GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old February 1st 2003, 12:35

944 brake parts list for 71 super?

Hi. I recall a couple of years ago on one of the old 'Germanlook' sites, someone had posted a parts list of what would be required to adapt 944 brakes on an early Super Beetle (71- early 73?).
I don't think the site exists any more. I had printed all of that info but can't find it any more...
Can any one post or email me a list of parts needed for this conversion? I don't think that it would be too difficult to locate these parts in Southern California(Los Angeles). Basically I would like to do the most 'staight forward' conversion as possible. I plan on doing the conversion on all four corners if possible.
At this time I'm using the basic Adjustable strut from Topline, along with Karman Ghia brakes, and I'm also running the strut brace. BTW, I have a set of US made 911 replica rims(15x6) that I could run. But I'm leaning towards getting a set of the 'Phone dial' rims.
Any help towards this project which is in it's planning stages is greatly appreciated.
I'll keep on looking for info though.

Take care,

Eddie.
Old February 1st 2003, 13:39

Hi. Well, looking in my Hot VW's/VWTrends box I found my literature with all the info that I requested!!. Too bad I only printed it, instead of saving it to a disc. I'm not that good with PC's...
This is info that I printed on 1/6/02. The info was off of the old germanlook.com site. By the looks of all of this info, the hard part of the conversion would be the ball joint adaptation. It talks about making a sleeve to adapt the 1303 ball joint to the 944 spindle. It says to use a piece of metal that has an OD of 17mm and an ID of 15mm; slide it over the ball joint and trim it for fixing the bolt to fit. It also talks about using a bump steer kit. Who makes those(cost $$ ??).

I guess I won't need lowering struts if the spindles off of the 944 lower the car 1" for the get go. My car is only lowered 1 1/2".

Can the new maxx struts be used in the modification?? I know that tire fitment under the fenders will be a problem. Can anyone suggest tire sizes if I were to use 911 replicas (15x6)/Phone dials??

Thanks.

Eddie.
Old February 1st 2003, 16:04

I have a 1302 also & I am also doing the research for a Porsche Brake conversion.

There are three ways that I have heard to do it...

1. adapt 1303 lower control arms with 944 spindles using Kerscher BallJoints (No need to make anything custom)

2. using your 1302 drum spindles with porsche 944 brake hubs (this way involves some machining of the 944 hubs)

3. using 1302 disk brake spindles, machining the rotor surface off of a Super Disc Rotor to use as a hub, then drilling the rotor for 5 x 130. Then you would be able to bolt up your Porsche rotor to your new VW hub.

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old February 1st 2003, 16:06
Superman

That was me that wrote the list, which is from my SuperBeetles Only! website. Somehow it got lost from the old to new Germanlook site when I transferred ownership over to Alex.

Anyhoot, an update to the list is to use Kerscher ball joints and not this "ghetto" sleeve. Do a search here, STF, and SBO! forums because there is plenty of info listed on this item.

Depending on the offset of the wheel you may not need the MaXX strut with a 6" width wheel. You may like the 195/50R15 for a low profile look or a 195/60R15 to fill in the fender.
Old February 1st 2003, 16:16
Superman

Eddie, here is that list; however, like I said it does need to be updated...

www.superbeetlesonly.com/suspension/bremsenkraft/overview.html
Old February 2nd 2003, 05:41

Thanks for the responses guys. Joe, I like the first method that you described. It seems pretty straight forward. In that method, do I still need late model strut assemblies(post 73 1/2)?

Supe, thanks for the info. I was lucky I found those pages earlier today. BTW, how can I get the Kerscher ball joints. What do they cost approximately shipped to California??.

Thanks again,

Eddie.

www.germandreams.com
http://pages.sbcglobal.net/eduardobrown/index.html
Old February 2nd 2003, 07:29
Superman

All those answers can be found in this post here:

www.superbeetlesonly.com/cgi-bin/iB3/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=16;t=103
Old February 2nd 2003, 08:08

Yes, you need the 1303 strut assembly, the 1303 lower control arms, the 1303 sway bar, the Kerscher ball joints, the 944 spindles & of course the 944 brake assembly.

