Incidently the 06 WRX will come with a 2.5 lt detuned version of the STI's engine.. I think main difference is piston material and different turbo.. not sure about cams.. Might be worth considering as a cheaper GL option for some.. I may try to source one for my WRX though along with some new gears..

Hope that helps alittle.. feel free to ask me more.. I do enjoy my scooby.. it has been quite reliable.. has shy of 90K on it, in just three years.. 6-7 track days.. and going strong.. it does need some TLC but that has to be expected..
VR
Alex
Old July 29th 2005, 14:01

Since we are continuing on the Suby/Evo topic, has anyone seen the
TopGear episode where they tracked an Evo8 against a Lamborghini (sp?) Murciliago (sp?).

4 cyl turbo vs 12 cyl NA...... the Evo kept up with the Lambo all the way...
A truly amazing car.

Rob.
Old July 29th 2005, 14:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
TopGear episode where they tracked an Evo8 against a Lamborghini (sp?) Murciliago (sp?).
yep. that is actually what brought me back around to thinking about the Evo again. that was a great color and look. just have yet to test drive to be able to compare anything beyond looks and stats on paper.

Old July 29th 2005, 14:11

thanks for the info Loaf. dependability is a big factor. i have never own a model from either manufactorer, but generally view Subaru as a little more dependable...based on others who have owned them and Mitsu's. it would be a daily and i work in downtown Atlanta. i only hit about 1.5 miles of rough roads in that commute and plenty of interstate traffic. would probably look to do auto-crossing occastionally, but if i get track time, the bug will go with me more times than not. just met a guy that does about 6-7 private track days at Road Altanta as his friend is friends with Panoz (supposedly). hope to be out there soon.

sorry to highjack the thread a little. seemed mostly in the vein though. i do like the face lift to the front of the Scooby.

Old July 30th 2005, 15:20

Boble..

Had problems seeing the vids.. but did manage to see one about them racing/drifting.. there was a volvo, an old vete, pretty awesome..

Rob saw that one a while ago.. it was a MR FQ-430 or something.. pretty amazing machine.. no low end.. but watch out when that turbo spools up..

Zen,

I have had my eyes on a mitsu, actually was at a dealership getting ready to trade in my scooby.. last minute my wife asked me if I was going to start modifying this new car like the scooby.. if so see was against the purchase..I would be going from low 200/mn to 350+ a month... and parts were not going to be in my near future.. as it stands now.. I am pretty neck and neck with a stock evo.. as far as speed.. on the track yet to be determined.. Got some suspension goodies going in.. alum arms, group n suspension bushings, adj links for toe in the rear and a STI steering rack.. all this coupled with a good track alignment should make it a nice drivers race..
The other think I have been skeptical about is Mitsh service.. Lot of horror stories out there.. with waranty issues and cars being driving on tracks..
Lot of guys use them for straight line racing.. and personnally speaking not a good idea, specially on clutch and tranny.. There reliablity/safety had been questionalble.. as seen by there truck devision and the cover ups..
That being said
The Evo is not a standard mitsu.. I believe Ralliart has there hands in this one.. so I would expect better than usual reliablity.. but again I have do deal with the knuckleheads at the dealership..

Subaru, on the other hand has been much better to deal with at the service department.. still not to mod friendly.. but my car is not to crazy.. From experience it has been reliable.. I do drive it like I stole it at the track or at least I like to think that in my head..
The WRX drives well enough that my wife, enjoys it.. clutch is easy to work as well as shifts.. maybe not as crisp as an evo.. or sti- 6 speed.. but still good with the short shifter..
If you on tight budget, a WRX would be my recommendation.. specially with the alleged new TR model.. Track Ready or something.. 17" wheels, 4 pot fronts/w 2 pot rears.. couple of other little mods.. add a nice stage 2 exhaust and ECU reflash..with some R- Rubber.. spells fun for cheap..

If you have some extra money and don't plan on modding go STI.. and as cash opens up.. work the suspension a little..

