GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old October 9th 2006, 15:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73notch View Post
LT, if you are looking for an occasionally driven car like you said, I would recommend just going for a built type 1. Itll be simpler in the long run, and will still make u mess your pants.

Also, curious why are you going for the g50?

"Sti Scooby 280 bhp+ £2k ish", + a couple K for the conversion. Sti engines arent cheap.

-Ryan
A pro built 200 bhp type 1 motor with Porsche fan conversion and fuel injection is going to cost £6-7k.

I've seen several sti motors on UK ebay in the last few months all go for around the £2k mark.

To make a scooby / type one cost comparison fair, you'd need to compare to the cost of maybe an EJ20T or similar - many of these go for under £1k.

I like the idea of a Porsche box because of the 5 speed, and I also feel they would stand up to the duty cycle better tyhan a built type one?

I welcome any and all your feed back and comments?
Old November 2nd 2006, 18:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73notch View Post
KISS-"keep it simple stupid"
when doing a conversion like this, which is pretty involved, i would recommend getting the stock engine to work first. When u finally get over over 200 hp in ur bug, you can always upgrade later. Im sure youll be happy with the stock power, its not like a vw motor, it pulls hard though every gear. After doing the conversion, i doubt ill ever do a turbo upgrade, 200 hp is already plenty for a street car. 400hp almost seems ridiculous, but itll be fun if you can control it on the street.

-Ryan
After being involved in an EJ20T (Subaru WRX) transplant into a Type 3, '73 Notch's 'KISS' advice is teh best words of wisdom of this whole thread

Stock engine
stock turbo
stock management system (with wiring modified to suit VW) and DO NOT turn up the boost
Stock exhaust (as far as practical)

DO NOT allow yourself to be talked into/sold super-hottie turbos and aftermarket management systems and all the rice-racer ********e. It all increases cost and complexity for no real gain on the street. The factory 160kW (220hp) is more than enough to make you grin

Oh, and you better get to know a gearbox mechanic...
'76 fuel injected Cabriolet
..and a good ol' Aussie V8
Old November 2nd 2006, 19:39

Exactly, and whos to say you cant do all that down the line later?
The biggest problem ive ran into with projects is that i try to accomplish too much at one time and get stuck on details. You wont get anything done this way because theres always something that can be done at the same time and is holding you up from doing the next step.

-Ryan
Old January 31st 2007, 04:40

I have a question about my Subaru crank pully. I have my EDIS 36-1 tooth wheel on it. I believe the missing tooth goes on the TDC. I can't find the EDIS page right this second.

Where is TDC on a Subaru pully? I'm going to mount the sensor with adjustment, it won't have to be 100% perfect. I just need in the ball park.

I can't take any pics. My camera isn't working very well these days.

Thanks,
'64 Ghia - Project!!-Subaru EJ20T, MS/EDIS, 993 brakes, 914 Tranny...
Old January 31st 2007, 14:28

the old screwdriver down the sparkplug hole on #1 always works. Im pretty sure theres a notch in the pully that lines up with one of the degree marks on the plastic timing belt cover, do the sparkplug hole trick and see where it lines up.
Old March 1st 2007, 09:33

Mikey how's the gorilla coming around?
Old April 14th 2007, 14:05

I have a 2006 Subaru EJ25 SOHC non-turbo that I need the wiring between the engine and the ECU. The engine has it's main wiring out to the square junction on the engine. I just need between that and the ECU. Can you guys help? Any leads? Thanks!
JiI
Old April 14th 2007, 15:50

Teh Intarwebz is your friend:
http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com
http://www.nasioc.com
http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/

Also check the subaru-vanagon groups in groups.yahoo.

Good luck !

Rob.
Old June 22nd 2007, 07:22

Ha, checked out germanlook so many times but never thought of looking at the forum. Great to see all these suby conversions together. I'm working on a 1302 with 901 gearbox which will get an EJ20 with TD-05 turbo. It's an EJ20BUG engine so it was made to go in a bug I'm hoping to get something of 300hp and it'll be running on a megasquirt system. Well, the photo tells a lot at which point of the build i am now.... I'm waiting on my new gasketset en still not sure on which adapter set to use/buy. I'm thinking of putting the turbo on the front of the engine, somewhere close to the pulley (kind of where the type 1 has its muffler) I've seen it done on sandrails and also impreza's but can't oversee the pro's and con's. Any opinions about that kind of setup?

Old June 22nd 2007, 21:38

you will have a hard time with the decklid if you move the turbo there.
Old August 11th 2007, 01:19

What is the average cost of a full subaru conversion for the VW? Turbo and non-turbo. We're talking basic engine putting out about 200Hp. I'm curious.
Old April 8th 2008, 11:28

I think I'm just going to suck it up and get the ECM and wiring from outfront motorsports. Keep it simple. It's expensive but I want to get it in and use it without the headaches.
JiI
Old April 8th 2008, 18:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval View Post
After being involved in an EJ20T (Subaru WRX) transplant into a Type 3, '73 Notch's 'KISS' advice is teh best words of wisdom of this whole thread

Stock engine
stock turbo
stock management system (with wiring modified to suit VW) and DO NOT turn up the boost

DO NOT allow yourself to be talked into/sold super-hottie turbos and aftermarket management systems and all the rice-racer ********e. It all increases cost and complexity for no real gain on the street. The factory 160kW (220hp) is more than enough to make you grin

Hi

Very good advice. I'm going to try to run mine with the stock ECU but I'm not sure how it will react to a different exhaust and intercooler. An ECU upgrade will come down the track after the car is running.

Steve
Old April 8th 2008, 19:25

Advice from Experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oval View Post

Stock engine
stock turbo

That is excellent advice Glen. But are u able to tell me why the conversion u were involved with has had an aftermarket ecu now for over a year as the stock management system with wiring to suit the vw was uanble to work reliably?
I'm surprised the owner isn't bald from tearing his hair out.
Eventually the owner had an aftermarket ecu installed, tuned (240hp@ the wheels on only 13 pounds boost) & has been running since.
Incidently it's the same aftermarket ecu that I'm using http://www.microtech-efi.com/ mine was installed in October 2004, it spent a whole 2 hours on the dyno & hasn't been touched since. 89'000klms (55'300mls) later & it's still going. Daily driven & flogged on the track, over 200hp @ the wheels on only 8 pounds boost, 38+ mpg.
Did I just get lucky with an aftermarket ECU?

http://www.superbeetlesonly.com/foru...y&cmd=sc&cat=6
Old October 11th 2008, 00:57

hi everyone, has anyone used the rjes bellhousing or similar in a conversion? just curious what experiences people have had...if any?