GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old February 15th 2016, 22:16

Nice work! How do you like that 3 in 1 metal working tool? I have been thinking about buying one.
Old February 16th 2016, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72marinablue View Post
Nice work! How do you like that 3 in 1 metal working tool? I have been thinking about buying one.
It's been a good machine overall. When I was shopping I searched "Made in the USA" and "3 in 1" or something like that and Baileigh's website popped up. The made in the USA was referring to other, more expensive stuff they make.

Anyhoo, this unit is made in China and sold under a dozen other brand names like Jet, Bolton, Central Machinery, etc. but it's pretty much identical.

Enough of that though.

The slip roller I don't use much because I don't need to but it does work well. A can of brake cleaner will take the yellow shipping goo off that they coat on these machines. Fuel pump baffle box for an older Nissan I made out of 22ga. aluminum:

The press brake is pretty good although just eyeballing it you can see the lower edge of the dies don't line up exactly. Left to right they're OK, but the dies are just a hair uneven. I tried adjusting them but not much changed. If I was really ambitious I could grind down the higher spots, but nothing I've bent so far requires that sort of precision. It will do bends up to and a little more than 90 degrees.

The shearing action is great on this machine. I've really been impressed how well it works. You can do razor thin cuts and there's no deflection of the piece. 16 gauge is the absolute limit you can cut and I welded the machine to the work table because you have to pretty much stand on it to get it to shear metal that thick.

The plastic handles and set screw on the side are pretty cheap, but nothing has broken yet.
Old February 17th 2016, 02:45

Sweet! Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. Sure would be nice to shear sheet metal instead of having to cut it with my band saw.
Old February 17th 2016, 16:38

Yeah, I know what you mean. I do a lot thinner metals and I hate how hand shears distort the piece along the edge. I was able to do most of this weird piece on the machine. Weird angles to weld at and a shot of the piece in place before I grind the welds down smooth.

I really like straight lines, bends, and cuts when I can do them. A glove box delete panel I made for my truck.

Last edited by Jadewombat; February 17th 2016 at 19:11.
Old March 2nd 2016, 22:08

Doing a lot of grinding and sanding prep. in the inside cab. area getting ready to paint it. Some water was collecting under the drivers' seat and made some surface rust.

I also bought an old used South Bend lathe today so I can make (among other things) some spike center caps for the CLK rims.

Old March 15th 2016, 09:21

Not much to update, but I keep finding out how deep the rabbit hole goes. I was finding pinholes here and here that I went back and plug welded them and then uncovered a lot of weak metal spots on the underside of the cab I'll have to get back to later after I get the right paint to coat the inside of the frame.

Did a test fit of a shelf yesterday for setting beer on at car shows, etc. The bigger one mounted here I bought maybe 4-5 years ago because I liked the steampunk feel to it. I don't plan on making the interior of the bus completely steampunk, just a few things here and there. So fast forward about a month ago, and I bought the two smaller shelves in a secondhand store here in Houston. They match! I'll mount those in the back on either side of the bench seat.

I'm cutting my teeth learning the new (to me) lathe. I started by cleaning up the centering piece on the tail stock. I then cut down the round rod for the spike center caps into a more manageable piece to work with.

Old March 15th 2016, 21:00

Turning the center caps is a lot of time, but pretty fun and I'm learning quite a bit about machining. It's 3" aluminum round rod and the rims are of course metric, but easy enough to work with. I need to hollow out the area facing the tailstock here, then test fit on the rim hub before turning it down to a pointy section.

Old March 18th 2016, 21:49

Hollowing out the inside of the cap takes a long time. I'm using a 2 1/8" (54mm) forstener bit which I know wasn't made for cutting aluminum, but I don't really care. It works and would take almost infinitely longer if I tried to just hog out the center with the carbide cutter.

Pulled the cap off and checked it for fit on the rim. Looking good and the dog approves. Just have to remove a little more to clear the axle nut, then open up the inside bore 1mm to clear the front rotor dust caps.

Old March 18th 2016, 21:58

Nice! Im jealous of your south bend. They are great little machines. I am lucky enough to have access to a small lathe at work but I sure would like what you have for home use. Enjoy!
Old March 19th 2016, 14:33

Thanks Man, I'm glad a 53 year-old lathe can produce stuff like this that fits so well with an amateur machinist like myself. It fits on the rear good, just need to open it up some for the front hubs then cut it down to a pointy section.

Old March 22nd 2016, 15:13

I got one center cap done and it looks great on the bus. It took me just short of 10 hours labor here and there, but now that I have the measurements and a feel for the machine making the other 3 caps should go a lot quicker.

It weighs 0.7lb (or about 330 grams). I just need to drill and tap the holes for three allen screws to secure the cap to the inside of the rim hub.

Old March 22nd 2016, 22:25

Caps looking great man!

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old March 23rd 2016, 13:43

Thanks!

5mm blind allen screws drilled and tapped to hold it inside the hub.

Old March 31st 2016, 20:31

Got some paint laid down today in the cab area. The picture doesn't do it justice. It's a very even coat, but the lighting and camera are crap. Just need to wetsand and clear coat it.

Old April 4th 2016, 17:47

I fabbed up an ashtray and radio delete. Again, some PO cut a bigger hole in the dash to accommodate their Pep Boys radio blasting through some cheap 6 by 9s I'm sure. The ashtray was decorated by the hippy chick and not going back in. Even if I cleaned it up, I don't smoke and one of the clips is busted on it. It's easier to just make a smooth panel the same size than trying to fix it.

Got everything wetsanded and ready to put some clear coat on it.