GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Vendor announcements > Vdub Engineering

Old March 18th 2008, 00:03

My RANT!

March 18, 2008

I’ve been catching a little slack lately. Mainly it’s been around some of my products that are apparently a ‘copy’ of the German ones. These thoughts have been brewing for some time, so I figured this is as good a time as any to purge my ideas on the subject…

I have NEVER, copied any product out there. All my designs and manufacturing work is unique. My method is simple; the three C’s; Calipers, Calculator and CAD. I have measured, built, messed-up, re-measured, rebuilt, buggered-up, rebuilt, tested and marketed all my own products. It takes time and money to do it this way. I do admit, that it would be a whole lot easier to just buy something, reverse-engineer it and be on my way. I can’t do it though. If I put my name on it, then I have to have a credible and legitimate reason to do that. Making a product in the manufacturing game is the easy part. The design, prototyping and testing is where the most amount of time goes, and essentially this is lost money because it is very hard to recoup these efforts.

I will admit that conceptually my products may be similar to others on the market. I can’t help that fact. It’s the right product that fits the application. It’s a free market. I don’t see consumers raging over the fact that the Ford cars look a lot similar to the GM’s. I have put products out there that are unique, and a couple months later another company will be marketing the same. I do not get upset about this because if they can develop their products independently then overall this is more development in the dub industry and is better for all. If they can offer the product for less money than me then I applaud their efforts and application of lean manufacturing. The concept may be the same, but the developement is unique.

Now, on the flip side of this coin; I have sold some of my products to guys who have blatantly copied them for resale. To be honest it doesn’t bother as much as it used to. I can’t do anything about it, so I’ll let karma deal with the bottom-dwellers. Maybe one day these guys will ‘man-up’ and learn how to use some calipers and figure out some stuff on their own.

I know a lot of the ‘hating’ about my products is usually based on price. My products are not cheap, I never claimed it to be. But then again, my parts are dreamt-up, designed, built, manufactured and tested in North America ,North of the 49th . I’m not going to get into a heated disrotation regarding the shift of global economics, but I’m sure you can understand where I’m going here. My new mantra these days is “VW prices for VW parts, Porsche prices for Porsche parts”. After all, we all know that Porsche parts are made from that rare (yet super strong) element called expensium.

There are a heap of guys out there who continue to support me. I have to take my hat off to you guys. You guys endorse me and my products when you have no reason to. These are the kind of guys that support me, financially and mentally. Those around me may know that I was ready to pack it up about a year ago. I had enough at the time. This (vdubengineering) is a part time thing for me. It was getting stressful at the time running around like a chicken-head. I am an engineer in the ‘day job’ and put in my 44-50 hrs a week there. I did not set out to make a dollar on brake conversions and suspension parts. I set out to make parts for myself. Along the way word got out and guys approached me to do some work for them. That’s how it grew, and my passion is VW’s regardless of whether I’m making parts for resale or not. I love when guys bounce crazy ideas off me, I roll with it. Like Russell with his Cayenne S setup. That made me laugh out-loud when he first called me about it. “This guy wants to do WHAT?” But he insisted and I made it happen. So, to all the guys who support VdubEngineering, I really appreciate it. Without you guys to keep me motivated I’d probably be designing lowering springs for Hondas or an even worse fate . To the haters, keep hating and keep sending your dollars to far away places…

I don’t mean to be defensive, but I take pride in what I do. Empty accusations are one of my pet-peeves, so I can get a little passionate about this….

Peace,

Lanner Khan
(lanner@vdubengineering.com)
Old March 18th 2008, 01:03

Hi

I hope you feel better now.

The performance VW world would be much poorer if it weren't for people like you that can dream and they create something out of a lump of metal, our cars would be much less technically advanced. It didn't occur to me that I needed thicker tie rods until I read about them on your site.

I've only bought one thing from you so far, some 944 handbrake adaptors, they were dispatched quickly and fitted without fuss. I plan to buy more soon, just need the credit card to cool down a bit, the AU$ to C$ & US$ is very good at the moment, it was .52 to 1.00 a few years ago, its now above .90 US$.

I'm personally leading a VW parts led recovery of the North American economy.

Steve
Old March 18th 2008, 09:16

I hate to quote my thug mayor in his recent re-election campaign but it fits this topic. When asked about allegations of wrong doing, he replied "You gotta shake dem hate-ahs off!"

We are very lucky to have craftsman out there who take their spare time, passion and skill, and apply it to the VW world. There ain't no profit in fooling with this one-off stuff. I'm surprised Lanner hasn't gotten fed-up long before now. PLEASE DON'T QUIT! Stick it out as long as you can, scale back when you have to. Don't let someone with no talent, no skill (other than flappin' their man pleaser) run you off. Your friends and customers KNOW you have integrity.

Jeff-
VKG Bastage child
Old March 18th 2008, 09:45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic View Post
Your friends and customers KNOW you have integrity.
Jeff-
Right On ....

Lanner has made parts for me that do not exist and has made life pretty easy when converting my gearbox from a stock beetle to 901 and now to a 915.

I give Lanner an idea on a peice of paper with some rough dimensions and he returns a part that fits like it was originally meant to be there.

