GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Members Rides

Old August 10th 2006, 13:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep
Hi Walter,

I just watched the video ... very enjoyable :agree:

Can you describe what kind of speeds you obtained on the track ... how were your tires and brakes ?
Relatively low; I have a digital speedo which is very accurate; With the 2,4 I did about 175 km/h at the straight, but this year with the 2 liter we only reached 150 km/h max but it was with only on 3,5 cylinder....(hence the smoke...)
Funny thing is that from the video it seems not that fast, but when your inside, it sure is thrilling!
Quote:
How did the gearbox and engine perform ? I noticed a few puffs of smoke from the incar video ... any idea what that was ?
Very well, but the JE pistons were used when I build this engine and it turned out that the oil scraper (control) rings of at least one cylinder were too far gone. One cylinder consistantly had therefore a lot of oil blow-by and greased that one plug a lot. Only when the engine was hot, it ran flawlessly but I have removed the head on that side and it appeared that the exhaust valve had 2mm carbon build-up on it...
After changing out the oil control rings, the smoke has gone. Learned a lot from that experience!

The gearbox shifted mucho better without any grinding, but the shiftrod needs to be adjusted somewhat I noticed for more precise shifts in some gears.

Quote:
Looks like you had a lot of fun on the track. Is there anything you may consider changing in the overall setup of the car ?

Thanks,

Sandeep
It handled very well actually, but ultimately, I want to install a rear sway-bar (have one, but because of my wide semi-original 915 tranny-carrier, it doesn't fit ) and a slightly more lower setting in the rear.
And I may want to try the Kamaii front spoiler and some other small changes; not because handling is poor, but because I think it may get even better

Greets,
Walter
Old February 13th 2007, 17:47

We had great fun at the dyno last year:

Result were better than expected!
With 122 hp @ the wheels (about 15% loss from the 915 tranny equats to about 143 hp at the flywheel) for the mild 2056 cc (Webcam 86 and 1:8,2 CR!) I was more than happy. Tuning the DTA ECU with the laptop and dynobox was done by Blue Thunder (thnx Robin) in the back of the car with laptop on a bucket

On the way back from DasDragDay4 @ Bitburg, germany, the engine managed (pun intended) 38 mpg!
Old February 25th 2007, 07:23

I can't get the video to download
Old February 25th 2007, 08:45

http://video.google.nl/videoplay?doc...01176105663678
Old February 25th 2007, 15:56

Thank you aartjan
Old February 26th 2007, 12:29

Awesome vid
Old July 27th 2007, 19:18

Hi Walter
Just read your blast at EBI, a very nice timing slip.

Can I ask how your idle is, as I have a similar sized engine although type 1 with a DTA ecu. I noticed you don't run a ISV. Do you get differing idle rpm dependant on the engine temp.

thanks

Richard
http://65Volkswagen.info
Old July 28th 2007, 07:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Cabby View Post
Hi Walter
Just read your blast at EBI, a very nice timing slip.

Can I ask how your idle is, as I have a similar sized engine although type 1 with a DTA ecu. I noticed you don't run a ISV. Do you get differing idle rpm dependant on the engine temp.

thanks

Richard
http://65Volkswagen.info
Thanks! But since I filled out these forms, engine is now a bit 'uprated'
So I doubt you have a 2,7ltr Type 1 engine?
ISV is Idle stabilizer valve or something?
No, with individual Throttle bodies any idle control valve is not possible afaik.
As of last week, I have found the 'idle speed control' function in the DTA S-program and that really works! It keep my idle at the preset rpm with automatically adjusting the idle advance by the ecu. Also running sequential also improves idle mixture. My new S60 ecu is capable of this as well, whilst the former E48 was not.

With the E48 dta ecu however, the engine ran quite stable at idle as well. You just have got to keep fuel and advance even around idle rpm-range. With larger duration cams, its always more difficult to keep idle as stable as with milder cams. The 2056 had a mild cam and that helped also I suppose.

Cheers,
Walter

Edit: just read your site: Very cool car and extremely nicely detailed (I suck at that).
What did the dynoíng at John Maher say on hp and torque of your 2276? (what's your cam?)

Last edited by Wally; July 28th 2007 at 08:05.
Old July 28th 2007, 13:04

Thanks Walter

Mmmm yes you have been tinkering..No mine is a little short of 2.7

I didn't realise that you couldn't use a stabilisation valve with dual throttle bodies.
I think I cracked it today, I've been playing with the fuel and advance at zero throttle. My map is incremented 500,1000,1500 and it now purrs at 1100rpm. I'll know in the morning when everything is cold if I can stop playing as it has made it a little difficult to start. Or I should say before I didn't need to touch the throttle until it fired but now I have to give it a little.

