GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Project Builds

Old April 17th 2010, 02:11

WOW! Just WOW!
Old April 19th 2010, 15:20

Yet more bodgery! Bumper repair panels poorly welded over rusted edges, overlapping the strut reinforcements and internally the bumper mounts have been stuck on with what can only be descibed as pidgeon **** to the reinforcements. It will all be cut out and done properly, I'm hopefull of being able to re-use the repair panels as there is so much overlap.

Finally on to the radiator intake! I cut the valance off and cut out this hole (same size as the license plate). I've shaped a bar hoop the same shape but a bit bigger and will tack weld that on the back side, I will then hammer form a nice rolled edge to keep it looking 'right' and will also weld on some captive studs so I can fit some mesh. I'm also considering bonding some letters to the mesh so it can be the numberplate and not restrict air flow.

Old April 20th 2010, 17:53

Here's the bar tacked on to the back of the panel after bare-metalling both parts and applying some weld through primer.

I then hammered the metal around the bar, it has created a really rigid panel now and looks much better than a plain cut edge.

Old April 21st 2010, 13:24

That came out looking great, almost like a factory bit. You guys are starting to give me the subaru itch again, and the awesome fab work isn't helping
Old April 25th 2010, 16:02

Made a start on the bumper mount panels, they were a mess!

This is what was under the 'repair' panels...

Small repair done on the 'leg' and the jagged edge trimmed back

Body captive plate needed re-making

Old April 25th 2010, 19:14

very nice work as always...

Chris
07 Chevy 3500 Dually
Old May 15th 2010, 16:49

I had just about finished both bumper mount panel repairs but then my powerfile sander belt broke and threw a piece of metal straight in the centre of my eye! I was wearing safety glasses but they obviously weren't good enough for that sort of angle.

So, last few weeks I have been in and out of the eye surgery and it still hasn't healed properly. My plan was to paint late july but will have to wait and see how my recovery goes as the last thing I need is to get crap in an unhealed eye wound!

Here are some pics of where I got to though:

Main and chargecooler radiator mocked up to finalise mounting.

small section still needs repairing on near side...

I've also decided to redo the bodywork I did a while back over the back of the radiator. Also trying to come up with a nice compact way of ducting hot air flow into the stock ventilation system in the dash. That's a stock polo matrix/blower but I may just use the matrix and the stock bug blower. I also have to cut down the headlight washer reservoir to clear the radiator.
Old May 15th 2010, 17:09

Very slick, can't wait to see it shiny!

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old May 16th 2010, 01:33

Having had several eye surgeries myself I wish you the best in your recovery. Depending on the surgery you had (the invasive kind) you might expect early onset cataracts.

Regarding the car, I like how you mounted the radiators. They look like a tight fit, what car were they sourced from?
Old May 16th 2010, 04:51

Hey Humble, I remember you saying about your eye problems, how are you getting on, from what you said a while back I didn't think you'd still be driving now? Over here a surgery is the same thing as a clinic, I haven't had actual surgery on them, just scraping on the surface with needles several times, not that that's exactly a pleasant experience either!

The only radiator mount done so far is the top main rad bushings, I'll mount the chargecooler one off a second round tube welded in and probably have it so that it slots down between some posts at the base as I really want to avoid reducing flow to the main radiator. They are both manufactured by Pace and were originally destined for a Ford Sierra Cosworth as upgrade items. They are really good quality items and fit perfectly once the main side mounts were cut off the main radiator...
Old May 16th 2010, 20:50

Looking great Ricola! Hope you have a speedy recovery.

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old May 17th 2010, 01:02

My eyes are ok-ish. I can still see well enough but my retinas are scarred and I've started developing cataracts due to the surgeries. I do fine in the day for the most part but at night or in places with high contrast I'm nearly blind, to the point that I try to avoid driving at night. There will be another surgery down the road I'm sure for the cataracts but for now I just have to deal with it.
Old May 17th 2010, 07:38

Hi Rich,
My sympathies with the eye treatment. I know hoe you feel having had a piece of metal drilled out of my eye because they couldn't pick it out with the needle. Nowdays I am fanatical about good quality goggles or full face mask. I never want to have that treatment again!

I see you have the charge cooler up front. Won't that mean horrendous lag problems since the engine and the turbo are in the rear? I would have thought the charge cooler needs to be in the engine bay giving the shortest route between turbo and inlet manifold.

Clive
Old May 17th 2010, 13:18

Hi Clive,

Drilling sounds REALLY bad!!

It's just the radiator for the air/water chargecooler system up front, using the subaru legacy chargecooler set-up at the engine end...

Rich
Old May 17th 2010, 17:00

Eye is getting much better with the steroids so went out and did some work on the bug!

As I was working on the front end I wasn't happy with how I did the new panelwork behind the radiator so I'm redoing it now I have decent access with the body in the air.

Front section of spare wheel well filled in with new beadrolled panel and framework is being made up with captive nuts so a removable cover can go over the top.