GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Off Topic

Old May 22nd 2003, 10:51

1975 1303 on eBay - help

Hi,

I haven't looked at a car in a few weeks because I have stubbornly decided on a 1975 1303 as a base for my German Look project because of rack and pinion steering. I have passed on looking at other 1302 and 1303 options -- perhaps to my detriment.

Anyway, there is a '75 on eBay and it is an hour or so away from where I live. This should make an in-person inspection easy to accomplish. Since it is over a holiday weekend, it may be difficult for me to arrange a time to go when my mechanic can also go.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6019

Here is the contained description:
This beetle has been awesome for me and I am sad to see it go! She is a 75 super beetle. I drove this car everyday for the 7 months I owned it. I recently got pregnant and she has to go! She was due for inspection at the end of april. I didn't get it done because she will not pass till the floor pans are done. I have bumpers, floorpans and a roof rack. All the break lines and the battery have been recently replaced. she purs like a kitten and has NEVER left me sit. The sunroof does not leak, and the dash is original. the interior seats and door panels are in pretty good shape. she has standard beetle rust (floor pans, and where the bodies and fenders meet) but with time and love she could be GREAT!! I dreamed of fixing her up but well there just isn't going to be time or money with a baby on the way!

I was kind of hoping for a rust-free example. I will look for rust in the problem areas as described by Keith Seume in his Custom VWs book.

How concerned should I be with replacing floor pans? How costly (US$) is this to have a shop do it?

I don't care about the fenders (or the fact the bloody thing is purple) since I have plans for that already, but I am concerned about "where the bodies and fenders meet" since new fenders have to be attached to something.

What should I look for as this being a problem as far as cost and as far as being insurmountable?

I am very anxious but I do not want to make a bad decision.

Thank you in advance,
René
Old May 22nd 2003, 11:10

I wouldnt be too concerned about the floor pans, they can be replaced by a reputable shop for $600 or less.

Check inside the car, especially the heater channels where they meet up with the front door post. this is harder to fix then the floor pans.

Late model beetles usually have rust near the rear of the side pop out windows also, this is very common and easily repaired.

As far as rust where the fenders meet the body, dont be too worried about it, unless there is major cancer under the wheel wells also.

If the car shimmies when you drive it, this is a very common Super Beetle problem that is easily fixed when you upgrade the suspension. You must replace all ball joints, bushings, tie rod ends and then probably the struts too if you plan on lowering it.

I hope this helps some

'I drive way to fast to worry about cholesterol!'

'67 Sunroof Notchback * '68 FI Squareback
Old May 22nd 2003, 13:06

Thanks, vujade.

The $600 figure is good to know. I never priced that in the past since given I was looking for a rust-free example. The wheel well issue is good to note also.

I've already looked into shimmy problems in the past including the reading of what Topline has to say. I've also been told about potential rust problem issues up front that may not be so easy with which to deal as well as looking into any previous accident history with the front end.

I've forwarded some questions to the owner. We'll see. Thanks again.
Old May 27th 2003, 03:36

Hi Oasis,
I couldn't agree more for your decision to look for a '75 model 1303. I looked for mine several years, since only 32 (!) were registered in my counntry! Mine also has a sunroof: very nice. It took me a very long time to restore (rust), but I was glad to find one for normal money anyway as you might understand.
Did you buy the car?
Walter
Old May 28th 2003, 09:33

Hi Wally,

As of this writing, there are eleven hours left in the auction. Because of weather, conflicting schedules and the dish running away with the spoon, I was unable to see the car in person. The current bid is around US$600. The description in the e-mails wasn't much help as this person is either (a) dumber than me or (b) trying to hide some existing problems.

My guess is the former. The reserve was only US$500. If the price doesn't change, I may toss out a minimum increase bid -- but I doubt it. I am put off by at least not being able to just see it.

There is another one for sale by a VW mechanic. It runs well but has some serious rust issues. I am really trying to avoid that sort of restoration. I haven't yet inquired about that car as to its price. I may try to take my mechanic with me to see it.

I have in my library of VW literature the sales figures of Beetles and Super Beetles. It doesn't break down the numbers by country, but '75 1303s are vastly rarer than earlier 1302s and 1303s as a total.

At the moment, my stubbornness is winning over my anxiousness.
Old May 28th 2003, 14:35

Must be exiting!
In europe, the '75 model 1303 is regarded as 'the split screen bug of tomorrow'. Reading your post, you will have one one way or the other :-)
Good luck.
Walter
Old May 28th 2003, 17:30

Cool

Hi

My english is not so verry wel but i trie it.

Also please check up if there is any rust in the front part of the bug, at the height of the frontsuspension.
If this is verry rusty, what also was with mine 1974 1303... It can't be maked... without any NOS-parts. Because this is double platework.

And if you are not sure if there is any hidden rust, please take a paintscrabber with you en scrab it there.
Also look for strange looks on the in site, it can be polyester.. and that sucks.. I have experience with that.

I hope i don't have turned you down... (that was not what i exactly wanted to say, but i don't now to say it in other words...) Why did I din't followed the english lessons well???

But look good at the common places...
And i wiss ya suc6..

Greatz..Wiebrand
Old May 29th 2003, 06:46

Well, Racelook, your English is better than my Dutch. "And that sucks" was used correctly in every sense. More importantly, your advice is quite sound and I decided not to bid on a car I couldn't see. (There are no pictures in the eBay ad.)

The "winning" bid was US$726.

Wally, I am not sure what "the split screen bug of tomorrow" means exactly, but you're probably correct that some day I will have the car of my desires. I may take a closer look at the other one I mentioned, but exteriorly (a word I probably just made up) it gave me pause the first time I saw it.

Thanks to all for the words of advice and encouragement.
Old May 29th 2003, 14:46

Quote:
Originally posted by oasis
Well, Wally, I am not sure what "the split screen bug of tomorrow" means exactly,
Since the rack and pinion 1303 coupé was made during, well, not even a hole year of production, people think it will become much sought after and will be/ is as rare as a pre - 1953 (split rear window) bug. Not sure if it is that drasticly rare already, but its an underestimated car IMO anyway.

You probably did the wise thing if you don't want to risk restoring rusted out panels...(who does really).
Good luck on the hunt.
Walter
Old May 30th 2003, 09:38

Hmmm ... maybe in Europe but I would doubt that would be the case here in the States. Rarity is only on the supply side of the Econ 101 cartoon. Demand plays an equal part.

VW 411s and 412s rarely command much of a price, and they are extremely rare. (I was interested in getting one before (a) buying my wife a 2002 Golf TDI and (b) discovering German Look VWs.) Nobody wants them if they need to be restored because restoring them is such a major undertaking. There was one on eBay two weeks after we got the Golf that was in superior condition. I made a bid as far as my disposable income would take me at that time after I drove three hours to drive and inspect it. If I could, I would have placed a bid of more than the US$3000 it took to win the auction.

Super Beetles here are far less costly than comparable standards. I realize it is "apples and oranges" comparing 1302s/1303s with 411s/412s but I don't foresee the US market changing its desires.

Then again, I could be wrong.

1957 Fords outsold '57 Chevrolets 3:1. Until sometime in the 1970s, their resale was quite comparable with each other. The Chevy somehow became symbolic of the '50s and its price continues to balloon at an enormous rate compared to the Ford (even the one with the retractable roof). They didn't suddenly become rarer; they became more desired.

I agree with you that the '75 1303 is an underestimated car. I think all Supers are.