GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 14th 2004, 14:01

Best Struts For 1302 Super

hey all, I am new to this forum, although I have been around Motorworks for almost 4-5 years. What is the best type of struts to use on a
German look project Super Beetle. I have a 1972 Super 1302. Is there anyting better than the MaXX struts Topline sells? I want to drop the front but dont have alot of $$$$. Thanks for any help--Tim
Old April 14th 2004, 17:34
Superman

The only thing better than MaXX would be Kerscher's full on coil-over (sold in Germany), but they are also twice the cost of Topline's strut.

It really all depends on what brakes, wheels, and tires you want to run and the type of driving you will be doing? There are several options, answer that question and we'll go from there.
Old April 15th 2004, 16:56

I would like to run Porsche Cookie Cutters, but I might have to hold off on those for a while so I can get enough $$$ for them, Brakes and tires, Im not sure, prolly whatever you guys tell me I should get, Im very lenient, but dont have alot of green.

I usually drive about 60 miles per day, from school and back, and that doesnt count hanging out with friends, or doing parts runs Thats about all I can say right now.

What about the Adjust-a-Struts? I dont know, kinda new to the suspension thing.
Old April 15th 2004, 17:20
Administrator

Topline sells a tapered spring that with the adjust-a-strut will give you more clearance. You will have to hit their website and get the measurements and do the math.
I am running the MaxxStrut and they have been great so far.
http://www.toplineparts.com/
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old April 15th 2004, 18:08

If you're going to run a 15x6" cookie cutter in front, then you should be fine with sport+ springs from Topline and a 195-series tire on the wheel. 15x7 has the wrong offset for the front and you'll poke out of the fender.

Sport+ springs are tapered for more clearence. MaXX struts are narrow diameter springs on an adjust-a-strut style body. I have them and LOVE them. They allow for a lot of clearence, but since you're going to run a 15x6" wheel, you don't need them, unless you know you're going to upgrade to a larger setup later on. Adjust-a-struts, regardless of the spring, allow you to lower your car in 1/2 inch increments (I think). THe spring itself gives you a bit of lowering also.

BTW, do you have the wheels yet? I have a pair of 15x6 cookies that I've been looking to get rid of. If interested, PM me.

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old April 15th 2004, 20:23

Actually Im getting 2 inch wider fiberglass fenders from a guy on SBOForums. I am pretty sure they are front fenders, but then Im going to have to get a little wider rear fenders so the car doesnt look un-preportional.

Last edited by Timmy_Barns; April 15th 2004 at 20:28.