If Money is no object.. go MR.. and call ralliart.. get some of there upgrades.. and have a blast at the track.. but be prepared to suffer on the streets.. Haven't driven thru atlanta in a while.. but the 05 STI has a key immobilizer, which may buy you a few seconds if some is trying to steal.. unless they come with some hydraulic fluid and a flat bed..

Alex
Old August 7th 2005, 17:11

From my driving impressions of all three (WRX, STi, and a non-MR Evo) I like the Subarus more. They feel more comfortable around town, they are great at the track in stock trim and a blast to drive with a bigger rear sway bar and better tires, and Subaru has a better reliability/service record than the Evo. The horror stories about the Evo owners getting their warrenties revoked for entering their cars in track days and auto crosses is just painfull too.

In my area (Sierra Nevada moutains) Subarus are very popular and they make up the majority of the cars out at our local auto crosses. This all may be bias coming from a Subaru owner but I'm just telling it how it is (or how I see it ).
Old August 7th 2005, 22:52

Lib,

What kind of scooby do you drive.. curious?

I agree with all your coments.. Also seeing it thru the scooby glasses.. but I also have heard the same stories about EVO warranties..

I did the swaybars and that made a big difference at the track.. to the point that I had to loosen the rear before I hit Watkins.. I was a little afraid

I wonder if anyone else sports a scooby here?

Got some tasteful mods coming.. will post pics when she is done..
Alex
Old August 7th 2005, 23:07

I drive a 00 2.5 RS. The guys I race with all drive Subarus too- www.seccs.org
Old August 17th 2005, 21:49

well i test drove a Evo and a STI. the STI got it hands down for me. just didn't like the feel of the Evo nearly as much. then found a nice deal on a R32. hard decision, but wanted something slightly different (for me) and just wanted the gut wrenching power...got me an '05 STI last weekend. they are getting an '06 this week, but just didn't care for the looks nearly as much as the '05. got the one-year only grey as well. pretty cool color.

thanks for all of the advice. the car is an absolute beast and a thrill to drive...and that is all under 5,000 RPM for now.

Old August 17th 2005, 22:12
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob

4 cyl turbo vs 12 cyl NA...... the Evo kept up with the Lambo all the way...
A truly amazing car.

Rob.
I watched that part of the show ... loved it. Towards the end of the segment, they drag raced the EVO vs , I think it was a 1.0l car of some sort, but the race was from a rolling start in 5th gear and at 1000 rpm. The distance was all the way down the airport strip they use and the 1.0L car reached the end of the strip first ... truely hilarious

Sandeep
Old August 17th 2005, 23:12

I remember that episode.. LOL.. LAG... but what a monster when it was under boost..

Congrats on the STI.. Suffering from P-Envy.. your bigger than mine.. turbo that is..

I haven't driven the 05.. but I know it handles different than the 04 due the front diff..

Break her in easy.. so that you don't blow oil later..

I will be looking for one.. but I need to get thru the baby thing..

The thing that kills me is for 32K.. give or take, there are other cars out there.. such as M3, 911 (older ones), S4, and others.. so its tough to make up my mind.. I may even hold out till 07 when the new chasis comes..
07 is the year of the car... STI, EVO, Skyline, to name a few.. choices get harder..

For now I just got my STI hood scoop, and Need to get my STI wing painted so that it can go on.. A man can dream, right.. almost STI..

I am heading back to Watkins Glenn at the end of the month with Audi..I hope there are more STI, and EVO's.. because I haven't been to impressed with the STI yet.. Love it, but its not blowing the doors off my scooby.. which is a good for that P-envy.. Can't wait till I run some 8" R compounds next year.. For now I gotta stay focused, and keep up on the driving.. something tells me that when I run into a equal or better driver, it may be different, but for now we are running strong..

PS Post some pics..
Alex
Old October 3rd 2005, 16:56

Poor Petter!!!! Did anyone see WRC Rally Japan? He was doing SOOO awesome then BAM! hits this big 'ol rock that shattered the wheel AND the brake rotor!!! He can't catch a break. But the STI looked VERY fast, especially compared to the Citroen.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S