GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Brakes

Old July 5th 2009, 03:34

Hi

I have Toyota Hi Lux for work, these utes/pickups front discs and rear drums and it appears that they only have 2 channel ABS.

I'm not sure but I imagine that there would be a speed sensor on the rear axle as well.

Ive often wondered if this more simple system would be an easier retro fit to a ACVW.

I can see the arguments for and against ABS, but if your having a blond moment and just jump on the brakes the ABS could save your bacon.

Steve
Old July 5th 2009, 10:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C View Post
Hi

I have Toyota Hi Lux for work, these utes/pickups front discs and rear drums and it appears that they only have 2 channel ABS.

I'm not sure but I imagine that there would be a speed sensor on the rear axle as well.

Ive often wondered if this more simple system would be an easier retro fit to a ACVW.

I can see the arguments for and against ABS, but if your having a blond moment and just jump on the brakes the ABS could save your bacon.

Steve

A lot of the older trucks (and even some not so older ones - as in my 2002 Dodge Dakota) are just using whats called RWAL abs (rear wheel anti lock) . These systems have a sensor on the rear axle and compare it to the speed of the vehicle . Its meant to prevent rear wheel lock-up from the light rear end of a truck . I found over the years working on them that they are marginal at best .
Old July 5th 2009, 18:55

Hi

This Toyota has proper looking ABS system, just not as many tubes. It sure seems effective when its been activated as a test by me.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Toyota ABS.jpg (78.7 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Toyota ABS.1.jpg (81.1 KB, 16 views)
Old July 5th 2009, 22:12

In your pics , I see at least 5 brake lines , and there is most likely 6 . This makes it a 4WAL system (4 Wheel Anti Lock) . This a much better system , and I wish my Dakota had this .
Old July 5th 2009, 23:46

Hi

I also have a Toyota Prado, it has wheel ABS, its not here at the moment but it has many more brakes lines.

There 5 lines on the unit. The front circuit feeds into the unit straight from the MC, the rear circuit also feeds into the unit via T piece.

It has 3 output lines, 2 go to the front brakes, 1 goes to the rear along with the line from the MC that has been Teed.

Steve
Old July 6th 2009, 06:19

Whilst abs is a desireable feature, here in the UK it can be a pain especially on older vehicles. If fitted it has to work, the warning light sequence is monitored for the annual vehicle test and it is a fail if the light doesn't light when it should or stay on when it shouldn't. If abs is not fitted then it can't be tested and so can't fail on that. Replacement abs parts can be horrifically expensive, in many cases easily more than the vehicle is worth. If the abs fails on any of my vehicles I will remove it in its entirety. On a cost/benefit analysis for me it doesn't stack up.

Clive
Old July 6th 2009, 11:41
vwdevotee

Hmm... I'm a little shocked that during your MOT test the inspector would even look into stuff that was not originally fitted. I suppose one option would be to use something like a 951 system that is self contained and just not hook up the warning lamp. Then theere is no lamp to fail inspection. Besides, I've never understood the virtue of having the ABS lamp come on when you brake hard enough activate the system anyway. If that's the case you're probably not looking at the dashboard, and you can feel the system working anyway.
Old July 6th 2009, 12:30

I suppose that you can understand the beaurocracy in so far as if they don't implement a 'if fitted it must work' principle then the MOT inspectors would be open to huge debates as to whether a particular model was fitted with this or that originally and then there would be arguments as to whether it was fitted in particular markets and then imported etc etc etc....................................It wouldn't be just abs, it would be any modification. The principle does mean that I can delete stuff thats too expensive to fix (within reason). A £3000 abs pump on a vehicle thats only worth £1000 is dumb. yet it might be perfect in all other respects and be a completely safe vehicle to use without the electronic gubbins.