GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old November 11th 2003, 12:38

Just came back from my 1st Road Course Race

Just wanted to share my first experience racing.. (Defensive Driving)..
Attended a one day event held by SCDA at Lime Rock, CT..

All I could say is WOW... Never in my wildest dream did I think it would be so much fun, exciting and worth while..

I made a promise to myself to not race on the streets, and that i would one day save up to do it at the right place.. and man.. was it awesome.. Unfortunately, I did not race a bug.. my vert is still under construction.. moving slowly but moving.. (darn weather in NE) I took my other flat four (WRX), stock except some better pads and DOT 4 fluid.. and what a ride..

They provided 3, 1/2 hour class sessions and 4 race sessions (about 1/2 hour also) for about 200.00 and let me say again was it worth it..

I mopping around the house tell my wife that I need to trade that car in for an STI version of it.. but after the instructor drove my car with me shot gun.. I love my scooby.. I tried to repeat what he did and being a race virgin I obviously could not..
But that was ok because I realized that untapped potential of my current car.. realized that power does not mean anything unless your car can handle it (suspension) or stop (brakes)... there were much slower cars that ride like rails around the corners and while I could momentarily get away on the straights they would reel me in, in the corners..

Greatest 200 bucks I have spent.. I am hooked and will continue in the 04 season to modify the scooby, to gain better experience, continue to build my GL vert, and keep it off the streets..

Interesting note.. There plenty of women, who race, are spouses.. and all I could say to that is awesome.. Plan on letting my wife drive a day at SCDA so that she can sharpen her skill also.. To everyone who has a young teen that what to prevent street racing, take them out for a day at the track, they won't won't want to race on the streets... Especially if you only go straight.. Man.. those turns sometimes Suck..

Enjoy..
ALex

Happy Veterans Day to all..
Specially the Devil Dogs..