I wish I would have gone this route, but when I purchased my Maxx Struts, John at Topline recommended I stay with the early strut assembly because he favors it over the later assembly because of its strength.

Old February 6th 2003, 15:12

944 turbo brakes.('86)

OK!

So let me see if I got this right.

FIRST: parts needed for the 944 TURBO conversion: (not counting the 944 TURBO parts and 1303 suspension parts)

1: ('83-'85) early 944 spindles(or can the LATE SPINDLES -19mm ball joint, different strut to spindle bolt pattern - be modified in any way to fit??)

2: 17mm ball joint by Kerscher.(can the 15mm beelte ball joint be modified to fit in any way? with a spacer...)

3: The Ebrake adaptation(using beelte and 944T parts).

4: What about the brake lines? the master cylinder? what must I use, beetle or porsche parts?

SECOND: from what I understand, the 944T rear is bolt ON right, no modifications/extra parts from early model needed?(aluminum arms, larger CV joints, the torsion bar plate along with the spring plate, rotors/calipers, sway bar, etc)

And another matter, if I use the 944T rear sway bar(18mm ?), don't I suppose to change the 1303 front sway bar to something bigger?or can it work like this?

THANKS!!!

PS:I hope this time will be some light in my head, shoping day is coming soon
'61 1200

Last edited by Martice; February 6th 2003 at 15:17.
Old February 6th 2003, 16:43

Question

What's the bump steer kit ?
'61 1200
Old February 7th 2003, 09:26

Hi Martice,

I think the 86' 944T suspension/brake parts are the best for the supers conversion because it's got the advantage of early 944 (better fit a beetle), narrow ally rear arms and of course 4-pot calipers and big rotors.

According to Michael Ghia's webpage, the 944 spindles can be modified to fit the VW 15mm ball joints. I personally think that it is better to use Kerscher 17mm ball joints as it is less hassle and safer.

Bump steer kit allows you to insert the tie rod end from below of the steering rather than from the top. The kit consists of a pair of bushes with taper inside to match the tie-rod ends. You need to drill out the old taper from the steering arms and press the new bushes in from below. Then you can install the tie-rod ends from below. It seems that not many people market this product these days. I saw it in the catalogue of German Car Company (UK) few years ago.

Take a look at Kerscher website for the E-brake adaptors

http://www.kerscher-tuning.de/cgi-bi...04298583129069

You better change to a stiffer front sway bar to reduce oversteer if you use the 944T rear sway bar.

Tim
Old February 7th 2003, 10:28

Thanks Tim!

I am clear now

tomorrow I am going to buy(at least I hope so) the 944T suspension and brakes and some nice 16" wheels.
Whish me luck!

:haveadrin

best regards,
'61 1200
Old February 7th 2003, 11:52

Martice, let me know how you make out. I have a 1302 also.

Old February 8th 2003, 05:37

Unhappy ...

Damn..I hate when this happens...He doesen't know what he is selling

He told me that the car is '86 944 Turbo...The engine is not turbo, we do not know exatlly the year, how can I tell?

What can I tell is the rear arms are not ally, but some rusted steel.
he only has 3 wheels so that's no good either.

He has vented disks front and rear, the rear disks are little rusted and so are the calipers. the front looks better.There seems that the rotors are not very used...

So, how can I tell what year the car is?

Also he told me to make an offer, how much do you guys belive this brakes worth?...huh..

Thanks for any suggestions...
'61 1200
Old February 8th 2003, 10:51

If it's got rear steel control arms, it must be a pre-'85 944 NA.

The front is basically the same as that of '86 944T except it's got single-piston calipers and smaller rotors (early style hub).

For the rear, if you don't mind to have single-piston brakes (actually more than enough for a street Beetle), you can just take the 944 rear bearing covers/caliper mounts, brake calipers, e-brake units, hubs and rotors. They are just bolted on to your existing VW control arms/sub axles. You still need the e-brake adaptors though.

What wheels it's got, 15" Fuchs, Cookie Cutters?

Tim