GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old March 6th 2008, 15:53

Cool!

Speaking of Audis, I recently added one to the stable...

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old March 6th 2008, 17:27

Oh, perdy Audi. There was one like that for sale here in Michigan with the same wheels and color.

Don't take life seriously because you can't come out of it alive" --Warren Miller
Old March 25th 2008, 15:58

Those BBSs look great Jeff!!! That's your Mini too? Those things track very well, throw some R compounds on there and they are hard to catch. Is that the 180hp or 225hp TT?

The dynoing is done, apparently I've got about 165 at the wheels, so about 190 is what he is telling me, but tons of torque, so that's sounds very good for now. He took longer than expected, so I wasn't able to pick up her up last Friday, will have to pick her up this Friday after work. It's 2.5 hours each way, so that's not really a weekday thing. If I can get her sooner I will.

I'll get a printout from the dyno results that I'll post here, but apparently it runs VERY well, and the compression tests told them the stated 15k miles on the motor was probably correct.

On a sad note, doing one of my pre-dyno trip shakedowns, I took a curb at the wrong angle and totally tweaked my radiator, it's not leaking, but it crushed one of the fans on the back side and it will definately need to be redone down the road. I might go a little wider if I can fit it, with more HP in the future I'll need more cooling.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old March 25th 2008, 19:24

That's the wifes mini. Has ridiculous torque just off throttle and goes like stink... but the ride! The ride is the absolute worst bone-jarring thing I've ever ridden in. She wanted one forever and absolutely loves that thing! BTW, you can double the base price with add-ons .

It's a 225hp. Bone stock except for the 19" wheels. I don't have a lot of mod plans, chip, exhaust, airbox.

I went to the dyno day down in GA. 165 would have put you well above quite a few "built" type 1s.

How big of a rad can you fit? I've got a leftover.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old March 26th 2008, 11:27

Ah, that's why they go so well, race suspension!!!

The TT looks awesome, rear sway bars help a lot in those too.

I can't wait to drive it back up here. The reliability is what I love, apparently it's tuned so I can't do any damage to it!!!

Then new radiator will be the same general shape as the one I have now, I still don't want to cut into the body under the hood, but thank you for the offer. I might have one made that is wider than the one I have now, but the same height.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old March 29th 2008, 13:54

Picked her up last night, of course it was the first time in weeks that it rained, so that sucked.

Scary is the world I'd use for it. Not just the power, but the rear suspension too. There is a LOT of torque, I was in second, hit the gas and I was spinning, back end sliding sideways. It was wet, but but I can't even do that in my M3! So tons of torque and power. The engine is sitting right behind me, so even with earplugs in, that turbo was really working. I was going over 100 easily, but it cruised really nicely at 85. At the faster speeds it was scary, the rear suspension is REALLY not working well. I'm going to look at putting some spacers under the steering rack back there to maybe give me some toe in bump over what I'm sure is toe-out bump right now. That's what is scary, you hit a bump in a corner and the whole rear end feels like it shifts sideways. The redline is 7200 rpm, and I didn't even get close to that at 100, so I don't know how fact it goes on the top end. Javad the tuner said he noticed some clutch slippage, but I have to say all I notice was wheel slippage.

The shifter works great, until it doesn't work well. I can't explain it, but it shifts great most of the time, then rarely its a struggle to get in gear. Don't know what's going on with that.

Temp was a steady 85 degrees, even with just the 2 fans running. They had set the thermostat for 80, so first the first leg of my trip the fans came on and stayed on, kinda worried me. The ECU was in demo mode too, and I didn't realize it, so I couldn't figure out why the temps were running 95 and the RPMs were staying constant!!!

I'm going to lay low for awhile now, between the 3 hours of tuning, 1 hour of testing and cleanup, and new coils and firmware for the ECU, it was over $1k, so I need to fill my piggybank up again!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old March 29th 2008, 15:22

Exelent to hear your car it's running, I hope you can solve the rear suspension problem.

Do you try with Suspension Analizer software? you have 10 day's trial and for my car it's very helpful. You can calculate the position and length of the arms for best numbers for toe in.

http://www.performancetrends.com/SuspAnzr.htm
Old March 30th 2008, 11:18

Sorry for the OT! I'm in the middle of buying a Mini Cooper S as my new daily, great to have the TLC inclusive servicing for 5 years, hopefully now I'll be able to concentrate on the bug and not get so distracted by kit car daily drivers!
Rich
Old April 12th 2008, 05:25

Hi Jason,

Great project!
It's great to see such an amount of dedication and time put into a car!
Hope you can get all the little kinks worked out soon!

Concerning your rear suspension issues:
Is it only the toe-out on bump that is causing the issues?
Mounting the steering rack a little higher (so the tie-rods point down) might help a little.

Is the virtual hinge-line between the front and rear mounts of the lower A-arm parallel to the car?

What kind of struts do you use in the rear?
Are they actually front struts?
Aren't you running out of droop travel?

Simon
Old April 13th 2008, 22:54

Hi Simon,

Quote:
Originally Posted by $aint View Post
Concerning your rear suspension issues:
Is it only the toe-out on bump that is causing the issues?
Mounting the steering rack a little higher (so the tie-rods point down) might help a little.

I'm not totally sure, I have it set for 1/16 toe in static, and I would doubt I'd have such a twitchy rear end if I didn't. Havn't pulled the springs and run it through total travel yet, but I'll bet you money I've got toe change problems. I actually looked at mounting the rack higher, but I ran into a bunch of little issues, one is that the bolts are too short for the rack and are embedded into the K-member. Another is my steering lockout would have to be refabricated. I think its the wrong geometry entirely so I'm not going to waste my time on it. I'll just redesign it properly and not worry about trying to make a no-win situation better.

