GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Body

Old October 31st 2006, 18:55

German Look Project commences...

Having been off the road for 6 years...(yes im ashamed of myself) I am finally in a position to commence my German Look Project. Its a 69 s/a but will be converted to IRS.

Its nearly stripped now, then the body is coming off to go to the bodyshop whilst I repair the chassis. What do you guys reccommend to finish the chassis...cant decide on Powder Coat or POR-15!

The colour is really doing my nut in...can either respray in the current Metallic Grey or a fresh colour in a pearlescent blue

Im not going to be racing it (got a mk2 golf gti for that) so it will have carpets and full seats, but I quite fancy c/f door cards, but I cant find them anywhere! Might go for a basic roll bar/cage for strength and protection.

Pics soon...

Anyway, anyone got any thoughts ideas I should be thinking about before I get too far in?

Thanks, Craig.
Old October 31st 2006, 22:02

Powder coat, or POR-15 are excellent choices. The one thing that stands out about POR-15 is you can add or remove bits (if welding and grinding is involved), and just repaint that area. With powder coat you have to totally remove the part, and rebake it in an oven. Both are quite durable products (I have used both types for years).

1962 SC 1776cc SP 944NA brakes, 993 wheels

VKG
Old November 1st 2006, 12:09

I used to use POR-15 but now use rustbullet, much nicer to use and just as good but more tolerant to smooth surfaces. The thing that bugged me with POR is that it would peel off if the surface was too clean (like all my panels seem to be after being stripped with my angle grinder with wire wheel)
Rich