GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old April 17th 2004, 20:13

man this is frustrating!

i've had my bug for 3 years now and all i've done is got new floor pans and installed them,bought 17's, and bought a t4 and taken it apart, i just wanna finish this thing it has aken forever and is still nowhere near done, and now my parents are makin me pay for everything!
-= 76 cadillac seville (me & dad's) =-
-= 2002 toyota sequoia (brother's) =-
-= 99 ford explorer =-
-= 2005 Cayenne S =-
Old April 17th 2004, 22:13

Yeah... i feel so sorry for you (ok not really...)
I got my 74 super when i was 13 years old (yes 13) in a trade for some Porsche fuchs that my dad had on his early 911.
Anyways, I am now 18 and have spent 5 years on this project, although i didnt get going much till i was 15. this is when we moved to a new home that has a great shop/garage room so i could then accualy work on the car inside.

So far i have the beetle striped, i have done most of the eletrical (rewired the WHOLE thing, all custom), tore down the engine (engine build in the works now), i am in the works on the brakes (early 944 units) as we speak. welded new floor pan section, fixing other rust areas... i have done other little things to like Porsche seats, and guages and a carbonfiber dash (still not done), but im still not done with anything major.

This spring/summer i am going to try and finnish the engine, the suspention/ brakes and get it painted and drivable. then next winter or in the fall i will do the fine tuning and get the interior done. hopfully ready for next summers Auto-X season. I wanted to get it done this summer, but it never worked out with school, work and racing/training (I race cross country mountin bikes) thats also why im thinking it will run me all the way to next summer.

So yeah...I to SO SO SO SO want to get this beast on the road, i have only driven it ONCE when i was 13 around the block (dont tell my parents). kinda odd wouldent you think? Considering how little time i have driven VW's and i am still totaly nuts about them. i have only been in one other Aircooled VW aswell, this was a fully restored 74 standard with a 1776cc engine (well built, 90hp powerplant) and a little GL flair (has Porsche cup-2 wheels), its on the GL "general" gallery on the last page, its Porsche speed yellow.

Later
Jonathan
Old April 17th 2004, 22:18

Oh yeah.. i have payed for everything ecept the floor pan.

Yeah im not being very nice, but at least you can see your not the only one out there in on this boat.
Old April 18th 2004, 09:47

I think alot of us are in the same situation. My car has ben apart for about three years now and I haven't done much with it untill I was told about germanlook.com. In three years I had only managed to rebuild my front and rear suspension and buy a whole bunch of stuff that I didn't need. I had the floorpans and heater channels replaced by a local shop along with 23 hours of strucural repair to the body. Since November I installed late aluminum 944 trailing arms, rebuilt my non-turbo calipers, re-re-built my front beam, had front disc brakes made to accept 944 components, stripped and painted my entire chassis in POR-15 wet sanding between coats, welded in a kafer cup brace, started bodywork on the front of the car. So as it stands right now I have a completed chassis and the body is still pretty much un-touched. I have now set the lofty goal of being completed with the car by November for the car show formorly known as Bugjam. Oh yea do yourself a favor when working on your car, keep a zip-lock bag(s) with you reciepts from your purchases to scare yourself at the end of the year.
www.volksport.net Volksport Kfer Gruppe
Old April 18th 2004, 13:30

Location: California (Southern for school, northern for summer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boygenius
Oh yea do yourself a favor when working on your car, keep a zip-lock bag(s) with you reciepts from your purchases to scare yourself at the end of the year.
And a separate one for little hardware pieces. That has been the worst part about getting mine back on the road (also 3 years). Well that and not being home to work on it. I finally got to drive it a few months ago but I vowed to not drive it another inch until I was completely done with it...how's that for motivation? Shooting for May, hoping for June, will settle for July
Old April 18th 2004, 14:23

yah, i also got mine when i was 13, it cost $230, had floor pans that were completely rusted through, i have never driven it
-= 76 cadillac seville (me & dad's) =-
-= 2002 toyota sequoia (brother's) =-
-= 99 ford explorer =-
-= 2005 Cayenne S =-