GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old January 18th 2004, 03:36

Just a little something to think about.

If you get a chance to watch the movie, The Last Samaurai, watch cause it's a very good movie. I'm going to do my best to make my point without ruining the movie for you all. In the late 1800's Japan was concentrating all their resources to modernize their country via industrial revolution. In so doing they frogot about their past, their history and what had gotten them where they were.
Now think back to the last 6 years, think about how VWoA has said they can't waste time on the past cause they are concetrating on the future, how VWoA is ashamed of their marque the VW Beetle, think about how VWoA has sued/fined VW aftermarket companies for copyright infringement, how VW dealerships don't service our beloved a/c'd VW's. Look at how other car manufacture's are proud of their vintage vehicle's and are proud that they are still on the road representing the quaility of their products. I just hope VWoA opens their eyes and stops all this nonsense before it's too late.
Thanks for letting me babble.

Nick
Old January 18th 2004, 13:12

Maybe VW is starting to pay attention. The Beetle, albeit an R/C toy, appears on a commercial for the Phaeton. Ironic? Maybe. But, (a) that was the hallmark of VW advertising in their air-cooled hey-day and (b) even though the Phaeton is a bit different at US$85,000, it is the cheapest 12-cylinder production car ... and by thousands.

Still, it's a nod to the past.

I have a friend who is still locked into American muscle. He can't just stroll into a Ford dealership to have his 1971 351-Cleveland-driven Mustang worked on. (He has an AMX, too, but that's a different kettle of fish.)

Protection of trademark and copyright is a very important issue. Ford wants to start a super car production of a car which resembles the famous GT-40. They have to call it the GT because they lapsed in protection of that trademark. Even toy manufacturers like Mattel or any slot car companies have to get permission to actually use a brand name. Sometimes there is a nominal fee attached. Sometimes not. (Aurora never got permission to use Ferrari.)

I wonder if aftermarketers ever asked for permission. Logic would dictate probably not. I don't think the answer would have been yes, then they get hounded anyway; I don't think the answer would have been no, only to have the aftermarketers disregard it.

If VW knowingly let's anyone slide on this, they must by law allow all to use. If this lapse continues, it becomes available to anyone who wants to register it.
Old January 18th 2004, 18:35
Administrator

Both comments are very true. But VWOA did cross the line and cut off the Air-cooled crowd. But VWAG did not take the same path. I have heard that VWAG has told VWOA to cut down on the lawyers and worry about selling cars.
As far as old American muscle cars go, you can get far more parts and much better support from the their corp. network than we can from VWOA. I can't go the VW and get a crate engine/trans for my bug or bus but I can get one for my old Ford truck. I can get lots of stuff for the old truck from the dealer.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe