GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old July 15th 2003, 11:24

VW Trends contributing editor

Maybe this is only news to me, but I found the following signature on a post at the VWVortex site:

- - - - -
Wayne Dean
Contributing Editor-VW Trends Magazine
http://www.allaircooled.com
http://www.superbeetles.com

Want your Beetle featured at SuperBeetles.Com?
Contact wayne@superbeetles.com for more info!
- - - - -

Furthermore, he has SuperBeetles.com as his user name, and he owns a '75 La Grande.

While his LG is not necessarily a GL (and assuming it is not some goofball impersonator), one can hope for more Super articles, and therefore, more GL articles.

-René
Old July 15th 2003, 11:28

I guess we have to ask James on this...

plans

power 13b Turbo Rotary 300 hp
Wheels 18" turbo twists
inside Sparco blue racing seats
Sparco pedels, wheel, and shifter nob

Sparco Rep Andrew @ www.pilotracegear.com Good deals on Sparco stuff
Old July 15th 2003, 12:12
Superman

Wayne is a friend and club member of SuperBeetles Only! since 1999 and was very active until he started his own site "superbeetles.com" (which features all aircooled VWs).

I didn't understand the "goofball impersonator" reference but he does in fact own a '75 Super that is all stock, and very nice if I may say so.

What exactly he contributes to VW Trends I don't know as I do not read those aircooled magazines (due to lack of Germanlook coverage and that I'm more of a watercooled VW guy). I'll email him about this post and see what he says.

By the way, he has a nice index for aircooled sites:

www.allaircooled.com
Old July 15th 2003, 18:02

Thank you for sticking up for me James! I do write for VW Trends magazine and if you check the masthead in the magazine you will see my name under "contributing editors". Check the July issue because there was a mix up in the August issue. I have covered about 10 events for VWT and done one feature (Green with Envy, February 2003) so far. I have another feature or two to do this summer as well. I have a 5,000 word story in the September issue, that, is all about the Super Beetle. Right now I'm working on 4 events and another story that may show up in an issue or two.

I run SuperBeetles.Com and AllAirCooled.Com and have to thank James "Superman" Dunn for giving me the idea of starting my own site. James is a good friend and a great guy. Super owners owe him a debt of gratitude for helping the Super to gain respect on the net and all over the world.

PS. I do have a stock 1975 Super Beetle La Grande and I love the German Look, if I get another Super that will be the way I'll go! I'd love to do a feature on a German Looker but I don't know of any in my area.

Last edited by SuperBeetle; July 15th 2003 at 18:26.
Old July 16th 2003, 00:15

The "goofball impersonator" reference was just that anyone can say they are anyone on the Internet. While I enjoy VWVortex, Samba, GermanLook, SuperBeetlesOnly, et al, there are those who post who are less than truthful.

It was not a reference to the real Wayne Dean (who I never have met), VW Trends (to which I am a subscriber), or anyone else who has contributed to my knowledge base.

VW Trends and Hot VWs both tend to be repeticious in their presentations, IMO. There are times I do consider not renewing one or the other or both. The jist of my original post is hoping there will be a more diversified presentation.

I am sorry if those two words of skepticism offended anyone. On the other hand, I will continue to be of a skeptical nature for reasons I will not go into here.

I will now quietly slink off into Lurkville,
René
Old July 16th 2003, 00:54
Superman

Quote:
Originally posted by oasis
I am sorry if those two words of skepticism offended anyone.
On the other hand, I will continue to be of a skeptical nature.
No problem Rene it's good to question things and by no means begin to lurk because of this, that would be bad.

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperBeetle
VWT feature (Green with Envy, February 2003)
I haven't seen that issue, we did a feature of a car the same name Green with NV owned by Dave Whittick a Club SBO! Member, probably the same car.

Quote:
Originally posted by SuperBeetle
Super owners owe him a debt of gratitude for helping the Super to gain respect on the net and all over the world.
WOW Wayne, that's probably the best thing anyone has ever said about my efforts and is well appreciated. Makes all the work worth it.
Old July 16th 2003, 06:25

No offence taken Rene. If anyone in the Southern Ontario region has a sweet German Looker please contact me and I'll see what I can do about getting it into the pages of the magazine. I don't control what shows up in VWT. I just do my thing and hope that the editor likes it and decides to use it.

I love ALL Beetles, Supers, Standards, Verts, Cal-look, German Look, Stock, Custom (who did I miss?) We all are fans of the coolest car in the world, whatever the style we decide to go with. And yes that was Dave's car that I did the feature on. I shot the photos in Whitby Ontario behind a school. The next one I'm doing is blue '68 Standard Beetle that is totally customized. 17" Ronal alloys, BMW drilled rotors all around with a huge Porsche-style whale tail.

Old July 16th 2003, 10:49

Wayne,

there will be some very extreme GermanLookers in the GTA next year. There are about 4-5 in the works right now.

Alex