GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old March 20th 2018, 15:31

Don't call it a come back...

I've been busy for the last couple years but still working on germanlook projects, if only in a consulting role.

I raced through 2014 in the bug, treating the rest of the year as development.

In 2015, I borrowed a friends Porsche Cayman S to compete with, and championed that year. In the mean time I swapped out the engine/trans for subaru sti 2.5L turbo and 5sp.

I was diagnosed with early onset Amyloidosis, and an ECG showed protein buildup in my heart, which will eventually lead to cardiomyopathy or stiffening of the heart muscle. I was 36 at the time. I moved to San Francisco proper and sold all my beetles, tow rig, and traded in my sporty 135i daily for a minivan, something more practical.

2016 and 2017 I focused on my health. I had high blood pressure, was over weight, and really needed to turn that around. It started with walks, then longer walks, then a little gym time then daily gym routine, then a solid diet plan and daily gym routine. I lost 40lbs, and greatly improved my health but my soul was wilting without the thrill of racing or even spirited driving.

In 2016 I ordered a Heritage Blue Ultima Evolution, and built it in 4 months with the help of some friends from August to December 2017. Since photobucket **** the bed, I decided to do a build vlog on youtube and rebranded my channel. I also put together an Instagram account which is more up-to-date. The Ultima has better than twice the power to weigh of the race bug, but the bug was an excellent set of training wheels to prepare for such a beast.

https://www.youtube.com/drivedriverdriven
https://www.instagram.com/DriveDriverDriven/

I still miss my beetles. My GSR resurfaced in Seattle last I saw, but to my knowledge, the race bug hasn't appeared in public since I sold it.
Old March 20th 2018, 16:13

Wow! Glad to see you still around. With the abrupt nature of how you sold Lucy, i figured it must have been some bad health news. Great to hear you've improved your lot with all the hard work. It's a shame you had to let go of the Beetles, but what's the point of toys if you have ill health. I was particularly fond of your GSR. Perhaps you'll get it back some day...wasn't it already on your second ownership of the same car?

Keep up the good work Will. Hope to see you owning a Beetle again soon.
Old March 20th 2018, 17:25

Great to read from you again!
What a story! Tnx for the honesty, much appreciated!
Wow to an Ultima! Like your choice mucho. Keep up the fitness and healthy living as much as you can.
Hopefully there will be room for a bug one of these days huh?
Old March 25th 2018, 18:55

Thanks for letting us know whats happening, I hope your health continues to improve.

I'm 63, last year I had some chest pain after fast walking and needed 3 stents, 2 x 75% blockages and 1 x 95% blockage. I'm still doing lots of walking and some free weights at home but it now looks like might need a hip replacement.

We are all getting older but my bug keeps me feeling young, I hope your new project has the same effect
Old March 27th 2018, 15:34

Started watching your videos Humble, always liked the Ultima!

Am I right in remembering you had degenerative sight issues when you started this car? Also I thought you had sold your bug to Todd Triebler or was that another similar one?
Old April 3rd 2020, 14:36

Can the pictures of Time Attack Beetle seen somewhere?

Still very much interested..
Old September 22nd 2020, 12:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Alex- View Post
Can the pictures of Time Attack Beetle seen somewhere?

Still very much interested..
I would send @Humble and email as he is doing other cars now -

DriveDriverDriven@gmail.com