GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 13th 2020, 11:11

Suspension considerations

Hi all,

My last topic was about Imohr suspension parts. For the future I am looking for some rear suspension modifications/updates.

And as far I have searched, found, drooled and lost my way in what is possible, I want some opinions/tipps and tricks from you.

I have a 1303 from february 1973. The engine and gearbox are standard, but will be changed to an AT (1303S) gearbox with an type 1 engine with around 1800cc, w110 cam, 2 twin 36 IDF webers and so on. So not very heavy or mega strong.

The front suspension are Kerscher coilovers and the rest of the suspension bushings come from Topline, incl casterfix, camber+ bolts and all steering rods new.

The back is old, the bushings are shot and the springplate covers are rusted out.

So time for something new.

What options do I have seen.

1. Rebuild the standard

2. Rebuild the standard but with uprated springplate covers http://www.german-performance-parts....id=611&lang=EN

3. Rebuild with the springplates from option 2, but with height adjustable springplates

4. Rebuild with the springplates from option 2, but the springplates with no preload on the torsion bars (or without torsion bars). And coilovers (Kerscher, Imohr, others?) in stead of the normal shock absorbers.

5. Go wild and do an Uniball conversion (Imohr, MBT, Kerscher, other)

6. Other options?

The bug will be a nice weather car for the months without a 'R' in the name and just for touring, not racing.

Option 3, 4, and 5 came in mind, because of the possibillity for height adjustment without messing around with the torsion bars and the splines etc.

What will be the best option? Then I know what I have to discuss with my wife
Old May 13th 2020, 18:55
Administrator

I did the whole coilover conversion with the rally bug, and honestly...I wouldn't do it again. Since you can't get progressive springs in the short length we need, there isn't much advantage.. The ability to swap out spring rates, and adjust the height simply aren't worth the loss of the simplicity of the torsion bars. Truthfully once the height is "set", most people never change it. I have _good_ reason for changing it, and still if I'm going to go do a gravel event I leave it at the set height unless I know the roads will be really rough. My new build (the GL '69) uses stock torsion bars, urethane bushings, stock spring plates and covers and *might* get upgraded shocks. If I do anything, I'll upgrade to the QA1 DD402 shocks. I use the DS402 shock in the rally bug, and would do the dual adjustable shock on this next build simply for the adjustability. I never upgraded to the dual adjustable on the Rally bug because the single adjustable shocks work, and work well.
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap

Last edited by owdlvr; June 3rd 2020 at 01:35.
Old May 18th 2020, 05:21

Clear answer. I want to play with the height a bit to see what i think looks best for me and what is drivable with all those annoying speed bumps here in the neighbourhood. So some adjustability would be nice.

And off course, some parts are just nice to have
Old May 19th 2020, 14:35

Cheap and pretty good would be new or good second hand covers with normal black PU bushings also from Topline as you (and I) have good experience with those and use 23,5 or 25mm torsion bars with some Bilstein gas shocks ;-)
Old August 26th 2020, 07:57

Hello gents,

I am seriously considering option 4. Rebuild with the uprated springplates covers from GWD/German Performance Parts, inside black PU bushings from Topline (for more stability as advised on the site of GWD), springplates installed with no preload on the torsion bars. And coilovers, still no clue what brand etc.
Current shocks are Billstein, which are as smooth as bicycle pump......Extended lenght 420mm, collapsed length 265mm.
So I am guessing the coil overs will be 14" or 15" extended and 10.125" or 11.125" collapsed, with 8" of 10" springs. But at what spring rate? 300lb/inch?

Last edited by wouter1303; August 27th 2020 at 04:10.
Old September 1st 2020, 14:44
Administrator

If you're going to add coilovers in that manner, you still need to brace and support the shock towers. So, at that point...why carry all the weight of the Torsion bars (which are now doing nothing) around?

My coilover conversion, without Torsion bars, is running 550lb springs.
'68 Type 1 - Interm German 'look' project
'75 Type 1 - Family Heirloom
'93 Chevy 3500 pickup - Cummins Swap
Old September 7th 2020, 02:34

The brace will be there the 3 point from CSP or the 5 point from Mendeola (but i read mixed feelings about the company)
The torsion bars will be mounted for better stability of the springplate covers, as i have read.
But then again I haven't seen it would make a difference.

Is the 550lb because of an heavy engine in the back?

Difficult matter to find out by myself....
Old September 7th 2020, 15:35

I'am running 550 as well ;-)
Old September 8th 2020, 02:43

yeah, but because of the type 4 with turbo, intercooler, porsche gearbox and all the other nice enhanchments you carry in the back of the Mythbuster
Mine will be with a type 1 (1700-1900cc somewhere, still no clue what to build woth the parts I have) with AT gearbox.

Or is it really needed? Then I will add 550lb springs to the wish list.