I've still got some ideas in mind that do not exist (I can't seem to find an existing solution) so I'll be knocking on his door soon

Sandeep
Old March 18th 2008, 10:18

I bought my kafer brace from Lanner because I wanted a high quality part, I wanted a part that I knew was actually engineered, and I knew that my money was going to a fellow Canadian (and North American). Not to mention knowing its someone you can trust. When these requirements are met price has little bearing on whether I buy it or not.

Mike
Old March 18th 2008, 18:38

Thanks all. And I DO feel better after my mind dump.

Well, off to the shop to copy more parts....

Lanner
Old March 18th 2008, 20:39

It's good to "rant" sometimes Lanner. You are very easy to work with, and go out of your way to help customers. Some people take advantage of the "helpful".

I have all the "toys" to make anything I need (you've seen a pic of one), but sometimes don't have the time to figure out all the details to make what I need in a given time frame. After searching around, most roads led to Vdub Engineering. I had no problems paying for your services (in the future also) knowing the time and effort it takes to get to a finished proven part. (your prices are more than reasonable)

Look forward to new projects you can help with (remember the T2 SC )

Danny

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old March 18th 2008, 20:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panelfantastic View Post
Your friends and customers KNOW you have integrity.
I second that!

Catching a little slack from who? I have never heard anything negative about your products or buisness, so i guess people are calling you up with this negativety?

Your a standup guy, always looking to help others. If it wasn't for you, i would have sold all my aircooled stuff back when i blew the 2332 in the super. I really enjoyed this past summer's cruises, meets, and shows. It's been many years since i last "drove" and really enjoyed my super.

Helping me out with the broken wheel stud on the holiday weekend last year, really meant alot. Your willingness to answer the stupidest of questions i have when i call is awesome. Even that brake swap we talked about last night?

I got your link to the CN Tower climb your doing again, and will sponsor you. I'm actually thinking of doing it too! Have 1 month to train. More than double the steps i did at the Eiffel tower last summer.

I always try to give my buisness to local vendors. They have always treated me right.

Good to hear your not hanging up your tools.

Pete

Last edited by petevw; March 18th 2008 at 20:52.
Old March 18th 2008, 21:41

Dan, thanks bro. I've seen your toys, and I still have a little green in my eyes. My bus is going to get the suspension/brake upgrade I was talking about earlier with you. So all the existing goodies are up for grabs... special discount for a repeat customer...

Pete, the climb is easy. Let's do it. It's only 1776 steps, eazy breazy. I'm looking forward to this summer, the GL-coalition is growing bigger and bigger. Carbo has the 944 setup on his car, as does Larry (the T setup on his oval). Nelson upgraded from NA to T over the winter. My super is getting the Boxster treatement [pending disk brake spindles ] at all 4 corners, and the Bus is getting the T's, so you gotta set YOUR super up right and keep up with the joneses! It'd be crazy to see a good dozen GL's at the shows this year! Ypsilanti is first in line, so get ready boys.....
Old March 19th 2008, 21:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat View Post
Dan, thanks bro. I've seen your toys, and I still have a little green in my eyes. My bus is going to get the suspension/brake upgrade I was talking about earlier with you. So all the existing goodies are up for grabs... special discount for a repeat customer...
.... I wish I could get the T2 goodies right now, but T1 first. My 915 is getting the $$$$ "goodies" $$$$ right now anyway. (man that hurts the wallet!) Not sure which brakes on the T2 really. (Porsche of course) Thanks.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old March 20th 2008, 09:07

werd

For Yipsi can bring the 911 rolling on some new wheels or the 141 snail sporting new suspension/interior, clkwrk will be in drydock, still 2/3 aint bad

Bry

Last edited by CLKWRK; March 20th 2008 at 09:18.
Old March 23rd 2008, 08:47

Lanner this is Michael from Jamaica. I bought some stuff from lanner a long time ago, haven't used them as yet because i am carefully doing my car but i must say to all that his work is great i have no problem with him and he is really helpful. Lanner if you even pack it in one day and only do work for friends put me on you list of friends.

Michael.

P.S By the way we will be needing another of your 5 bar braces here in the island ( jamaica ).
Old March 24th 2008, 20:10

This is Denny in Homosassa Florida. Two years ago you did the machine and conversion work for the 944 Turbo hubs and spindles for my 1970 standard bug. The work that you did was flawless and I can't thank you enough for doing such an excellent job. The quality of the machine work is world class...period.

I've logged more than 12,000 miles on the car since the upgrade and the 944 conversion is awesome to say the least. The stopping power is jaw dropping!

Don't allow a few dim witted individuals to lead you away you from your passion. This hobby (passion) that we VW freaks indulge in would surely suffer if your talents were not available.

Keep up the excellent work and don't allow anyone to change your course.
Old March 27th 2008, 17:20

You'll only be getting praise from me!!! I have an amazing set of one-off hubs and caliper adapters that took trial and error that I'm sure nobody else would go through. I've been consistantly amazed at your ability to get the phone, ship quickly, and make parts that have never been done before. Where most people would say forget it, you've got the strength to keep going, and I would not have the confidence I have in my own project without the knowledge that you've got me covered on my brakes!

With pride,

Jason Ford, D.D.S.
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old March 27th 2008, 18:20

Hey Lanner,

You've helped me great as well, even though you were out of parts
Here's what I made with your help:

Don't forget about the caster adjustable top strut mount if you have a spare moment

Best regards,
Walter