GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 9th 2003, 18:29
danny5880pr

Question 1978 vw bus wheel size ,offset and clearance. Can anyone give them to me and......

i am planning to get some new rims for my vw bus with 185R14 tires and 5 lugs(original wheels). i want to know the measurements for the wheels,the offset and the nut space for it. i really don't know how or what are they. I want to add some 14" or 15" mag wheels,maybe EMPI or FUCH style . Can anyone give me this information . Another question,where i can get disk brakes for the rear and front or at least the front ones but updated to better braking power.Lowering the front to ,so any help will be appreciatred;danny
Old February 10th 2003, 15:58

For wheels check out www.vanagon.com / .org (cannot remember which). They show you how to put Mercedes rims on.

If I had a bay I would be all over that conversion.

As for the rear discs... I have not seen anything for a late bay.
'96 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 6.5L Diesel
'99 GMC Suburban 6.5L Diesel
VolkSport Kafer Gruppe
Old February 10th 2003, 17:23
danny5880pr

Thumbs up thanks i will;Danny

if i get the right wheels i will let you know and if i get the disc breaks for the front i will post here so everyone can get the information. Thanks;danny
Old February 11th 2003, 08:51

your '78 van doesnt have front discs?!?! my '76 panelvan has, and as far as im aware, all baywindows since 1971 have left the factory with discs up front.

for the rear ive only ever seen porsche disc conversions used with a matching front conversion too..

for rims, the stock stud pattern is 5x112 which is the same as mercedes, audi, some recent vw's and some fords. so there are many options. I'm leaning towards some TT rims for mine... or alternatively, with porsche pattern adapters some of the higher offset porsche cup rims will fit nicely.
Old February 13th 2003, 08:04

Smile Bus rear discs.

Hi Danny,I ran into this group in Australia.WWW.cbbvw.com. They do a total kit.Adrian has a good link for wheels.We both like Porsche "phones".Keep me posted, I'm heading your way soon.