Is the virtual hinge-line between the front and rear mounts of the lower A-arm parallel to the car?

No, the fronts are on there own, parallel to each other, but the rears are backwards, the 'hinge-line' axis' intersect in FRONT of the car (/\) , while they should be intersecting at a point somewhere beyond the REAR (\/) as far as I know. I don't know exactly what converging pivot axis' do, but I know mine is the opposite of what I see everywhere. I was aware of this little fact before I started, but I wanted to get the thing running before I modified too many things at once.

What kind of struts do you use in the rear?

KW Variant III

Are they actually front struts?

Yes

Aren't you running out of droop travel?

I might be. I might have to move the strut plate down a bit to get more droop. Just didn't want to have too little bump travel when I was getting it all together. I wanted to make sure I could run it low enough.
If things work out well, I'm hoping to use the front control arm mount as the rear mount, and create a new front mount directly in front of the rear wheels. I might be able to use the alloy casting off the end of a 944 torsion housing, it has a solid rubber mount with a intergral core of aluminum. I might be able to bolt this onto the end of the torsion housing, thread the core, screw in a heim, then attach a custom built arm that connects to a second arm running from the K-member to the lower ball joint of the strut. Essentially a large A-arm with the pivots creating a V towards the back of the car, then adjust the tie-rod length and pivot points accordingly, maybe even swap the struts side to side if it is an advantage for toe changes during travel. I don't have the expertise to do this myself, I wish I did, but I'm planning on using the services of Joe Huffaker to guide me.

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old April 13th 2008, 22:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugovw1976 View Post
Exelent to hear your car it's running, I hope you can solve the rear suspension problem.

Do you try with Suspension Analizer software? you have 10 day's trial and for my car it's very helpful. You can calculate the position and length of the arms for best numbers for toe in.

http://www.performancetrends.com/SuspAnzr.htm
Hi Hugo! Glad to see you are making progress on your ride too!

I think that program might be very helpful, I just don't trust my ability to see the big picture. While that program might tell you it will work, I think more knowledge will give me better results. I should probably trust myself more on these things, but I have very high goals for the way my car will handle when I'm done, and I want to do everything I can to make sure the road from here to there is as short and as straight as possible. I just wish the toll wasn't so expensive!!!

Keep us updated on your progress!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old April 21st 2008, 21:33

A friend and I had a little fun last night. He has an '07 Suby STi with total intake and exhaust mods and chip retuning. We did some drag racing, rolling starts, and freeway speed runs. Surprisingly, we were neck and neck! He slowed after we pass 90mph, where I'm sure he would be faster, but in everything else he could not leave me. I left him quickly at 90 and I'm guessing I hit at least 110. The whole reason we got on the freeway is to see how fast I was, but he doesn't like breakin' the law! What surprised me the most was breaking the tires loose after shifting into second. I didnt drop the clutch, already in second, and just the power broke the tires loose! Just goes to show what light weight and power can do...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old April 21st 2008, 22:18

Power goooood!

Corruption on the way!
Old May 6th 2008, 17:13

Took a trip over to Huffaker Engineering at Infineon yesterday. Joe Jr. is an amazing guy, I'm looking forward to working with him. He didn't have time to get into specifics, just put the car on the lift and scratched his head a bit and agreed with my diagnosis of off-kilter rear geometry and he agreed that the sensation I feel is probably bump toe-out. To keep me busy he helped me diagnose my brake bias issues, so I've ordered a 1-1/8 in MC to replace the 7/8 rear MC so I decrease the rear brake bias and also increase pedal travel. I'm going to take a picture of the 944T torsion beam cover and send it to him, it may play a usefull roll in the rear suspension redu, but I may end up with a full double-wishbone rear suspension! Motor is still running strong, but I think I hear a little detonation in 5th under full throttle, so I'm not too happy about that, and cold running is still an issue. Some ECU adjustments should take care of those issues.

On my trip I had an "event". The frame horn sits about 2" off the ground, too low, but thats where the springs settled to. It's fine with me in it, but my wife wanted to go too, so it was a little lower. We took the scenic route, big mistake. The road was rough and annoying, but the rear problem developed when I find myself staring down a dead possum in the middle of the road. I don't mean fresh dead either, but not squished low enough to fit under the car... Bam, then the smell of rotting flesh, nasty. The smell subsided replaced with the sweet smell of antifreeze.... After surviving the first hit, the radiator couldn't handle this hit and started to leak. Fortunately I can look in the back seat and see the coolant expansion tank, and I could watch it slowly drain. Got to a gas station, filled it up, and was able to get back home. By the time I arrived, it had somehow stopped leaking, and is still sealed!!! I think the orange antifreeze I have must have some sealing properties...

Still no dyno sheet...

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Old June 16th 2008, 02:45

I've actually hit the radiator again since the last time, and again it's sealed itself, but I've lifted the car 1/2" and I think I'm going to have to have a slightly shorter rad made and a steel cage to protect it.

It was running a little hot for awhile, just couldn't seem to cool down, fans ran a lot, then I realized I had been bleeding the air from the front off the system wrong. I had been doing it while the car was running and under pressure, but it just mixed the air around. All I had to do is open the bleed valve after the car had set for awhile-gravity did the work and pushed the air out. Haven't had trouble since, but I'm waiting for a hot California day to really feel good about it.

On the bittersweet front, I got a ticket yesterday in her, 86 in a 65, so while I didn't like the ticket, getting one at a speed slower than I had been going makes me proud to have done it in my bug!!! BTW, the freeway was clear, I saw the car from a mile away, just didn't think it was a CHP!!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run