Other than the idle I can't fault the dyno work, it pulls from zero throttle in any gear. I've just got back from a 600 mile trip so I know it goes well

I had read about the idle control of the S60, the E48 is a little old now.

The engine is 2276cc but with AirCooled.net Super Squishie pistons, they have a funny crown to the top of the piston. The cam is their's too and doesn't come with any details as to lift and duration. the strange thing is it only has 20deg total advance but that usual for a Squishie engine apparently. The map is therefore very flat unlike the fuel map.
On the dyno it peaks at 6500rpm at 163bhp, the torque already at 132lbft at 2000rpm and peaks at 4500rpm.
I've not had it on a rolling road yet to see what it looses from the box and my only run at the 1/4 I messed up the lights and let the guy get 3-4 car lenghts away before I realised it was green. that gave me a 15.39 so I know it's got lots more and is quick.

Richard
Old July 29th 2007, 04:40

Thanks for the info. Very nice stuff!
Your map at idle could use a little more closer spacing in rpm setting: I have re-set the rpm range to 750-1000-1250-1500-2000 etc

It makes idle tuning more accurate.
I guess the squishy cam makes sure the intake valve opens a little later so it just does not touch the dome on the squishy piston and just follows the piston going down (or something like that). Cool stuff!

Cheers,
Walter
Old August 2nd 2007, 21:48

Walter-Your car is an interesting read.I have a 2.7lt Type 4 in mine which I am in the middle of Injecting.What ECU is that you are using?Is the crank trigger wheel from another vehicle or custom made?My ECU uses a MAP sensor and is giving me heaps of agro because of the mild cam and dual 48mm Throttle Bodies.How many inputs does your ECU need to work?Keep up the good work.Regards Gary.
Old August 3rd 2007, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbturbo View Post
Walter-Your car is an interesting read.
Thanks! It was fun to build too!
Quote:
I have a 2.7lt Type 4 in mine which I am in the middle of Injecting. What ECU is that you are using?
Its from DTA, the S60 model. (www.dtafast.co.uk)
Quote:
Is the crank trigger wheel from another vehicle or custom made?
Its a 'custom' laser cut wheel which a friend made, which I bolted to the rear of an 'equaliser' steel poully (sp.?) then had it balanced. Here's a pic of it (if you can look closely..)

Quote:
My ECU uses a MAP sensor and is giving me heaps of agro because of the mild cam and dual 48mm Throttle Bodies.How many inputs does your ECU need to work?Keep up the good work.Regards Gary.
With individual Throttle Body's, I would forget trying with MAP as base load. Its just not designed for it. It may work for some-one, but I wouldn't bother...
How many inputs? Well, air temp, water (=oil) temp for cold starting, VR signal from crank and TPS for load. Thats about it, but that is true for most any ecu.There are some more pics on keversite.nl of just the engine (parts):
http://www.keversite.nl/fotoalbum/my_photos.php?id=3349

At the moment, she runs sequential (cam sensor is working)! and I did 10 liters to 100km at a steady 70 mph all the way from the way back from EBI where the heavy car ran a 13,82 sec on the 1/4 mile!
Old August 3rd 2007, 22:02

A good collection of pics there-thanks.Good idea with your muffler-never thought to bend it in the middle to clear the body-made mine as well and had to make it a lot shorter to keep body clearance.Yes I am using all those inputs as well-with a single wire O2 sensor and the MAP.Think I have got the MAP beat now-made a small alloy tube with 4 small inlets and a 6 mm outlet and fitted 4 small one way check valves to stop each port robbing the rest of vacuum.Idles good now with 12 to 13" Hg and I fitted slightly smaller injectors-from 20.4 Lbs/hr to 18.25 lbs/hr.You would have to be very pleased with that 1/4 mile time and good fuel consumption as well.Looks like a pretty good package to me-good all rounder.
Old August 4th 2007, 06:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbturbo View Post
Yes I am using all those inputs as well-with a single wire O2 sensor and the MAP.
I would really suggest installing a wide band 02 sensor. Tuning is everything, especially with our large engines. The LC-1 from Innovate is not that expensive and worth the cost. The cheapest hp you will gain by far imo.
Quote:
You would have to be very pleased with that 1/4 mile time and good fuel consumption as well.Looks like a pretty good package to me-good all rounder.
Indeed! Especially realising that the car with me in it without interior and tank half full weighs in at 2225 lbs! Allround performance is exactly what I am after: it does a decent time around our local track too
Old February 27th 2008, 17:24

Just realised Aart-Jan shot a 10 second video of a blast down the straight at Zandvoort last year with the 2,7 engine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bD4WRCN4cLE

Unfortunately Aart-Jan has held the camera 90 degree tilted and compares the sound of the engine with a Jet-ski??