GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old May 6th 2007, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwdevotee View Post
Since the roll resistance is all controlled by the front tires and sway bar, doesn't that put a huge strain on the outer front tire? Doesn't a ZRS car push bad in the corners?
You'd think it would. I don't know anything about the dynamics of driving a ZRS equipped car, only the concept of how it works and intent. Apparently it works very well since it's been used for over 20 years in Formula Vee. The modern version also uses a different trailing arm (leading arm?) axle positioner that minimizes toe changes in bump/rebound.
Old May 6th 2007, 12:01
vwdevotee

I've noticed though that a lot of archaic technologies are still used in racing series, but they are typically there because of some rule. I would say that, while the ZRS setup might keep the tires at a constant angle to the ground, since Porsche abandoned it very early on for the sake of performance, there are much better geometries.
Old May 6th 2007, 18:20

Quote:
I've noticed though that a lot of archaic technologies are still used in racing series, but they are typically there because of some rule. I would say that, while the ZRS setup might keep the tires at a constant angle to the ground, since Porsche abandoned it very early on for the sake of performance, there are much better geometries.
Agreed! The unequal length A-arm suspension rules - it's a winning design and all the highest level performance cars utilize it (when they could do anything they want, with virtually unlimited budgets!). Only the computer controlled "active" suspension of the F1 cars from the 90's (was it the 90's?) surpasses the tried and true classis a-arm coil-over design - and it was still a version of the A-arm layout. But dealing with the classic VW Beetle, you're somewhat limited by what advancements you can employ. Utilizing applicable Porsche components seems to the "ultimate" at this point. Unless you want to totally re-engineer the chassis.... Pretty much exactly what I'm doing with my Deserter buggy.
Old May 6th 2007, 19:21
vwdevotee

What are you doing to your Desserter? I've read a lot of stuff on here that jas people designing their own a arm suspensions. I figure that if they are ambisous enough,than more power to them.
Old May 6th 2007, 20:15

Quote:
What are you doing to your Desserter? I've read a lot of stuff on here that jas people designing their own a arm suspensions. I figure that if they are ambisous enough,than more power to them.
Exactly that - out with the classic swingaxle rear and trailing arm front - in with a custom 5-link rear and A-arm front. It's been a looooong journey! But I'm having a ball - and never-ending challenges.
Old May 6th 2007, 23:48
vwdevotee

I'm a firm believer that if something were easy, it wouldn't be cool. If your project is half as hard as I'm thinking, it is going to be the coolest project ever.
Old May 8th 2007, 06:25

Lol, u guys are funny. Strange but funny, keep it up.
Old May 10th 2007, 08:31

G-Force...you seem to have a ..ahh... very loose grip on the reality of VW handling
'76 fuel injected Cabriolet
..and a good ol' Aussie V8