GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > Technical Section > Engines

Old March 9th 2006, 10:55

Porsche Engine question

From what I understand, it isn't possible to fit a 911 6 cyl engine in a beetle because it's too long, and also of course a lot heavier.
Does anyone have any idea by how much they are too long roughly (please don't answer 2 cylinders too long )

I'm guessing it must be less than 3" because you can fit a porsche box and type 4 engine in ok and still close the engine lid. Any ideas would be gratefully received!
Old March 9th 2006, 12:54

LOL,
I was just pondering and searching the web on this topic.

Also curious..
loaf
Old March 9th 2006, 13:24

There are ways of doing it if one is really determined.

One way is to cut the rear apron and have the engine stick out the back. I know you asked how much and I have only seen this once with a Baja. Since the engine area was open with the lid and fenders non-stock, it would be hard for me to guess off of a ten-year old memory. If forced to guess, I would say six inches. It did strike me that it was quite a bit and it would look extremely abnormal on a regular bug.

The other I have seen was even longer ago. This person moved everything forward. It required a lot of fabricating as well as the removal of the rear seat. He did a nice job but I got the same sense then as I did at BugJam last November when looking at bugs with V-8's in the front -- a lot of work for the wow, but how practical is it reallly if one wanted to genuinely drive it?

A quick search on the latter netted me one pic.

I didn't see any blow-by-blow descriptions on how it was done but it seems Kennedy Engineering makes adaptor plates to mate trannies to engine.

Then, there's another novel idea I came across when searching. Instead of adapting the engine to a bug chassis and body, he adapted a bug body to a 911 chassis. From there, the engine was easier to work with and he was able to keep other Porsche things like the electricals. Here's the link:
Project 50/50
Old March 10th 2006, 15:16

I have gone that route about 10 years ago and even got myself a 2,7 6-cyl 911 engine for it (as they are the last ones with the magnesium cases: less extra weight).
With a bug-tranny moved foreward about 1 inch, I could get the front pulley just in front of the rear apron in original position !
However, the fan sitting high on top of the case in that position, made closing of the deck lid impossible. I even had plans to move the fan to the other side of the engine and drive it off an original cam pulley (which is there with the Kugelfisher mech. injection engines)... There is a Karmann Ghia in this country that has done s/th like that way back then.

Then the then new inspection rules made it near impossible to use a 6-cyl engine on an original 4-cyl. type-approval...so I sold the whole lot.

Regards,
Walter
Old April 14th 2006, 03:48

Any further info Wally?

Wally, on the Ghia you mentioned (way back when) any way for me to search this info?

Since I have three Supers, my last will be a type IV or a big A$$ 911 turbo, so any German site for me to follow
Old April 14th 2006, 10:58

Hello FV,
With 'this country' I meant the country I live in, which isn't Germany
The Netherlands is a small, but souverein country west of Germany...

So, the white Ghia is a dutch car and the owner doesn't visit forums afaik. There may be a pic s/where of a meeting he went to, but I wouldn't know where to look.
Sorry...

Best regards,
Walter
Old April 14th 2006, 12:13

Wally how are the overhead cam engine coming along.
Old April 14th 2006, 12:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad bug
Wally how are the overhead cam engine coming along.
That will still take some time.