GermanLook Forums  

Go Back   GermanLook Forums > General > Members Rides

Old June 25th 2005, 05:05

All about guages here http://www.germanlook.com/Forums/sho...&page=1&pp=15&

I have a couple extra cnc dash plates for those interested.
Old July 4th 2005, 08:50

damn, thats one awesome looking bug.

i'll bet it rips. did you plan on racing it or is it gonna be street driven?
Old July 5th 2005, 20:45

Thanks. Do both -- race (limited for now) and street driven -- that's the beauty of GL.
Old July 6th 2005, 12:34

Hi Bill, back in the US?

Just wanted to say your car is a real beauty (wish my car looked half as good), and just love those Fuchs alloy's :bowdown:
Also the tech-aspect of your car is very interesting: CHT and EGT sensors on all cilinders and the ability to log all the data is amazing!

Unfortunately I'm out of the running at the moment: one of my scat aluminum pushrods just snapped at 6000 rpm (due to a material flaw), and destroyed a lightweight lifter and the pushrodtube

Anyway, have fun with that car and send over some video-clips if you make some

Grtz. Robin
Old July 6th 2005, 18:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder
Anyway, have fun with that car and send over some video-clips if you make some

Grtz. Robin
Hell yeah...

Give us some vids

See ya next time

Wiebrand
Old July 9th 2005, 12:10

Robin - sorry to hear that, but I like your make it and break it approach. You just needed a real reason to pull it and fix the leaks... It was a blast ripping around in your Blue Thunder and hanging out.

Adding video to the datalogger playback with gps track map would be very cool. The software plays back the graphs (temps, speed, revs, g's, etc), track map position, and video simultaneously. see http://www.race-technology.com/WebPa...e/NewInV5.html

I'm going to get back on the car after vacation. I'll be adding extra eccentric adjusters for more camber, installing adjustable spring plates, and getting it aligned finally. Then I look forward to carving some turns (with video).

Wiebrand - see you next time -- maybe this winter
Old May 12th 2006, 01:53

Well the adjustable spring plates are in and modified for decamber. The ride height is re-set and cross-weight adjusted (50.8% LR-RF). The car weights 1950 lb with a full tank.

The front end still has a couple issues. First, the right front tire rubs the fender lip with the 1.5" spacer on. Appearantly, Porsche are known to have a similar chassis offset where the body seems to be shifted to the left. When I fit the spacers I only measured the left side . Next time, measure both sides and spit the difference... The offset seems to be a little here and a little there when I measure fenders, beam, arms, etc. I've removed the front spacers for now.

Second, the left front cannot be adjusted into negative camber (RF is at -1.2 deg max with extra eccentric adjuster). It is maxed at 0 camber now. Next up is to check the left control arms for bends. It figures that a brand new Brazilian beam with control arms would be bent... I'll be swapping in new left control arms to see if bending is the issue.

I've gone over the suspension and brakes re-torquing and tweaking, so I'm confident it is solid now (aside from the LF camber).

It continues to be a blast to drive. I love the torquey motor, firm suspension, and tight steering/shifting. I just got a video camera mount that I'm looking forward to trying out this weekend.

Before Memorial Day, I'll be road-trippin' with Jake from Atlanta to Sac in the Plague. Memorial Day will be Bug-O-Rama Sac with the T4 conversion crew gathering. And in June, Zen and I will be road-tripping from Sac to Anaheim and back for The Classic This will be the first big trip in the car since restoration

The Carbon Joe front spoiler turned out great and noticably holds the front end down at high speed. I'm thankful I got one. :agree:
Old June 1st 2006, 16:17

Bill all I got to say is this :agree: !!!!
Old June 2nd 2006, 00:54

for sure..... Bills car looks sharp in person! i was totaly confuzed when i had seen bills car at BOR for the first time in person as the color was off from what i thought it should look like... as i had only seen in picture form. i had this weird feeling like i knew the car, but just couldent put a finger on whos it was. i finally figured it out once Bill and i started talking.... i almost forgot what bill looked like, only meeting him once before at a BOR 2 years ago.

I wish i could have seen your pass on the drag strip! i missed out on that
I was to busy roaming around, gather parts (mostly for our Thing).

Anyways, hope your trip goes well with Zen... should be a blast!
Are you guys going to have both cars (zens and yours?)

BTW bill, do you have any leads on where i can find a front bumper impact strip for the europa bumpers? i cant find them anywhere!!

Current cars:
-74 Super Beetle
-86 Vanagon Syncro
-64 sunroof bug
-73 thing
Old June 2nd 2006, 13:10

Hey Bill,

It was nice to see your car on Sunday! It didn't click till later, I was like, 'hey, I know that car' and then I went back and checked it out some more. Looked great. I thought the juxtaposition of your car next to the rat rods was funny!

How was your run anyway?

Jason
1st Drag Run

Dyno Run
Oval Ragster-'57 Rag/'04 Boxster S
Old June 2nd 2006, 17:02

My first drag-race was like many first-time things I do -- jump in and make all the mistakes. It started by not having the borrowed helmet buckled as I approached the lane, so I fumbled with that. Then I had no clue about staging, so I got schooled while delaying the show. Then I "deep staged" without knowing that it's okay. The starter guy had to wave me down the track with a loud "GO". After missing 2nd, I started to have fun.

So, yes, you did miss a good laugh...

Zen is flying out for business, so we're making the all-nighter trek in my car.

I'm cleaning the pollen out of my carbs that I picked up doing Misquito Ridge Rd and oiling the filters. The entire engine bay was coated yellow/green! EGT sensor shows #4 running rich on idle and lean on decel at cruise -- idle circuit... I shot some video, but the CruiseCam mount I have picks up all the car vibration and the video makes you car sick. Awesome road though!

Euro front bumper rubber was taken off a euro parts car in Germany. More here
Old June 2nd 2006, 17:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K.
Zen is flying out for business, so we're making the all-nighter trek in my car.
and REALLY looking forward to it. cleaning off the 1GB SD card this week. time for 1000+ pics and vids from the classic.

Company Branding, Graphic Design, and Web Services at DigiVinci Design
Old June 2nd 2006, 17:39

so how does the car do in the 1/4 mile? also how do you miss 2nd? hope you had fun make me want to race 1/4 mile alls we have here is an 1/8 mile
Old June 2nd 2006, 18:07

I heart Mosquito Ridge Rd too.
Old June 8th 2006, 05:05

hey bill so your bug will be at the VW classic this coming sunday? i really want to check out those front rub strips on your front bumper. where did you get those? i been looking all over.