GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old April 27th 2003, 19:48

Engine turning over issues

Ok, so i finally got my 2 litre into my bus, WOOH WHOOO!!!! ok any how got everything hooked up and pretty looking put in a battery got in the car tryed starting it, starter just clicked, figured battery was dead so i pulled the one out of my toyota that runs, used that battery still just clicks, now i am curious if either my batterys are crap or if my starter is, i noticed that among all the clicking and me cursing that the degree pulley turned a good 90 degrees after a while, i keep thinking that my starter is dead and i am wondering if i should just buy a brand new hi torque one that will turn the engine over even if it does stick at TDC for some really odd reason (if any one can suggest why it sticks there it would be greatly appreciated if they could help me) any suggestions on this dellima?? thanks allot
Old April 29th 2003, 11:15

Can you turn the engine over by hand, all the way around for at least 2 revolutions? If so I would think about the starter, if not, time to pull the engine back out and find out what is hitting what inside.
ken
Old April 29th 2003, 13:50

I can turn it all the way over but at both TDC's it is fairly hard to get it passes 0 degrees, it seems to stick really bad, but with enough force it will pass and continue to turn over like normal (this is all by hand)
Old April 30th 2003, 10:41

It sounds like nothing is hitting, just high compression pressure (hard to trouble shoot on the internet). Was the engine rebuilt? If so what is the compression ratio?
ken
Old April 30th 2003, 11:04

No rebuiild, engine is a pick an pull special out of a carBQ and it has compression so my hopes are that it is still good, after thinkin about it an talkin to my friend, im thinkin it is just gummed up on that one part and that after my oil gets to it and after i get a good battery in there, i think she will be happy and turn over better
Old May 1st 2003, 14:42

Wink Ive had this

I had a semilar problem with my typ1 engine, I just put some oil down the cyliders just to be sure, then I worked it in and now it rotates freely, I would either guess that or its just compression holding you back wich is a good thing, try to work up momentum wihile doing that and see if it keeps turning, if halts and you try to crank it but the belt slips or it just simply will not go then you gotta pull that engine out. Good luck and hope this helps
Old May 1st 2003, 22:07

I think now that i got some oil soaking in it that it will crank reall nice like, i will know on friday when i buy a battery. thanks for the advice guys
Old May 4th 2003, 23:19

Update to engine issues

Ok, I took the engine BACK out of my bus and disconected the flywheel, i was easily able to turn the engine over with the belt, i put the fly wheel back on and torqued the 5 bolts to 50 lbs, by the way does any one know exactly what i should be torquing those bolts to?? With the flywheel on at 50lbs the engine would not turn over by hand aqnd my stock starter would not turn it over either, now I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what could be causing this. Does any one know, any one else ever experience this. If i put 2 bolts on the fly wheel and have them very loose its easy to turn over as well. HELP!?!?! thanks allot