GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Suspension

Old April 3rd 2006, 16:33

Info on strut top mount

I wonder if any one can give me some information on the strut top mount on a 1973 1303. I'm converting the front struts to slimline kerscher struts, the later type two bolt setup ( from 3 originally ). On the strut top mount has an VW part number 823 412 355 . I'm wondering if this is the correct mount or wrong mount.
The reason being , the top coil seating does not sit into the cup of the top mount, there seems to be an 1/4" gap between the two. This does not look right, the bearing in the top mount seems to be to big hence not allowing the coil seating to sit in the cup of the mount correctly.
Can I use the old style strut top mount of the pre 73 to fit the later 2 bolt struts.
Hope I've explained myself clear enough. If not then a picture will say a thousand words.
Hope some one can enlighten me.
Cheers
Veeman
Old April 3rd 2006, 18:12

Veeman,

I did this conversion also with max strut. For the late two bolt set up you need the late topmount, for the early you use the early. Not really interchangeable.

I have a 73 with the old set up that I converted to late, and the only thing I kept were the old mounts..

Hope that helps
Alex
Tele: 973 204-5463
Old April 4th 2006, 11:28

Thanks for the info. Looking at what is supposed to be a late type strut mount, the VW part number does not look right. For an 1303 it should at least start with 113....... As in my above post, it looks like it could be from another model, golf ( rabbit), passat or some thing along those lines.
So has any one got the right part number for this later strut mount, so I can compare it with mine I have.
Cheers
Veeman