GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old August 31st 2003, 00:03

Sharpbuilt shroud machining

Hi,

I recently purchased a used sharpbuilt shroud and had some questions regarding fitting the unit. What I got was a 911 11-blade fan, a sharbuilt shroud, a base plate, sealing tin, and fan strap. However, I did not get any instructions. I was wondering if anyone had a copy that they could scan and send to me? If not, if someone knows how much to machine the breather tower? How to attach the baseplate? I have 4 bolt holes in the plate but when I look into the breather tower theres nothing to bolt them to - something I'm missing? What size pulleys do I need to use?

Thanks for the help
fast70
Old August 31st 2003, 03:53

Sharpbuilt mods

You will need to have 41mm machined from the breather tower in order to fit up the kit.Bolt and torque both case halves together and get a machine shop to mill off the tower.I used the rear flange of the case(where it mounts to gearbox)as a 90 degree reference point.When the kit was sold it would have had an aluminium base plate supplied that needs to be welded inside what is left of the breather tower.From memory a 5" aluminium crankshaft pulley also came in my kit.I will try and find the fitting instructions and email to you.This weld in base plate is very important because you need to drill and tap into it for the studs to attach the strap that holds down the fan ring(on the dip stick side)Are you having trouble contacting Mike with email? If so,let me know and I can phone him to see if any thing is wrong-I remember a couple of months ago when talking to him,his Internet provider was causing him some grief.
Old August 31st 2003, 04:01

Sharpbuilt

Just reread your post-I'm a bit slow today-your kit is a used one-thats why there is no base plate-it would still be inside a crankcase somewhere-and the pulley would still be in use.You need Mikes help big time.Same deal-if you have no joy-email me and I will phone him.
Old August 31st 2003, 04:33

i have been having trouble getting hold of mike via e-mail. I assume then his mails are not getting through?

project in progress
Old August 31st 2003, 13:21

I offer the machining for the Sharpebuilt kit. I have a fixture made just for it. There is also welding that needs to be completed and other machining to the saddle that the alternator housing is strapped to. To do it right is time consuming.
Old August 31st 2003, 17:44

There are 4 bolt holes in the base plate and I was wondering if I had to weld something into the breather tower for the base plate to bolt to. Also, I got some sealing tin which was not on the sharpbuilt website as being part of the kit. Whats with that?

If anyone has a copy of the instructions they could scan and send me it would be really helpful.

Thanks,
fast70
Old September 1st 2003, 10:54

I have 2 files that we have put together that show what needs to be done. Drop me an email.

The advertisement says to remove 41mm (1.614") from the top of the case....We have found thats too much!

The welding is a pain in the neck, and so is the machining if you do not have a fixture. Getting it totally flat and totally square with the rest of the case is imperative.
Old September 2nd 2003, 06:21

Jake,why did you find that 41mm was too much? I did mine as per the instructions and all went well,but the fan ring rubbed hard on the engine cover(original '56 with a W lid)-I have since changed the rear panel to one from a fuel injected late Beetle and used a '76 engine cover with the 4 vents. I think the extra vents are good for more air into the engine bay and it gave me more room for the exhaust system. Do you have any problems with the fan ring clearing the engine cover?
Old September 2nd 2003, 16:41

Nvere had one rub the engine lid yet....The problem is finding a fan belt that will fit correctly....I take 38mm off and no more. But every case is different. So I started measuring from the crank main bore upward. makes for consistant measurements every time.
Old October 24th 2003, 15:07

I took a lot of pictures of the machining that I did to my case for ths sharpbuilt shroud. You can check them out here...

I must say it does look mighty nice...

http://www.britainsmith.com/Porsche/...otor/index.htm

-Britain

www.britainsmith.com
Old October 24th 2003, 16:08

Can I touch it?