GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old December 14th 2004, 19:28

VW Trends has been given the pink slip...

Quote:
Here's the letter:

"Guys,

I wanted you guys to be the first to know: Primedia has decided to cancel the publication of VWTrends, effective immediately.

Believe me when I say that this doesn't come as a big shock to me. The writing has been on the wall for months and I've tried to fight it. Over the past many months, you may have noticed that the number of ads in the magazine was steadily dwindling from around 40 pages to less than 20 pages in the March 05 issue (which won't even be printed I hear). Because of this, it was decided that after 28 years and 268 issues (65 of which I was the editor) in print, VWTrends was no longer worth the financial effort. In short, it was killed because nobody bothered to pay attention to it.

Since many of you on this list write/shoot for me (and most of which are owed money, I'm sure), I no longer have any authority to issue checks. However, tomorrow I plan to speak with Howard Lim (my ex-publisher) to find out what it takes to set you all straight. I don't want any of you to have to sacrifice because Primedia demands higher profits. Others of you advertised in the magazine, and if you've prepaid because of a contract, I'm sure you'll get a refund. Check with your ad rep to get that straightened out. But all of you, I just wanted to say good bye to.

Because of a family emergency today, I was out of the office, so I got laid off over the phone (so much for five years of loyalty); I wasn't given the opportunity to say a formal good bye to my co-workers and friends I've made along the way, so here I am at 1am on my wife's computer. I would like to thank you all for supporting me over the years, for answering my asinine questions, for always smiling for the camera, for putting up with my pestering tech articles, my odd ideas and my sometimes off-the-wall editorials... but most of all, I'd like to thank you all for accepting me and for helping me bring to the readers the best magazine possible. When I started this job, I didn't know a whole lot about Volkswagens, but you've all helped me become the enthusiast that I am today, and before I drift off into the sunset, I want to simply say thank you.

Just remember what I've always said, "People will never appreciate VWTrends until it is gone."
Well, now it's gone.

Maybe I'll see you around,
Ryan Price"
This was taken from a thread on the samba... Click Here

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old December 14th 2004, 19:40

i hate to see another piece of the VW hobby die, but can't say it wasn't coming to them. they created their own destiny. luckily there is a new, but very much a baby rag coming soon outta the SouthEast US. It is The German Addiction. i am hoping good things come of it. he has plenty of material available in this area for sure. and a couple of key people banging on him about the German Look. especially the guy doing his website.

pay the site a visit and drop him an email (address on the site) with some support from GermanLook.com guys. let him know how much we want another mag, what we want in it, and show your support with a subscription when he gets it going.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old December 14th 2004, 19:59

Thanks for the link Zen! comment added and hope the magazine makes it.
Not many cater to just performance of the Vdub now. I havent seen the German or French ones.. nor do i wanna pay 30 bucks an issue.
DB and HOT Vws was never a favorite. Something about 80% of the issue was all offroad stuff has no interest of mine. Ads were good tho.
If someone would just take a snapshot of germanlook.com each month publish it and with a few pictures... hey!!! nah.. i didnt win the lotto yet.
This place is still the best for info and help.
Old December 14th 2004, 20:17
Administrator

I hate to see it too but Zen is right. Their path was set when they put and then kept Ryan Price at the wheel. They went away from corvering the TRENDS of our hobby and instead published the same things as there bigger rival, HVW. That was a battle they were not going to win. Then the whole BK Southeastern Dyno Day thing was just a way to quickly drive the last few nails onto the coffin by driving away a couple of key advertisers and their $$$. I think that if they would have stayed with covering the newest styles and tech of the VW hobby(German Look, Euro Look, Rat Rides, etc.), they would have kept their subscriber/advertising base and still be going strong today.

RIP VW TRENDS.
Hit the road Ryan Price.
66 Beetle, 73 Standard Beetle
72 Pinzgauer 710M
Volksport Kafer Gruppe
Old December 14th 2004, 22:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO_H2O
...Then the whole BK Southeastern Dyno Day thing was just a way to quickly drive the last few nails onto the coffin by driving away a couple of key advertisers and their $$$. ...
not that it was any substantial amount, but i know they lost a lot of subscriptions on that one. mine included. first call i got on resubscribing had me asking to be put on their no call list as well. i grew up with that mag and it was an inspiration for years (still have a decades worth of issues in the basement), but all good things come to an end and we move on. i did anyway. (of course i am now hearing my wife downstairs singing to Journey on the radio ) good ridance VWTrends. RIP.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old December 14th 2004, 23:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by zen
luckily there is a new, but very much a baby rag coming soon outta the SouthEast US. It is The German Addiction. i am hoping good things come of it. he has plenty of material available in this area for sure. and a couple of key people banging on him about the German Look. especially the guy doing his website.
I know Im one of those key people LOL

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old December 15th 2004, 12:26

Well, it's too bad that Trends got the axe, but I can't say that's i'm saddened or anything. I cancelled my subscription recently because they just didn't have to content I was looking for. I'm just tired of seeing the same cal-look cars every month. I've sinced moved on to Ultra VW and I really like that magazine.

Goodbye VWT.

'08 GTI DSG :: 1980 911 SC Track Car
1972 1302 German Looker - dearly missed

///BrooklynAutoRennen
Old December 15th 2004, 13:39

We are very lucky here in the UK, having 2 superb magazines. Ultra VW and Volksworld:

http://www.volksworld.com/

http://www.ultravw.com/ultra_vw/index.html

Sam C
Raby 2270, B spec gearbox, Lots of carbon fibre, Wolfrace Octane Black 17x7.5, Goodyear Eagle F1's, Kerscher suspension front and rear, kamei airdam in carbon, corbeau seats, momo millunium steering wheel.
CDT eurosport 6.5 front speakers, IDMAX 12D2 sub, rockford old school amps.
Old December 15th 2004, 13:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcat
We are very lucky here in the UK, having 2 superb magazines. Ultra VW and Volksworld
Yes you are, dammit!